My nightmare with Callen Campers

haven

Expedition Leader
Man, that Caravan Campers web site has to be the worst design
I've seen in years. And they don't provide an email address to
contact the company. The product itself looks interesting, but
somebody has to help them with their web presence.

Chip Haven

drobb

Adventurer
Has anyone found a good steel framed Callen Camper alternative? I like Bel Air but the wood framing raises questions.

dzzz

Has anyone found a good steel framed Callen Camper alternative? I like Bel Air but the wood framing raises questions.

I wouldn't necessarily rule them out. Especially if you're local and can know what's going on. When I talked to them a couple years ago they were going through some management changes. If you want a custom it might be worth talking to them and getting some recent references.

I wouldn't do a custom without good reason. There are so many choices in standard manufactured campers. There's a lot of benefit to throwing a stock camper on fairly stock pickup.

drobb

Adventurer
Hi Don.....My problem is the requirements for the camper: overhead style but with nothing inside and wide open at the tailgate. I have a shortbed truck and I drive my atv up and into the truck bed for desert trips.

So something like the attached images would be perfect minus the camper sides opening. If you know of anyone who makes something like this or have some ideas....please pass it my way.

Thanks!

Attachments

• callen03.jpg
    callen03.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 96
  • callen01.jpg
    callen01.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 79

drobb

Adventurer
Yep...I'm on CL every morning at 6am.......read this today.....calling the add you posted tomorrow!.....thx:wings:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The Callens are vehicle specific. There's minor differences in the vehicles that they allow for. They used to keep some used ones on consignment on the premises if they're still in biz. Damn shame that Scott's messed up the company.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Man, that Caravan Campers web site has to be the worst design
I've seen in years. And they don't provide an email address to
contact the company. The product itself looks interesting, but
somebody has to help them with their web presence.

Chip Haven

My thoughts exactly. Why not offer a option to avoid that intro B.S.!!!

I know when we ordered our A.R.E. DCU, I called the company and they offer custom builds, but WOW did they want alot just to add a few simple things, so we ended up just going with a unit that was out of the catalog with a few added upgrades.

theMec

Adventurer
Damn shame that Scott's messed up the company.

Scott built my Callen. (See pics that drobb posted about 6 posts above.) The fit and finish could be better but we love it. It's a pretty decent price, weight, strength combo especially considering he built to it my specs. I had to call him a lot though to get it done. If I were local to his shop, it would have been much easier.

I searched everywhere before I went w/ Callen. I couldn't find any alternative except Bel-Air. Good luck!

drobb

Adventurer
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

Found these guys this weekend and happen to see one in person at a gas station on an F150. Talked to the guy with the F150....They will build whatever you want....were easy to work with....dealer location is close.....good fit and finish from what I could see AND it's aluminum!!!

theMec

Adventurer
http://www.workmatebylifetime.com/

Found these guys this weekend and happen to see one in person at a gas station on an F150. Talked to the guy with the F150....They will build whatever you want....were easy to work with....dealer location is close.....good fit and finish from what I could see AND it's aluminum!!!

I think I might have seen this website before I ordered my Callen but I did not know they did custom work and certainly did not see this picture on their website:
CabOverSingle.jpg

Certainly worth talking with.

Terrainist

Explorer
Make sure you are good with their construction methods. All the aluminum toppers I've seen use very thin walled aluminum tubing, like what you might find in a camp or folding chair. And the side and rear walls are screwed to each other and the roof vs. welded. Just from what I've seen out there from manufacturers, I'd consider them light duty toppers and doubt they would hold up over time. Haven't seen one that could legitimately take a roof rack. If you want it insulated and paneled that might be another problem.

Get inside one and make sure you are cool with the way they make them.

Vectorit

Old school 4x4 lover
No complaints here with my Callen...

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 237

Forum statistics

Threads