My new vehicle: 2005 Nissan Frontier

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
"Sorry....is that too trashy?"

No way! The pics look great Mark!!

BTW, I got to sit in this truck on the CDD trip (thanks Mark) and I was impressed with the feel and layout. Pretty plush. Nice seats.

And as I said on the trip - I dig those wheels. Very "rally-esque" :cool:

What should the next mod be, you ask? A FRIDGE of course :D

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I've wheeled recently with a 2006 and it was a very nice rig. I question, though, Nissan's mentality of "lowering" the height. Even my 2000 2wd sat higher than the 20006 4wd. Ground clearance may have been similar but it sure seems to sit probably six to seven inches higher.

articulate

Expedition Leader
The BN Guy said:
I've wheeled recently with a 2006 and it was a very nice rig. I question, though, Nissan's mentality of "lowering" the height. Even my 2000 2wd sat higher than the 20006 4wd. Ground clearance may have been similar but it sure seems to sit probably six to seven inches higher.
Can't underestimate engineering choices when it comes to the design of a vehicle: If form follows function, the clearance has mostly to do with engineering the handling and maximizing the fuel economy. I was concerned about that same thing, though. But clearance is something you can change pretty easily with some larger tires and suspension improvements. ;)

Additionally, the components under the truck are tucked above the frame rails pretty well.

Cheers,
Mark

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
Additionally, the components under the truck are tucked above the frame rails pretty well.

I definitely will agree there. Did get under that truck and was quite impressed with "tuckage".

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Well I agree with you on the body beign lower , however the frontier has better ground clearance then the Tacoma evendough the Tacoma's body is higher;furthere more I think the only advantage the Tacoma has over the Frontier would be in crossing a canal or river full of water due to the body seatting higher!!!

david despain

Adventurer
this is a great thread, loads of useful info and links. i have been wishing for a new truck for a long time and for a few years i have liked the nissan and its been in the back of my head because its perfect on paper anyway. after i ran through my initial infatuation with a double cab taco so i could be cool like the other kids i realized it was out of my price range and decided to keep my current truck(see posts in full size section) but now the ol girl is looking like it may take even more work and money to make it reliable just to have a worn out truck so i started to look to a new nissan again. my wife saw an 04 for sale and said she liked the way it looked and i could go drive it. like mark said back in the first couple pages thats the most important deciding factor, gotta get her approval. i researched and found the 05-06 are a much better deal as far as power, comfort, design etc goes so i tried to find one of those. now if i can just get her to sign off on the multi thou$ difference ill be golden. i have a few specific ?s for those that have one. what kind of milage are u getting in the real world around town? is it possible or even practical to put the rear locker into a non locked axle? is the upgraded sound system worth it? and if it doesnt come with a tow package how hard is it to add the trailer plug and wiring harnes? also i wonder if there is a snorkel for it yet? they just look cool thanks david

david despain

Adventurer
i thought of a few more, has anyone used the satalite radio equiped version or if i got a satalite radio ready version would i be able to use that antena for my own aftermarket xm reciever either stand alone or built into a headunit? and probably most importantly has anyone ever put 3 car seats in the back? thanks for putting up with me.
Mark i have read some of your posts on other nissan forums and studied your website as well and i think you have a great set up and build going i am very interested to see how the rear bumper comes out as well as the sliders. i have a great chance of getting approval for the sliders as the boss isnt real tall.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
First question: gas milage reports around town have beign at around 17 miles per gallon.
Second :rear locker can not be done at the dealer, will have to go with ARB.
Third question:Rockford Fosgate Sound system up grade is expensive, but very good and it comes with one or two 6" subs under the seats, (but unsure of their location)
Fourth question:tow pkg can be done in an hour, the frontiers come fully wired and ready to add the hitch a 300.00 add on.
Fifth question: snorkel not sure....but should be possible.
Sixth question: Satelite radion has been known to have some issues, freezing signals. ( xm radio blames nissan, Nissan blames XM )
And last question, 3 car seat in back, I do not understand are you talking about child seats?
Keep on asking.......

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
OH! and if you buy one make sure it does NOT have the ABLS a 300.00 up grade foe the fron and rear differentials you will not like it, can not use truck in deep sand......

articulate

Expedition Leader
david despain said:
this is a great thread
Couldn't have said it better myself! :)
david despain said:
...my wife saw an 04 for sale and said she liked the way it looked and i could go drive it. like mark said back in the first couple pages thats the most important deciding factor, gotta get her approval. i researched and found the 05-06 are a much better deal as far as power, comfort, design etc goes so i tried to find one of those. now if i can just get her to sign off
The new series Frontier (also known as the D40) has some significant advantages over the previous like comfort, space, payload, and power. Also I think this is more significant: Coil front suspension. The older series uses torsion bars. Get your sweetie into an 04, then take a spin in the new model. She'll change her mind just with the comfort difference.

david despain said:
what kind of milage are u getting in the real world around town? is it possible or even practical to put the rear locker into a non locked axle? is the upgraded sound system worth it? and if it doesnt come with a tow package how hard is it to add the trailer plug and wiring harnes? also i wonder if there is a snorkel for it yet? they just look cool thanks david
In a combination of highway and city driving, I'm now getting 16-17 MPG with no load. I've increased tire size and added a lift for the sake of lift like a redneck, which affected the mileage adversely but minutely. And affected my ego in some fashion, too, but the jury is still out.

So far, there is not a third-party locker available (ARB, Detroit, or otherwise). The electric locker that comes in the NISMO edition will not mate with the differentials in the other D40 Frontiers. However, the electric locker is not available in any of the Frontiers (AKA Navara) down under, so there is a good chance ARB will be producing one. That's simple speculation on my part, really, and presuming the guts of the axles worldwide are the same.

(On a side note about that, I've been thinking I'd like to have a limited slip differential rather than a locking device...)

Got me on the sound system. If I can hear John Denver, it's good enough for me.

Eurorom is right about the hitch. The receiver bolts right on, and the truck is wired. 300 bones and an hour with a wrench and a margarita will get the job done.

Snorkel: I think it was Spencer Low Racing who manufactured one for a Frontier at SEMA this past year. I don't know of one that is in production, but based on the location and configuration of the airbox....I'd gather ARB will be producing one. Again pure speculation.

Opinion de Marko: Sometimes I wonder why I didn't pony up for the NISMO - afterall it has the locking differential, upgraded shocks, 32" tires, and skid plates. But I didn't think the $3000-$5000 was worth it. I fully anticipated re-doing the suspension to my tastes and needs, anyway....therefore the Bilstein shock upgrade was moot. The tires were going to be replaced anyway, also. Skid plates are easy to add...and OEM plates are not very heavy duty. The locker....? I decided that money was better spent doing these things my way. Besides, we got a deal on a non-NISMO with a sunroof!

Good luck with your decision. I hope I can help in some way.

Here's to life,
Mark

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
david despain said:
i thought of a few more, has anyone used the satalite radio equiped version or if i got a satalite radio ready version would i be able to use that antena for my own aftermarket xm reciever either stand alone or built into a headunit? and probably most importantly has anyone ever put 3 car seats in the back? thanks for putting up with me.
Mark i have read some of your posts on other nissan forums and studied your website as well and i think you have a great set up and build going i am very interested to see how the rear bumper comes out as well as the sliders. i have a great chance of getting approval for the sliders as the boss isnt real tall.
I'm clueless to the satelite radio questions and the car seats in the back.

I did put the sliders on last week. I was not only super impressed with the build on those things, but the powder coat place said it would take 10 days. 2 days after I dropped them off, they told me the sliders were coated and ready for pick up. THAT was good ol' fashioned, down-home, ma 'n pa under-promise and over-deliver. Simply awesome. Arizona Powdercoat on Washington and about 56th Street.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
articulate said:
...I did put the sliders on last week. I was not only super impressed with the build on those things, but the powder coat place said it would take 10 days. 2 days after I dropped them off, they told me the sliders were coated and ready for pick up. THAT was good ol' fashioned, down-home, ma 'n pa under-promise and over-deliver. Simply awesome. Arizona Powdercoat on Washington and about 56th Street.

Cool Where are the Pics?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark, c'mon man, pony up the pics of the new sliders. You can not say something like that here and not post pics. You are killin' me man.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Ya Mark!

Don't make us come over there and take....."Spy Photo's"...!:gunt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman