My newly acquired Xt 225.

lost1

After years of riding the big bikes, I made a very practical decision and just purchase a 2006 Yamaha Xt 225. I had forgotten how much I like the little dualsports. What seems like 100 years ago my wife and I did a RTW on bikes. I started with a 1988 Suzuki Dr 600 and later swapped for a 640 adventure. My wife rode the last part of our trip on her very own Suzuki DR 200 (crossing NZ, Aus and then East Timor to Thailand). She sold the bike when we arrived home and never though much of it. I continued on with the big bikes but always thought about how much that little 200 was a stellar adventure bike. It did everything we asked of it with 0 complaints and 0 dramas.

The 225 will replace the Husqvarna spending much of its time as a frontal impact zone and bug gatherer for the camper. I look forward to having the 225 available for small adventures, shunting groceries, getting into the town centres and just fooling around.

Attachments

• NlcHMy3QRfquLV4rtKqRmA.jpg
    NlcHMy3QRfquLV4rtKqRmA.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 27
  • DOHORs%9SSCDzAi+i5W51Q.jpg
    DOHORs%9SSCDzAi+i5W51Q.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 30

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We have had a XT225 for many years now. Everyone likes it. The only problem is that the suspension is too soft now for most of us, and I can't justify spending $1500 on a $2000 bike.

lost1

I think I am ok with the CV carb as I won’t be hot-rodding the bike and it should handle elevation ok. I appreciate the simplicity.

nickw

Adventurer
We have had a XT225 for many years now. Everyone likes it. The only problem is that the suspension is too soft now for most of us, and I can't justify spending $1500 on a $2000 bike.
It shouldn't be anywhere near $1500, new F&R springs ($300) and a some upgraded valves for forks ($200) + rebuild you should be good to go for general riding....rebuild is ~$200 but that is a cost if you are upgrading suspension or not...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
It shouldn't be anywhere near $1500, newye F&R springs ($300) and a some upgraded valves for forks ($200) + rebuild you should be good to go for general riding....rebuild is ~$200 but that is a cost if you are upgrading suspension or not...

also don't forget the rear shock...I switched to a TT shock from Ebay, it helped but we would need something better.

nickw

Adventurer
also don't forget the rear shock...I switched to a TT shock from Ebay, it helped but we would need something better.
Is a rear shock really needed on those bikes? I honestly don't know. I'm sure the proper spring would get you most of the way there for general trail riding....

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I love the idea of simplicity and utilitarian use. I am curious why your are going to replace the Husky and or if you are going to miss the power and capabilities of the Husky?

lost1

There really is little comparison between the Yamaha and Husky. I will use the Husky as my race bike, but I really needed something street legal that I could use for running errands. No way of getting the Husky street legal here and it makes a pretty miserable street bike especially with a passenger. The Husky is possibly more susceptible to someone stealing it and without a key/ignition lock it is just too easy to borrow...

deserteagle56

Adventurer
XT225 is a great little bike! I had a 1992 for many years...and when I found out they were going to be discontinued, I bought a 2007 (last model year).

Mine is essentially stock except for a Clarke 4-gallon tank and a luggage rack. For the putting around I do the stock suspension is fine (guess that depends on how much the rider weighs!). I ride some very remote places...usually alone because I can find no one else to ride with me. So to me, reliability is #1 priority and neither of my XT225s have ever let me down.

At Ft Garrett Point on the Arizona Strip. Grand Canyon in the distance:
P1000330eprsteve7-9-22.jpg

nickw

Adventurer
XT225 is a great little bike! I had a 1992 for many years...and when I found out they were going to be discontinued, I bought a 2007 (last model year).

Mine is essentially stock except for a Clarke 4-gallon tank and a luggage rack. For the putting around I do the stock suspension is fine (guess that depends on how much the rider weighs!). I ride some very remote places...usually alone because I can find no one else to ride with me. So to me, reliability is #1 priority and neither of my XT225s have ever let me down.

At Ft Garrett Point on the Arizona Strip. Grand Canyon in the distance:
View attachment 818332
Based on your username it sounds like you always have a friend :)

Nice bike - I do a lot of remote touring as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior