My quest to get a van. Looking for advice and wisdom.

rockbender

Adventurer
After owning an older diesel E350 on 35's, we built out a more civilized Chevy Express AWD (in WHITE!) with a CCV poptop (looks like a conversion van going down the road). My wife sold her Volvo wagon and now daily drives the white van and has zero regrets.

My only recommendation is that if it is a daily driver then you really need to make an RB work. EB's, IMHO, are just a little too much for getting in and out of parking lots and parallel / diagonal parking areas on a regular basis.

Vans rule. Everything is packed ready to go, all the time.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
What worries you about driving a van?
Usually way more visability due to the hight.
Rather nimble for the size/weight.
Strong bumpers to fend off parallel parking mistakes.
Many types of stock mirrors to choose from for added visability.
And menacing to other drivers so they keep clear LOL

wjeeper

It sounds like I ran a similar set-up to what you run now. We had a RTT on the top of a Jeep Wrangler and used it for dry camping all over southern Utah. It was either take the RTT off between trips (royal PITA) or buy a new cover for it every season (got expensive in a hurry). Once the dogs and our crap was all loaded up we got really cramped. I even ended up building a trailer to help give us more room, but that came with its own set of problems. With the van its already loaded, ready to go minus, the cooler and dogs.
I hope I can sell her on it. I think part of it is she thinks Vans are creepy. :(
My wife was the hardest part of making the changeover. The sell on the van was difficult until she got a tour/ ride in her bosses Sportsmobile..........then she was totally sold.

20 mpg would be better then I can get in the Tacoma loaded down !!
We realistically get 15-18 MPG out of our AWD express, loaded or not it really doesn't seem to make a difference. I swear MPG is one area you can take the most honest trustworthy person and they will stretch the truth, sometimes a lot. Our previous rig dipped solidly into the single digits, was cramped and had a 55 MPH top speed (4 cylinder) when loaded for a four day weekend. Being able to run 75 MPH, get to where the fun is fast and still get mid teens MPG has been awesome!

I'm more so worried about driving such a large vehicle day to day, I'm guessing I will get use to it but have never owned anything so large before.
I know you are looking at Fords with the RB but consider this: Comparing a Chevy extended cab, short box truck to a Chevy Express short wheelbase you only have a 2" longer wheelbase but bumper to bumper you are 3" shorter. Physically a van is similar to a truck, I think they feel huge sitting inside them because of the big interior.

I love the way the Ford vans look and as much as I want a U joint 4wd van I know I can live without 4wd. My basic plan would be a Weld tech lift some bigger tires and some sort of LSD in the rear for some of the sandy roads
Honestly a set of aggressive tires, LSD/ locker would get me through almost everything I would want to get through in the back country with a 2WD. I think in the 4500ish miles I drove offroad on various trips last year I engaged 4x4high twice (only needed it once) and put it into 4x4 low once to get through up a canyon I had no business going down traveling solo.

I know you are looking at Econolines but I would strongly suggest considering an AWD Express! AWD has gotten me down rougher trails than I thought it would. Its always engaged so you just kinda cruise through stuff without having to stop and engage/ disengage the front end. I found our van and it was very comparable in price to any of the 2WD vans I was finding. Best part is it was ready to go out of the box without spending time or $7000+ converting it. That’s a lot of money you could be out enjoying the van with

Just a few random thoughts from the first few months of van ownership:
  • Stealth camping/ privacy with a van has been nice. There have been times where we were super exhausted on the way home we pulled into a Walmart/ rest area/ truck stop to grab a few hours of sleep to make it safely back. Being in an enclosed vehicle is quieter and has a safety factor is nice.
  • Rain don't bother me much anymore! Folding up a wet RTT sucks and gets your bedding wet, which sucks on a multi day trip.
  • Wind. Yeah the van rocks a little bit when it really blows, but it doesnt feel like your going to be blown off the face of the earth. I have spent more than one sleepless night in the west desert sleeping in the front seat instead of the RTT
  • Cold weather camping enjoyable now! Haven't even have the heater installed yet and there is a HUGE difference between an lightly insulated van and a tent.
  • Much easier for a dog to hop into a van themselves, RTT's and doggies suck.
  • No more ladder! My wife has hip/ back problems and is vertically challenged and has hated that ladder from day one!
  • Night time, half asleep, potty breaks climbing down a ladder are no more!
  • Going #2 is way more private with a porta-potty inside the van.
  • Breaking down/ setting up camp is almost instantaneous!
  • Once you get past the stigmas attached to being a van owner we realized they are pretty comfortable, practical vehicles.
  • The short wheelbase chevy van we have feels cavernous inside. Our intention is to keep is a simple lay out and still pack like we are in a Jeep, if we didn't need it with the jeep we sure don't need it now. Just because you have the extra room doesn't mean we have to fill it with pointless crap.
  • Daily driving is actually just fine now that I am use to it. The higher seating position gives you a good view of whats ahead. Stock you sit higher than a significantly lifted truck. My van only has rear windows so backing up is a little bit more of a pain, but using the mirrors works just fine, I am use to it. Plus a little planning or parking a few stalls farther from the door solves that problem.
  • Parking garages. If I took off the ladder rack that is up top i would fit in my parking garage at work!
  • AWD, factory locking rear diff, 2-3" lift has surprised me where it will go. If I want to go "rock crawling" I can just tow my trail jeep behind us and take that on the hard trails in Moab.
  • Aftermarket support. The AWD express has almost none, the Econoline has tons. I enjoy fabrication so either way i would be making most of my own parts, but sometimes its nice to have something to copy:coffee:

Just some thoughts from somebody who just made the jump to a fullsize van! (sorry for the novel!)

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The creepy van thing is common with white vans. Change the tires and rims add some color or repaint and it goes away.

The DD issue is something only you can decide. RB vans don't handle or park any worse than a short bed crew cab truck in most cases. The amount of work/effort to drive a van vs a truck or small car is pretty much the same. In some ways the extra height of a van can help in traffic.

The benefits of a van for outdoor activities are many, especially for camping. Prior to switching to a van my wife and I never realized how much time we spent setting up camp, organizing stuff/gear, and breaking camp every day. With a van you can get your gear/equipment configured in a more permanent way, and you have shelter from the elements.

With our van we can make camp in less than 5 minutes. It is so much more enjoyable when you have limited time off. Every minute the you save is another you can spend doing what you enjoy.

Another plus with the van is privacy. Add some curtains or tinted windows, and you can do whatever you want, when you want. Nobody will be the wiser unless your shocks are too soft. :Wow1: With a bit of insulation you can substantially reduce noise transmission, which makes catching some sleep in a noisy area much more reasonable.

With a little creativity you can make quick-remove modules for the van. These can be a bed, storage, or even AUX electrical. I have seen some quick-remove kitchen cabinets with fresh water, stove, and fridge/icebox. Install when needed, remove when not. This way you can keep the entire back free for when your friend needs help moving out. :sombrero:

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Consider this if you are really concerned about DD a van.
Every painting/plumbing/heating/electrical contractor in town has a whole fleet of guys who do nothing other then drive van's around.
I don't DD my personal van but have spent several years driving nothing but over loaded 1 ton vans to and from work. After about 3 days it's just old news and not even really considered.

hobovan

'00 E350SD PSD
So I looked it up, and the Uhaul in Henderson will rent you a 9' cargo van for $19.95 day + .59 cents a mile. Seems like the easiest way to figure out if it's for you.

Jtai

Thank all so much for the great in site into van ownership.

Wjeeper thank you for breaking it down like that for me. I had never really looked into the AWD vans I will do some research on them. And quick camp setup and break down sounds wonderful compared to what I'm doing now.

luthj now that you point it out a RB van is about the same as a full size pickup front to back. With that being said I know I could drive a truck day to day and live with it.

You all have giving me so much to think about. Thank you !!!!!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
One more thought to consider if you want a 7.3 don't worry about the cosmetics you can always bolt on a new front end later.

We have a DC Tacoma, but have a ground tent (not a RTT). We recently got a E150 that is my wife's DD and she loves driving it. Lots of visibility from sitting up high and windows all around, plus the huge towing mirrors that minimize blind spots. I know you dont have kids, but we have 2 - the cargo space for kid gear is amazing. I can't comment on van camping bc we still tent camp. Ours has the factory posi. I can't wait to get some good AT's on it. But, back to your GF. she will love it once she starts driving it.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've been using a E350 Crestline Ambulance as a DD... :D
I don't think you'll have any trouble with a RB as a DD. With A backup camera I can easily parallel park in almost any space... although it's as long as most spaces (21') so I need at least 24-25' to get in. With a 138" WB, it's like driving a F150... except it's 8'3". I was even parking in our underground till they put a height restriction bar at 6'8" because some bozo kept hitting the Garage door opener... even hit the low point of the roof hard enough for it to be felt on the 3rd floor of the office building.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
20 mpg would be better then I can get in the Tacoma loaded down !!

I hope I can sell her on it. I think part of it is she thinks Vans are creepy. :(

I daily my van with a 4" u joint conversion 32" tires and a v10, its powered by $100 bills, about one a week. If pulling trailers or heavy loads/ long distances isn't your thing then forget the diesels and v10, I would get a 5.4, in fact I would probably be looking at a expresavana with a 5.3 or sprinter diesel.
Parallel parking is just as easy as my tundra, the e350 is just 1" longer. The back up cam is gold here.
I will have to say my van has a limited turning radius vs stock but after a year I commended myself this evening for pulling into a tight grocery store spot perfectly without having to back up and straighten out.

Believe me when your lady friend spins around in the passenger seat (wether it's raining or not) and jumps in bed without having to find a spot to camp, set up that RTT, etc. she will forget about the creepiness. The van makes multi day travel way easier with the result seeing more with less setup and take down everyday. I will never own a pickup truck again, after 25 years.

On a recent trip with my 9 year old daughter she must have said a dozen times, "I love the van" :)

Windy outside, cold? Jump in the van. Want to leave after work late and drive as far as you can? Sure, pull over anywhere late and crash out....you will be laughing at how you spent so long without it.

Last edited:

350outrage

Adventurer
I'm on my 3d van, which I've owned for 14 years. On a recent trip to Alaska, we rented a 4wd Chevy Pickup for a week of traveling backroads down the Kenai. How I missed the Van! Everything in back was either wet, dirty, or both. No ability to crawl back for a quick (dry and secure) nap. I actually said, several times, "God I wish we had the van!" If you like the outdoors and versatility, you'll love the van. My first 2 were DD's, and thats really no problem, but I am able to afford a Camry for DD now. Still DD the van during inclement weather and every weekend regardless...just for fun.

jmeb

Observer
I don't really have a DD as I bike / walk to work, but I'd have no problem with an 8 mi commute. My van is small (Astro), but it is easy to navigate in the city and has a impressively tight turn radius.

If you're not wedded to Ford, AWD Astro/Safari/Express/Savanna's are pretty easy to find. Some of them have G80 lockers in the back end. Even if the one you pick up doesn't, a drop-in locker like the Powertrax No-Slip is easy to do. You can cover tons of area with AWD and a small lift.

My SO got over the creep factor quick. My friends are pretty pro-van now too. Hanging out inside during winter ski trips or on rainy afternoons is way more comfortable than any tent I've ever been in. When that desert wind picks up, being inside can be really nice. No worries about finding a place to setup, can be reasonably stealthy if need be.

And white isn't always creepy, and is the best color for hot days. With a small lift, some racks for whatever sports your into, maybe some recovery gear / jerry cans slapped to the outside, white doesn't have to be creepy. At least I don't think mine is, but perhaps I'm not a good judge.

Vs0jZA6.jpg

Plus, if you're selling that Taco & RTT you can get a lot of van from the money the Tacoma brings in. Maybe enough to buy a $2k honda civic if you really want a different DD.

Sometimes I get a bit envious when rolling in my buddies nice TRD Tacoma. But he also gets envious hanging out in my van. Figure out which "pros" of van vs a truck are more important to you and don't let some silly stigma against one decide.

Can you do this in your RTT comfortably when it's 20F outside?

qL1i3fM.jpg

Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
So I looked it up, and the Uhaul in Henderson will rent you a 9' cargo van for $19.95 day + .59 cents a mile. Seems like the easiest way to figure out if it's for you.

When the "Approval Mgr" went with me for the first test drive, a passenger van was selected by myself to help ensure project success.......I got lucky "not white" was the only demand...

A cargo van project was still in the running at the time but I looked hard for a passenger van to drive due to shock factor of the rolling tin can on the uninformed, (go by yourself to U Haul).

My "Approval Mgr" denied the 6" lift and 35's better luck to you, if it is a camper you do get in and out ALOT, Mgr's point taken.....

AWD a small lift and 32's has been enough to get into some very nice backcountry even in the rain,snow,mud and sugar sand.......17 MPG's AND quiet on the trail.:ylsmoke:.............

DudeAbides

Observer
My "Approval Mgr" denied the 6" lift and 35's better luck to you, if it is a camper you do get in and out ALOT, Mgr's point taken...........

I'm in the opposite boat. Will not be approved unless I have a timeline for 4x4 conversion, lift 4-6", and put on at least 33's but she would prefer 35's. Poor me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears