My next overland rig??? HELP!

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
I'm frustrated. I want a rig that I can do a big RTW expedition in that meets the following criteria:
stand along vehicle (no trailer)
seats 2 full time passengers (with option for 3rd, like minder in China)
Sleeps 2 inside (I'm 6'3" tall, needs to have access to sleeping area from driver seat)
Proper 4x4 with low range and clearance
800+ mile range (can include jerry cans)
Under $30K US
Able to be US Registered
Roof Dedicated to adventure sports gear (big roof rack that will hold: 3 kayaks, kiteboard, 2 mtn bikes & all associated gear)
Must fit in a container for shipping (probably with all gear removed from roof)

A turbo diesel Defender 110, 130 or Land Cruiser Troopy all fit the bill well, but can't be purchased in the US for a reasonable price in good shape. My Sportsmobile is awesome, but the interior just can't hold up to hard offroading, its too big for many trails, its already too heavy without bumpers and winch, most of the systems are propane (which isn't optimal overseas), and its worth abotu $30K as it sits.

ANY and ALL suggestions appreciated. I've been looking in the UK, Australia, Japan and across North America for answers and just haven't found it.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Find yourself a 100 series and build out the inferior. You can easily pull out all the seats and put in a sleeping platform, and Outback Proven is importing aux tanks to give you added fuel range.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Pajero/Montero seems to foot the bill pretty nicely, coming in at about $27,000 less than your budget. That should be plenty for maintenance and mods. ;)

Durability...well, it's won Paris-Dakar more times than any other vehicle. The 9.5" rear ring gear on the Gen 2's is pretty much indestructible. 4.636 gears. Locking center and rear differentials (with fronts available aftermarket). Stout engine, plenty of power for its vintage (218hp/228tq for the SR trim level in 1994).

I'm 6'1" and myself along with my 110-lb dog sleep in the back just fine. I removed the 2nd row bench and the 3rd row jump seats, leaving tons of cargo/sleeping space. When I need to take more than just 1 passenger, I can throw one or both of the folding jump seats in.

Range is the biggest downfall here, but if you're supplementing with fuel cans, it shouldn't be much of an issue. I track fuel meticulously...I average about 15.2 mpg in mixed driving on 33" tires. The advertised tank size is 24.3 gallons, so 15 X 24 = 360 miles. I'm sure a little custom work could result in a larger fuel tank or an aux tank underneath; there's plenty of room, especially if you put a body lift on it. I imagine a 32 gallon tank would fit without much of an issue, maybe even more.

479147_10151366191949071_2130429689_o.jpg

The other thing I thought of would be a Jeep XJ or ZJ. Insane amount of aftermarket parts, decently reliable and robust, decent amount of space...although, they might be a little too small to sleep on the inside (the XJ is for sure...the ZJ may not be much bigger inside). But, they're capable, plentiful, and affordable.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
"My Sportsmobile is awesome"... There you have it. How much "hard" offroading will you actually be doing? I think you have one of the best platforms there is right now. Keep the Sportsmobile, invest some money into and make it even more capable than it already is. It's the most bada** home on wheels already!

evilfij

Explorer
If you can deal with low power, there are a number of ex MOD 87 LHD importable land rover 110s for sale. 2.5 NA diesel (~70 hp).

Silver dude

Xplorer
4th gen 4runner is what comes to my mind. Big but not to big. Great mileage and power. Large cargo volume for its size. Decent aftermarket. Toyota refinement and quality also parts available around the globe.

Your best bet will be a 1995-97 FZJ Landcruiser with lockers. You can relocate the spare tire so it mounts on rear bumper and then you can add an additional fuel tank where the spare tire was. You can add a drawer system in the rear and with the seats folded forward you should be able to sleep comfortable on the seats and drawer system.

Personally if I were you I would look at paying 10K for a rig and 15K for a really nice little offroad trailer. Then you could pack all your stuff and be more self sustainable.

Kaisen

Explorer
I'm frustrated. I want a rig that I can do a big RTW expedition in that meets the following criteria:
stand along vehicle (no trailer)
seats 2 full time passengers (with option for 3rd, like minder in China)
Sleeps 2 inside (I'm 6'3" tall, needs to have access to sleeping area from driver seat)
Proper 4x4 with low range and clearance
800+ mile range (can include jerry cans)
Under $30K US
Able to be US Registered
Roof Dedicated to adventure sports gear (big roof rack that will hold: 3 kayaks, kiteboard, 2 mtn bikes & all associated gear)
Must fit in a container for shipping (probably with all gear removed from roof)

A turbo diesel Defender 110, 130 or Land Cruiser Troopy all fit the bill well, but can't be purchased in the US for a reasonable price in good shape. My Sportsmobile is awesome, but the interior just can't hold up to hard offroading, its too big for many trails, its already too heavy without bumpers and winch, most of the systems are propane (which isn't optimal overseas), and its worth abotu $30K as it sits.

ANY and ALL suggestions appreciated. I've been looking in the UK, Australia, Japan and across North America for answers and just haven't found it.

Any generation Suburban 3/4 Ton 4x4 (full floating rear axle, heavier duty mechanicals)
From the rear gate to the back of the front seats is over 8ft in length -- will comfortably sleep a 6'3" person with room to spare
Factory three-across front seating options, can retrofit from pickups if needed (bolt right in) - can gut the rear from there for sleeping platform
Factory options for large fuel tank(s) and lots of room underneath for extra tanks
Tremendous aftermarket support for suspension, skidplates, axles/lockers, lifts, powertrain, bumpers, flares, lights, etc, etc.
Very inexpensive new/aftermarket parts and incredible used parts inventories (and interchangeable parts) in US
Will fit inside normal 20ft ISO shipping container -- a Ford Excursion will not (too long)
There are as many GM dealers around the world as there are Mercedes Benz and Toyota dealers

But still, 90% of overlanders will turn up their nose at them

But still, 90% of overlanders will turn up their nose at them

I am not sure that most overlanders turn there noses at GM or any other manufacturer. I think many overlanders including myself are loyal to which ever vehicle gets the job done. All vehicles are produced to accomplish a specific set of tasks for a specific group of people. Most American made SUV's are made to carry families to and from soccer games. They are capable of mild offroading.

Outside of the United States vehicles are made as durable as possible because the roads are unimproved in many areas which is similar to overlanding. Because these vehicles are built to accomplish tasks similar to the tasks of overlanders it only makes sense to use these vehicles.

I recently sold my 2005 GMC with a Duramax because the build quality was so cheap. I never had any issues with the truck when I owned it, but I hated to drive it because of its driving characteristics. I loved GM as a kid but the more I drive German made vehicles the more I see the light.

Kaisen

Explorer
Your statement(s) reinforce my minor point. It's the perception, not reality, that full-size domestic US trucks aren't every bit as capable or durable overlanders as any other stock 4x4, save Unimogs.

We're fixated on the vehicles we can't easily get, or don't see often -- the objects of lust from what was popularized. That sticks with us. But that isn't always reality.

Sooooo, what other under-$35K truck would you recommend?

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
Some Thoughts

First, you guys rock. Thanks so much for all the ideas. You have all been thinking along the same lines as I. The issue with most of your suggestions falls into one of two catergories, not enough power for highway speeds under expedition loads or too poor fuel mileage to go really long distance. Oh, and for sure I don't want a trailer.

Montero: Interesting I can sleep in 3 gen ones, but they seem under powered, have poor fuel economy, are unibody and very plasticy in every way.
Suburban: A little big for most trails and poor mileage. Will not fit in a 20' container with proper bumpers and winch. Great value for the money and would make a great Americas overland rig.
Excursion: Basically the same deal as my van. 7.3 is a great motor, but tough to get parts in other parts of the world and only like 15mpg max. Other issue is weight, trying to get a base vehicle a bit lighter.
4Runner: Pretty positive, save for the brand new ones, I can't sleep in the back.
Defender 110 with NA diesel: can't do highway speeds loaded with expedition gear. After engine swap with 200 TDi and other upgrades way too expensive for what you get.
Keep Sportsmobile: Overall a good option. Downfalls: propane, poor interior build quality for offroading, over weight already without proper bumpers and winch, worth $30K now and needs about $10+K for RTW trip prep.

Still not sure. Looking at a Japanese '88 Landcruiser with high top an 12HT diesel. Think it might just fit the bill. Thoughts or other ideas?

For size a diesel Ford Excursion would be perfect for what you are wanting. They can be found in the 15-25k range. Which leaves plenty of room for improvements. I've seen reports of them getting 900 miles on a tank.

Down sides,
I've had one. I remember driving on the forest roads around our property and several times smacking the diff on some rocks. So I think a lift would be in order, with a set of good taller tires.
Probably would be just at size restrictive on the trails if not more so than your sportsmobile.
I also remember that the 4x4 system was finicky, it has the turn dial electric selector. And I remember several times 4x4 just would not engage, or it would light up without actually engaging. Not sure if that is a common problem or if I was "lucky".

Not Mine^
---------SCRATCH THAT, just read your latest post lol-------------------------------------------

Other ideas...
modify an older Toyota 4x4 van.

If it within your possibility to import, A mitsubishi delica factory diesel, 4x4 high/low and diff lock, lots of room. There are lots in Canada just watch for rust. Not sure about the range on these. (also the 4gens are built on the pajero/montero so capability is there and parts availability around the world. However engine parts in the US may be tricky if you go for the diesel.

In the US you could find a land cruiser and do a diesel swap, or again find one in canada, but really watch for rust.

You could go with a full size pickup with a canopy.

Good luck in the search

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears