My nuts sheared off

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Okay, the sixth nut has been split and removed using cutoff wheel and cold chisels
Here's what the cross section looks like, any thoughts on what was going on here?

I know, I know, over-torqued ! :sombrero:
Maybe even cross threaded at the prior wheel change, adding to the problem

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I know, I know, over-torqued ! :sombrero:
Maybe even cross threaded at the prior wheel change, adding to the problem

That's my bet too. Where the thread is actually striped away I believe is where the stud has stretched.
That's my take of it.

Dan.

gait

Explorer
what are the other nuts like?

Lug/stud would permanently stretch progressively from somewhere in middle of nut. Try it with plasticine! :)

If the lug/stud doesn't break immediately (like the one that was twisted off) the fatigue fracture starts somewhere near the end of the nut. Crack grows progressively over time until the cross section remaining is so small it finally breaks.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The ones that came off separate from the stud look about the same. Next I have to remove the hub - which I imagine means draining the differential first? Anything specific to a Fuso that is different from any other full floating rear axle I should know about? Any parts that need to be replaced or can everything get re-used?

jhrodd

Adventurer
You don't need to drain the diff just pull the axles and the bearing retainer comes out the same as the fronts with the same tool. I would replace the seal.

pugslyyy

You don't need to drain the diff just pull the axles and the bearing retainer comes out the same as the fronts with the same tool. I would replace the seal.

Thanks I'm sure the second time will be easy - it's always the first time you do something that is the challenge!

pugslyyy

Here's what I'm looking at - seem reasonable?

Hub Assembly $319
Bearing inner $75.71
Bearing Outer $72.91
Seal $13.68

pugslyyy

I'm pretty sure that the hub is softer than the lug studs, so I may not be able to reuse the hub after I pull it off to change out all the studs. I'm not very optimistic that the hole with the spinning lug will still be nominal. Best to have it on hand and I can always take it back if I don't use it.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You could do a "half and half". Buy a second hand hub from Busbees then put new studs into that. Surely that would work out quite a bit cheaper and still give you what you want.

pugslyyy

You could do a "half and half". Buy a second hand hub from Busbees then put new studs into that. Surely that would work out quite a bit cheaper and still give you what you want.

Thanks. I did get the new one but am checking with Busbees as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan