My new '87 Ramcharger build thread

Gregz

Observer
luvvin the rc buddy. I had a beautiful 87 last year, 360 with a 4 spd. as she was sittin in my yard, a texting kid drove off the road, and right into my truck, totaled the old gurl. enjoy her while you can

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
The morning after the hitch install, my wife and son immobilized Ryan by using the wrong key in the ignition lock cylinder. The "Mitsubishi" key they used ruined the cylinder, had to be extracted with a 4-lb sledge hammer after they jammed it in with a smaller hammer...wouldn't work they told me, then read the key. Around my work schedule, I tore into the column to replace the broken cylinder.

Since that repair, I have driven the truck to work several times and have determined that I'll likely delete the 6" lift. I think a return to near stock height and opening the front fenders will be a better solution for big tires. I discovered the cause of one clunk to be missing shock bushing material and another to be the rear sway bar links all bent to hell trying to control the rear, stacked lift blocks (BAD!!).

I am gathering all the stereo gear I have, preparing to install a 500W amp, speakers, CD changer and similar audio devices. I found my CB antenna wire splitter and have plans for 2 whips. Sometimes I use the truck for work and converse with contractors via CB.

That is all to report today. ;)

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Yes, I am a proud third owner. There are some rust issues because of sitting, but only affecting things like brake springs, shoes and backing plates. This truck lived in dry eastern Oregon and drier NorCal south of Mt. Shasta.

The radiator and hoses all sprung leaks, looked like a green soaker hose under the hood. :(

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Tried out my hitch install today by moving two trailers around my yard. Worked well, but was mindful of the leaking water and heat.141_1055.jpg141_1057.jpg

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Another month has passed almost, and I haven't had Ryan out of the yard. I pulled the radiator, transported it to the nearest shop about 45 miles away and requested a rod-out and reseal. About a week elapsed before I received the call telling me the top tank was hashed due to too many stress cracks. Sucked that day!

I went on a mini-vacay to SoCal to visit an ailing relative, so Ryan had a week off to languish. Poor Ryan, sitting in the sun. :(

I found a local DIY wrecking yard with a Dodge D350 equipped with a nice, newer 3-core radiator. Grabbed it, the 7-blade heavy duty fan and fan shroud. These pieces now reside in the Ramcharger engine bay, and I began to remove the hoses tonight. I was shocked to find all original radiator hoses dated 3/87 and 6/87! The heater hoses are all branded MOPAR, and likely OE. Only the bypass hose is newer. Upon removing the top hose, I was not impressed with the visual condition of the water outlet, all crudded up from the seeping hose. I found a 1/2-inch hole in the neck, darn. More things to purchase.

Tomorrow, I'll visit the parts store and get the other parts needed. Not sure if the thermostat is OE, but who knows now, it's going bye bye. Once I get the cooling system repaired, I can save $$ for the thing I want to replace hopefully. Trails and tribulations of a 25yo vehicle. :smiley_drive:

Cheers.

Last edited:

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
Good call on the radiator and fan. I put in a new radiator from Performance Radiator that was for a late '70s truck with tow truck option. I have been looking for a heavy duty clutch and 7 blade fan for mine with no luck, it runs cool without but a little extra cooling is always a good thing.

Don't forget the waterpump.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Water pump is about 2 years old and only 600 miles on it since. PO did not drive this truck often. Viewed impeller with my Mag-lite, everything looked ship shape.

I know of another truck with a 7-blade fan if you'd like me to grab it??

firesq14

Observer
my trucks_0003.jpgmy trucks_0001.jpg

here are two that i had at one time. an 86 and a 91.
damn i miss thoses two trucks.

i still have the factory rollbar from the 86 if you may be interested.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Thanks for the offer on the rollbar; however, I have a line on one locally for about $10 and a 6-pack.

That is another of my planned additions to Ryan, though.

kcatto

Wow great truck.... I am a certified Mopar nut..... especially Ramchargers... I have only one left but I have had 11 over the last 12 years... I get them fix em up and then save another one.... I had to sell off the herd I had in 2009, after an injury in 2008 and I could not get up into over half of them.... I still have my favorite one which is a 1977 ramcharger SE adventure Macho addition... I pulled the 440 and Big block tranny and sold it to a buddy and rebuilt an older 360 and small block 727, I am still running the original NP 203 T-case full time 4wd... the thing has lockers in the front and rear from the factory, they were an option for the Macho in 1977... Very cool rig you got there... You are doing a great job.... Just holler if you need any help or etc....I think I have the factory service manuals on CD for that truck and I will send you what you need if it would help you out, just let me know....

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I, too, am an old hand with Dodges. Here are some samples of my past trucks:
100_0514.JPGDodge_with_36s.jpgPlaying in Poppies.jpg1975 W200 ClubCab.jpgW200_Club_Cab_Service_Truck.jpg

My new Ramcharger is the first purchased without being intended as a work vehicle. I intend family use for this new one.

Some trucks were purchased strictly for the parts they had or contained, some were built and sold. I started with a '77 W300 dually that I put a walk-in service body on. It was one of my 2 favorite trucks, but was stolen. The string of trucks that followed never quite satisfied my loss. The last two pics above show a '75 W200 that I stumbled on with a fresh 440, auto, Adventurer package with 9,500 lb GVW, dual D60s, and all the then-present bells and whistles. I added the service body, of course, because this was to be a work truck. We tried to flat tow the truck and this operations wasn't going to work. Another year elapsed and a friend offered to buy the service body, sold it. The truck chassis made it's way to Oregon and became parts for someone's Ramcharger. Alas, I really liked the combo and would otherwise still have it.

Also, in a further attempt to replace my W300, I tried a Chevy. I liked the Chevy bunches, but after the fuel drained out of the injector pump, the water pump started to leak, etc. I could never get it to restart. Darn carby gas guy bought a diesel and was out of his element.
Red Chevy.jpg

Favorite of my 65 cars, trucks and trailers is my little Dodge Raider, Roxy. Purchase cheap, driven hard and long, and she always came back for more. Now she awaits restomod.
Raider (194).JPG

Last edited:

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
Water pump is about 2 years old and only 600 miles on it since. PO did not drive this truck often. Viewed impeller with my Mag-lite, everything looked ship shape.

I know of another truck with a 7-blade fan if you'd like me to grab it??

Thank for the offer but I am sure one will turn up around here. It runs cool right now so it would just be for added peace of mind.
Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12