My new "expo" bike

jammyauto

Adventurer
Here's my new Lynskey backroads tourer. It's got couplers on it so it will break down. The drivertrain is shimano ultergra. The wheels are hand built with hadley hubs, 36 spoke. The brakes are avid mechanical discs. Next up will be a set of custom built ti racks and full panier set. My first trip will be the USA west coast, north to south. I'll putup more pictures as the bike becomes more outfitted.
unsorted%20722%20(Medium).jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like a great bike. Good choice on the components too.

If you need any help up here in the PNW I live near Bellingham. Are you going to start up at the Canadian border?

Christopher

------------------------------------

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks cool! I'm interested to hear your comments about the way the bike rides with loaded panniers.

Back in the day, I owned a Teledyne Titan titanium frame that I outfitted with Phil Wood sealed bearing hubs, BB and pedals. I used it as an all weather commute bike. The Titan had super short chainstays and steep angles, like a track bike, to compensate for the flexy nature of the titanium tubes that were available at the time.

jammyauto

Adventurer
Christopher, Thanks for the offer! I don't have exact plans yet as to where I'm starting but I'll let you know.

So far all I've done is ride the bike "bare" (not even water bottles) about 5 miles. It's deffinatly a little on the stiff side compared to my carbon cannondale that I ride about 150 miles per week. It will be a few weeks before the racks are done and I can load it up and do an overnight trip. I'll report back here at that time.

I may send the frame back to Lynskey in the mean time. I hate to be nitpicky but some mistakes were made. I ordered the "brushed" finished and got plain (they did not charge me). I also ordered red decals and got white. The part that bothers me the most however is that when they first built the frame they put the couplers in but did not weld in the correct parts to allow the cables to be taken apart as well. The stock frame without couplers is set up for fully sleeved cables. When the bike shop was putting the bike together they called me and said you can take the bike apart but not the cables, how do you feel about that? I told them that I felt that for the $$ it should be right. They sent the frame back to lynskey to have the right parts welded on. The problem is that they left on all the old cable attachment things and they are not used and it makes the frame look messy. Last time I talked to the bike shop they said that according to Lynskey those cable attachment points (what are they called?) can not be removed and they would have to just build a new frame. I can't decide if I should ask them to build me a new frame or not. Those fittings really won't make any difference in the way the bike performs but it just bugs me.

fairweather

Observer
I would feel the same way, you should get what you paid for, send it back or it will always bug you. What you asked for is not complicated, it was a break down in quality control on their part.

tacollie

Glamper
They should be able to remove the cable guides. We have swapped them out on ti plenty of times. You can also shoe shine ti with scotch brite to give it a the brushed look.

Very nicely done. I would send it back, the bike would be so much easier to handle broken down if the cables come apart. I would love to see detailed pics of the seperation points when complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears