MY new bike. Another whoot!!

ThomD

Explorer
I'm a coward - no carbon fiber in structural parts for me. My new tandem will have CF brake levers and that's about it.

Hey Tim - I think you've been robbed. Looks like they left a bunch of spokes off that bike.:sombrero:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
Way back in the early 1990s during the anodizing and ultra light craze, I had the right side of my Blue Answer Hyperlight bars break off. I dislocated my shoulder in that wreck, hard to operate the back brakes! But, yeah, most other failures have been serious wreck-free.
In 1991 I was bombing down a trail in Winter Park, Co when my Klein bar/stem combi ripped open like a potato chip bag. Face....dirt....pain. Or, in 1989 when I was living at the Olympic Training Center in Co Springs, we were climbing up to Manatou Springs when my American Classic post snapped. ***....pavement.....pain.

For those reasons, I ride Thompson posts and stems.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
ThomD said:
I'm a coward - no carbon fiber in structural parts for me. My new tandem will have CF brake levers and that's about it.
I'm the opposite. On my road bikes I only use carbon bars because aluminum bars have a far greater failure rate, especially the sub 220 gram bars. I even feel safer on most carbon stems. Posts? I don't mind carbon posts, but I've always been spooked by bonded clamps on carbon shafts.

ThomD

Explorer
Flounder said:
I'm the opposite. On my road bikes I only use carbon bars because aluminum bars have a far greater failure rate, especially the sub 220 gram bars. I even feel safer on most carbon stems. Posts? I don't mind carbon posts, but I've always been spooked by bonded clamps on carbon shafts.

My MTB probably has Al bars, but I'm pretty sure that our road bikes have steel.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
ThomD said:
My MTB probably has Al bars, but I'm pretty sure that our road bikes have steel.
STEEL? I take it those roadies are a few years old? I just bought carb bars for my mountain bike. Did it cuz they're perdy.

ThomD

Explorer
Flounder said:
STEEL? I take it those roadies are a few years old? I just bought carb bars for my mountain bike. Did it cuz they're perdy.

Nope, the new tandem is in the paint booth. All bikes are 2-4 years old. Different people have different ideas of pretty.

legolas_06.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
That's a sweet bike, Thom. What is it?

Those are most certainly aluminum bars. I haven't seen a steel drop bar in many moons.

ThomD

Explorer
Flounder said:
That's a sweet bike, Thom. What is it?

Those are most certainly aluminum bars. I haven't seen a steel drop bar in many moons.

Hmm. Could be right about the bars. I never asked. I'll have to get the magnet out when I get home.

The bike is my wife's Rivendell Legolas. Steel frame, CF brake levers, leather bar tape and saddle.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
ThomD said:
Hmm. Could be right about the bars. I never asked. I'll have to get the magnet out when I get home.

The bike is my wife's Rivendell Legolas. Steel frame, CF brake levers, leather bar tape and saddle.
That's what I thought it was. It certainly has Rivi looking attributes.

Paul Neo-retro brakes, huh? Ooooooo......fancy.:bike_rider:

ThomD

Explorer
Flounder said:
That's what I thought it was. It certainly has Rivi looking attributes.

Paul Neo-retro brakes, huh? Ooooooo......fancy.:bike_rider:

Yup. It is the "pull out all the stops, any thing you want dear" bike for her double centuries.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
SOAZ said:
2005 Santa Cruz Blur. Tubeless rims and tires. All XT.
My dream bike.
Tim -- I definitely should not have taken your bike out for a ride last weekend. Even if it was only for a few minutes. Very smooth ride. Now my bike feels like I'm riding in deep sand.
Congrats on the sweet deal!!

Head up here to Flagstaff for some trail rides this summer before your tires melt to the pavement in Phoenix..

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
tacozona said:
Tim -- I definitely should not have taken your bike out for a ride last weekend. Even if it was only for a few minutes. Very smooth ride. Now my bike feels like I'm riding in deep sand.
Congrats on the sweet deal!!

Head up here to Flagstaff for some trail rides this summer before your tires melt to the pavement in Phoenix..

Will do. I'm thinking we should do some Flagstaff rides, meet up with Flounder for some Prescott and Sedona rides too!
I'll let you ride it again just to get you fully addicted! I can quit anytime I want!

vcsnover

Adventurer
Beautiful bike, that sure is a whole buncha spacers on that steering tube! I got a Surly Cross Chek about six weeks ago, same set up with the bar end shifters and canti brakes... not as nice as your Rivi though.

ThomD

Explorer
vcsnover said:
Beautiful bike, that sure is a whole buncha spacers on that steering tube! I got a Surly Cross Chek about six weeks ago, same set up with the bar end shifters and canti brakes... not as nice as your Rivi though.

Yeah, the spacers look a little funny, but she likes the bike.

Have ant picts of the Cross Check? I have to admit that I find the Surly line of bikes a little confusing. They have a lot of frames and I'm not sure I understand the subtle differences between them. One thing is for sure, I wish I could find a reason to own a Pugsley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior