My Proffitts 1HD-FT 80 series conversion *UPDATED WITH PICS AND VIDEO*

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Looks great...
How are these engines sourced?...New?...Rebuilt?...or just shipped over in half cuts from wrecks?...
Thanks
Matt

60Dan

Explorer
so cool.

Can you give us a general idea of what you have into this?

Approx how much does a US spec 80 series cost?
Approx how much does a donor front clip w/ motor and trans cost?
Approx how much does the labor cost?
What unexpected expenses did you have in this swap?

Any guesses of what the post swap value of the LC is?
Is this an investment since it's a hard to find this setup or like most vehicle mods it's just a money pit?

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it seems there are more diesel nuts on here than I thought!

Detslider, those are some "how long is a piece of string" questions, however I will do my best to answer them for you. Others have PM'd me similar questions, so here goes ...

1) Can you give us a general idea of what you have into this?
Yes, are you sitting down?!
All said and done with the cost of the engine, cost of the labor, cost of the new parts (BEB's, Water pump, thermostat, Timing belt, injectors rebuilt, new clutch from Australia, bets, pyro and boost gauges, transmission tunnel cover and boots), shipping 2 vehicles out and shipping 1 vehicle back, misc parts etc etc I will be into this for around $18k.

Will this be the same cost for the next guy? Honestly, I dunno!
You have to understand shipping alone going back and forth across the country has run me $2k, so I suppose you could argue its more like $16k total. Not to mention I found the engine and transmission more or less down the road from me and got a stellar deal so there was no shipping in from Japan or Australia to contend with.

2) Is this an investment since it's a hard to find this setup or like most vehicle mods it's just a money pit?

Hmm well some will argue both sides. I dont see it as either. Im not planning on selling, its what I want so Im happy.
Now in saying that, this is a rare combo, so yes it will hold its value (here in the US) more or less, and if you search the classified over at Mud and on here, you will see that conversions done by Proffitts tend to hold their value as their work is of a higher standard than your typical shop. People know that work done by them is done right, first time, and that lends itself to peace of mind when buying a conversion such as this.
Others would say its a money pit and you could put a V8 gas motor in for cheaper - well probably, but like I said before Im a diesel enthusiast! So, meh!

3) Approx how much does a donor front clip w/ motor and trans cost?
My engine and trans combo was around $8k, Specter Off Road last time I checked was around $12k. During the time I was looking, average price was around $10-12k depending if it was the 1HDT model or the 1HDFT model, whether it was an auto or a manual.
I got lucky (but I searched and searched and searched (see post #1 page 1 of this thread), you could too just depends how resourceful, and patient you are, knowing what you want and sticking to a plan.

4) Approx how much does the labor cost?
This will vary from shop to shop. If you call Proffitts they will most likely quote you around the $5k mark. Dont quote me on that, as we all know prices are subject to change as with anything, so dont go banana sandwich on them if you call and its slightly different. Im sure it all depends on how much labor they are going to have into it.
Is the engine all there?
Are there any extra items that need to be sourced from abroad?
Is you vehicle OBD1 or OBD2?
Are you sticking with an auto, or are they going to have to modify your transmission tunnel to put a manual in?
Does the engine run?
What parts are shot and need to be replaced?
What engine are you installing? Some are more involved that others, even says so on their site under the 'cons' section: http://proffittscruisers.com/engine-conversions/diesel-engine-options/toyota-diesel.html
etc etc etc

All these things can change the cost of the swap and increase or decrease the man hours that are put into doing the conversion therefore changing the quote.

4) What unexpected expenses did you have in this swap?
None really. I budgeted an extra $1500 for misc "things", and came in on that. The misc items were things like the injector rebuild, exhaust, tanks of fuel for the truck while its being test driven, things like that.

5) Any guesses of what the post swap value of the LC is?
Not really. It all depends on the potential buyer. The value of this vehicle after the swap plus the cost of the original truck, plus all the ARB accessories, winch, lights, sliders, custom rear tire carrier, would be at the $30k mark I would say.

So there you have it, I hope you were sitting down! Why did I do it? Well see post #1 page 1 on this thread.
Yes that may seem like a lot of money to some (especially our lucky Canadian neighbors who have them like this from the factory, or our fellow Toyota brothers from across the pond). You have to WANT to do it. The way I see it, I have a fully capable, fully locked on road and off road rig, which will burn the fuel I make for around a $1 a gallon, get (hopefully) around 20mpg for less than the cost of a new Tundra.

I hope this thread comes in helpful to everyone.

Last edited:

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
Dan - thanks for the detailed response! This helps others in their decision making process.

Did you have a chance to drive on any steep inclines while you were there? If so, what was your impression compared to the 1FZ-FE?

60Dan

Explorer
Your all welcome!
Yeah some people dont like to post $$ amounts for some reason, but how can a thread be interesting and helpful at the same time, if you only give half the information!?

No I didnt get to go on any steep hills while I was there, but im planning on attending the GSMTR in Sparta in May, and there is a pretty good sized long hill which I plan to pull my trailer up to get there. I'll post back how it does.
John at Proffitts said he took it up a pretty steep grade and it would hold 65mph no problem with temps around the 1000F mark at 4200ft ASL.

60Dan

Explorer
So if I wanted to duplicate this build
is that $18K total or $18K plus an 80 series LC?

No thats PLUS an 80 series LC. See answer to question 5.
With the gas prices going up you may find yourself a good deal on a nice 80 for cheap though.

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
Daniel,

You have forgotten the biggest expense of all.....you have to pay my ransom to give it back!!! I just don't think I can do it....you may have to pry the keys out of my hand. :bike_rider:

Just kidding.

It is such a sweet truck for sure. I am glad you were able to come out and take a look. Thanks for that; we don't get to meet many customers face to face so it is always nice to finally meet someone after all the phone conversations and emails. Thanks again.

Keep me posted when it will ship.

Take care and Thanks again,

John

60Dan

Explorer
Daniel,

You have forgotten the biggest expense of all.....you have to pay my ransom to give it back!!! I just don't think I can do it....you may have to pry the keys out of my hand. :bike_rider:

Just kidding.

It is such a sweet truck for sure. I am glad you were able to come out and take a look. Thanks for that; we don't get to meet many customers face to face so it is always nice to finally meet someone after all the phone conversations and emails. Thanks again.

Keep me posted when it will ship.

Take care and Thanks again,

John

Hey John

Damn I didnt budget for bribe money! I knew I was forgetting something! LOL!!

Great to meet everyone, thanks again for the tour and hanging with me to answer all my questions. Hopefully I'll find myself in Salt Lake again soon ... if so I'll supply the sausage Mc Muffins again, unless your off the clock then first round of beers are on me!!

Thanks again for all your hard work :smiley_drive:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
60Dan, That was very stellar of you to provide such an in depth response into the cost factor for your conversion. I'm anxious to hear about some mpg figures and range once your settled in. Awesome cruiser! Thanks for sharing... I can only imagine how stoked you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998