My new expo/adv steed

turner

I have had one crazy week/weekend. Bought a house last thursday, stripped a lot of the interior of the house, redid a ton, traded my baby aka 2007 Honda cbr600rr for an ugly pig of a dr-z400s (My wife thinks its ugly, I love it though) :elkgrin: and just today got to play a little. Tomorrow I plan on doing some miles of gravel, two track, and single track.

This is how I got it. Set up pretty well for the TAT, and general exploring.

DRZ3.jpg

I stripped it down tonight.

DRZ51.jpg

DRZ5.jpg

I need some 606's, a fender eliminator, regear, and do some power mods. I kinda like the quiet stock exhaust, but I gotta have more power.... Soon I'll build some 17" wheels for the track. Not sure if I will keep the standard forks for the 17s or grab some inverted.... Anywho I am so excited. What ya'll think??? I've been glancing on Thumpertalk and ADVrider for idears. :bike_rider:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Holy cow, how big is that large tank?

The DRZ is a capable bike. I can't believe how well my buddy does on the tight trails and gnarly rocky rooty rutted wet stuff in the Pacific Northwest.

Search ADVR for reviews of the 606s; I thought everyone hated those but I could be wrong as its not a tire type for my bike.

I run a Pirelli MT43 trials tire in the rear. Its getting very worn and everyone is still amazed at how well it performs.

Check out the Pirelli Scorpian series too, have met guys on the trail with them and they've been extremely happy.

Good luck with the new ride. Your black bike looks a million times better than his blue. (****, i hope he doesn't read this!)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"Holy cow, how big is that large tank?"

18-25 ltrs it looks like, around here its pretty normal
as in the boonies gas stations are few and far apart

I'm still scared to fit my 25ltr to my bike as its definitely in the HUGE range

my standard tank in the desert only gets me 70 to 80KM per tank, the rear tire does more km as it spends most of its time happily spinning away

looks a lot better cleaned up !

local bikes for thirsty sand trails......on CRF450's

437047648_ikAxE-M.jpg

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
What you need to do is find a way to get that Corbin back on the DRZ :Wow1: I just sold DRZ in June to get the XChallenge. I really liked it - just wanted something a bit more streetable.

As far as I recall, D606s are fairly highly regarded - at least for the rear. Maybe not so much for the front, but I am just going off memory from other posters. I had GP-1s on my DRZ, but I wanted more of a 50-50 tire.

Thumpertalk is definitely the resource for DRZs. Congrats.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
What you need to do is find a way to get that Corbin back on the DRZ :Wow1: I just sold DRZ in June to get the XChallenge. I really liked it - just wanted something a bit more streetable.

As far as I recall, D606s are fairly highly regarded - at least for the rear. Maybe not so much for the front, but I am just going off memory from other posters. I had GP-1s on my DRZ, but I wanted more of a 50-50 tire.

Thumpertalk is definitely the resource for DRZs. Congrats.

Thanks for clairfying that. I knew there was a good possibility I was confused about it.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I have been running the Dunlop D606 front and rear tires for the last couple months and about 3,000 miles. They have proven very comfortable on the street and highway up to 90mph or so however I believe they are speed rated up to 80mph only.... I try to not go past 75 on the hwy.

They have also proven very capable on hardpack, in deep soft sand and on the rocks including sharp shale and rough volcanic rocks.

1.jpg

Last edited:

mcgovski

Adventurer
more DRZ's

Great looking bike!
If I might suggest a few things...get rid of those stock bars...they will bend in a minor off...and wider foot pegs will make off road stuff better when up on the pegs.

looks like you are pretty squared and ready to go. Hit the TAT.

Chris

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Great looking bike!
If I might suggest a few things...get rid of those stock bars...they will bend in a minor off...and wider foot pegs will make off road stuff better when up on the pegs.

looks like you are pretty squared and ready to go. Hit the TAT.

Chris

It is indeed a great looking bike.

A friend of mine (a former enduro racer) says the wider foot pegs make it more difficult to wheelie while standing up. I guess it makes sense. Do you guys agree?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12