My new popup, what is it?

jkce72

Observer
Hi everyone. I just picked up a new to me camper and thought I'd show it off and maybe get some info. I was told this was a 1985 Keystone(manufacturer), but can't find any info except on the FWC Keystone when I google it. Also can't find anything on the camper anywhere saying what it might be. Anyone have a guess? I can get some better pics later. Day I brought it home.

Attachments

• 20140827_090123-1.jpg
    20140827_090123-1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 59

Bigvw

Wow it looks good for the age. My wife just bought a 91 while I am away for work. The old campers seem to hold up good i guess.

subterran

Adventurer
I am going to guess: an early Hallmark? That's what it looks like to me. Hallmark is still making pop-up TC's, so you can call them and maybe they can help confirm? It looks very nice, and I hope you enjoy using it!

Edit: a little google-**** tells me that there is a Keystone RV dealership. Maybe that's where it was first purchased from, as dealers seem to want to put thier decals on what they sell, just like car dealerships do. I'm just guessing here..

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Ooh, SubT hit on something--the Keystone could very well be a dealership decal. I can't think of any Keystone models other than the FWC, and it's definitely not that.

The roof is the style that Northstar, Skamper, Starcraft, Sun-Lite, Shadow-Cruiser, etc used. That half-wrap back end makes me think, Northstar.

jkce72

Observer
Wow it looks good for the age. My wife just bought a 91 while I am away for work. The old campers seem to hold up good i guess.

I hope it holds up well, I'm really starting to like it. I guess if it starts falling apart I'll just have to rebuild it so it will be worthy.

jkce72

Observer
I am going to guess: an early Hallmark? That's what it looks like to me. Hallmark is still making pop-up TC's, so you can call them and maybe they can help confirm? It looks very nice, and I hope you enjoy using it!

Edit: a little google-**** tells me that there is a Keystone RV dealership. Maybe that's where it was first purchased from, as dealers seem to want to put thier decals on what they sell, just like car dealerships do. I'm just guessing here..

Ooh, SubT hit on something--the Keystone could very well be a dealership decal. I can't think of any Keystone models other than the FWC, and it's definitely not that.

The roof is the style that Northstar, Skamper, Starcraft, Sun-Lite, Shadow-Cruiser, etc used. That half-wrap back end makes me think, Northstar.

2nd north star

Yep, Northstar/Texson

I was thinking it looked a little like a Skamper or Sunlite from the top,but the lower windows and wrapped back didn't seem right. as far as the Keystone part goes . There's nothing on the camper anywhere that says Keystone. I know there is a Keystone RV dealer and also a Keystone travel trailer manufacturer, but I can't find any popups from them. I got Keystone from the title/pink slip. In 2009 Idaho started titleing all recreational vehicles ,even used ones when they were sold after that date. So the person I bought this from only owned it for about 6 months before he decided it was to small for his needs and got rid of it. In the time he owned it he had to title it.There were no stickers, data plates, anything, so the DMV came up with it being a 85 Keystone.
It could be a Northstar. There seems to be alot of those up here.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It looks great! It's definitely looking like Northstar to me, with the additional pics. I bet it's a TC700. I also have a suspicion that it's newer than 1985. It looks much newer than my '88.

It looks like you have very little clearance between the cabover and cab roof. Make sure you have enough space so the camper doesn't hit the cab roof. The camper can move a fair bit in relation to the cab as the frame/body mounts/tie downs flex on bumpy terrain. If it is indeed a TC700, it was designed for compact trucks so you may need to space it up from the truck bed a little bit.

Last edited:

jkce72

Observer
Thanks tanglefoot. Kind of my thoughts also on being newer than 85. As far as clearance goes, I have about a inch up there. How much clearance is usually needed for flex?

subterran

Adventurer
IMHO: an inch is pretty tight. You should consider putting it on a bed of 2x4's or something to get another inch or two. Good luck!

jkce72

Observer
My daughter and I are going to take it on a shakedown run this weekend to Yellowstone and see how it does. Maybe I'll raise it up a little before or at least bring some boards with us if I need to.

subterran

Adventurer
Word to the wise: a couple of boards may do temporarily, but make sure your floor is pretty much fully supported long term to prevent bowing and seperation. Your door is the canary in the coal mine here.. Watch for door opening and closing smoothly. If the floor flexes, most likely the door will tell. Shoot, a piece of 5/8 plywood cut to the floor footprint will probably be just right. I hope you have a good trip!

jkce72

Observer
Word to the wise: a couple of boards may do temporarily, but make sure your floor is pretty much fully supported long term to prevent bowing and seperation. Your door is the canary in the coal mine here.. Watch for door opening and closing smoothly. If the floor flexes, most likely the door will tell. Shoot, a piece of 5/8 plywood cut to the floor footprint will probably be just right. I hope you have a good trip!

Good advice. Boards would definately be temporary. I was thinking the same way with screwing a piece of ply to the bottom and be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears