My new/old commuter

rvrfish

Observer
Hello!

I'm enjoying this forum, your bikes are great! I thought I would share my bike nothing fancy, but I love her!

She is my first (and only ) custom bike built in 1986 or so. she is fillet brazed custom lugs, built for me by my friend and ex rock climbing partner Jade.

Jade built the frame, I machined the Crank and the braze ons I wasn't riding the bike much as the original bars hurt my wrist, so I got this idea to make a commuter bike. A set of North road bars and some new cables and I have been commuting for the last two weeks, 14 miles day means I saved enough money leaving the LC in the driveway to buy some fenders. Woo hooo.

Sorry about the spelling etch (blame it on the T& Tonic...)

cheers,
Matt W

Attachments

• Jade Bike 002.jpg
    Jade Bike 002.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 72
  • Jade Bike 007.jpg
    Jade Bike 007.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 99

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Nice looking bike!

Any plans to go to something less knobular in tires, or is your ride rough enough to need them?

I've used 1.95" IRC Metros on a couple bikes and I like them. For something really skinny Ritchey "Tom Slick's" come in a 1.0" width, and roll at 100psi max.

rvrfish

Observer
Thanks for checking out the Jade,

Yes, I plan on getting some slicks, i got side tracked last weekend when i bought a new golf bag for my son, kinda cut into the budget...

Actually this whole thing started with the high gas prices last summer, nothing like $100 fill up to get me off the couch. i started checking out comuter bikes, some how i couldnt get excited about spending $3000 to save the planet. i liked the bikes i saw but...

So the plan is to spend what i actually save in gas, by not drivng to work. afetr two weeks i have paid off the bars and cables and probably have enough for the skinny tires.

what is suprising is how much i enjoy riding again, I straped a ruber made tube to the rack and ride the the farmers market, the nursey for plants etc. my wifes bike is a late 80's Chris Chance? mnt bike she love it still so we have been riding together on the weekends.

Well, thanks for the recomendation on the tires. I'll check them out.

About the stem, Jade picked it out when we built the bike. i like it too. one thing about having something like this is after 10 years i thought i shouldnt mess with the bike and kind of treated it like a time capsule. I'm glad i got over that and started using it again.

cheers,
Matt

PS i had to add the this shot of the seat clamp..

Attachments

• Jade Bike 003.jpg
    Jade Bike 003.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 59

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman