My new vehicle: 2005 Nissan Frontier

gnarshredder

Mark-

A while back you had joined in on a thread question I had posted to those who have their RTT installed on a shell rack system (yakima or thule). Now that you have yours set up, what are your impressions of how it makes the truck drive both on and off road? Thanks in advance.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Mark-

A while back you had joined in on a thread question I had posted to those who have their RTT installed on a shell rack system (yakima or thule). Now that you have yours set up, what are your impressions of how it makes the truck drive both on and off road? Thanks in advance.
It's a hard question to answer because I can't give you any data or comparative numbers. We just came back from a 1000-mile trip; mostly twisty mountain roads and some two-lane highway. No "trails" to speak of, just graded dirt and unimproved desert roads. The truck is heavy, for sure, and it's noticeable. But no more so than before. It's important to note that this RTT is just 128 lbs, which is about what a petite woman weighs. It's really not much in the big picture.

I recently installed the rear Old Man Emu Dakar springs, the "heavy duty" version and I'm glad I did. That system is managing this weight, fully loaded, with deft.

So many of the roads we drove were so slow-going and steep that even talking about fuel mileage at this point would make an unfair comparison.

Also, we're (so far) taking the tent off for the weeks between trips. And that's easier than I expected. To put it on, we just stand it up on the tail gate and tip it on to the cross bars, then slide it into position. Reverse that to take it off.

lamontagne

Adventurer
What (if anything) have you done to limit the amount of dust entering the rear throughout the gaps around the tailgate?

I have a Leer shell on my '05 CC, the shell is plenty water-tight, but I get a good-to-thick layer of dust on everything inside from the dust coming around the tailgate.

articulate

Expedition Leader
What (if anything) have you done to limit the amount of dust entering the rear throughout the gaps around the tailgate?
The dust, yeah. It sucks. I haven't done anything yet, but I'll be spending the $25 on the tailgate sealing kit unless someone has a compelling reason not to do that.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Do it. Made a big difference for me when I had my shell. Looking good BTW.

:snorkel: <--- just because

Black Frontiers w/ ARE caps are where it's at!

I hope you didn't get the boot for the cab-canopy connection!

I have also noticed the canopy didn't do anything to my mileage, but I don't have all that extra up there like you do. Kayak is about as crazy as I get.

When you guys plan on giving your daughter a sibling, my suggestion is to look into a trailer...

articulate

Expedition Leader
Ah, no boot thingy. Just the dropping window.

Let's not talk about more offspring. Today was a bad day in toddlerville. What a little turd she's turning out to be.

articulate

Expedition Leader
I think I need to mention that we're going to have this truck in the Exhibitor area at the Overland Expo this year.

Come see us, look for the green frog and the black truck :).

http://www.adventureparents.com/blog/adventure-dads-blog/186-planning-for-the-overland-expo-nissan-frontier-on-display.html

frontier_shell_001.jpg

Sggilbert

Adventurer
Love that truck!
I was thinking of doing something similar with mine, but I was wondering about the weight bearing capacity of the roof rack and canopy with the roof top tent. The retail outlet for the roof racks, truck accessories, and such in my area said the capacity of the racks and canopies was around 165 lbs. which is sufficient for the tent but not necessarily the occupants.
I'm just wondering what your experience has been?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears