My SAS Mazda B2600 Diesel Expedition project

tomaco1

Observer
Hey Jeff, project is back on!
I was wondering how you handled the intercooler?
I have a top mounted intercooler and am trying to get a hood scoop to work. I just bought a Subaru hood at the junkyard and am going to try and weld it into the mazda hood.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Hey Jeff, project is back on!
I was wondering how you handled the intercooler?
I have a top mounted intercooler and am trying to get a hood scoop to work. I just bought a Subaru hood at the junkyard and am going to try and weld it into the mazda hood.

I haven't installed one yet.

How's the motor working for you over the past 2+ years? Have you had any issues to report? What type of mileage are you getting? Would you do it over again?

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
It's doing great Spence! No issues at all, it's been flawless. I'm getting around 26mpg mixed driving. I would do it again for sure!
I still want to add an intercooler at some point for a bit more power and bring the EGT's down some.

It's doing great Spence! No issues at all, it's been flawless. I'm getting around 26mpg mixed driving. I would do it again for sure!
I still want to add an intercooler at some point for a bit more power and bring the EGT's down some.

That's good to hear, I ordered a 4d56 from www.maxoverdrive.ca back in July. It arrived about 3 weeks ago. There were definitely a few surprises but it is workable. It had the dual belts, Garrett turbo, some additional emissions, and it needed some oil pan mods.

So is your engine say "KIA" on the valve cover or does is say "Hyundia"?

emohn

Observer
Hey Jeff,

Passed you on hwy 22 earlier today and the truck's looking great! Such a cool project. Wish there was a decent diesel option for my Frontier. It's the perfect size truck for me, but my 15 mpg fill ups hurt every time.

-Erik M

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Hey Jeff,

Passed you on hwy 22 earlier today and the truck's looking great! Such a cool project. Wish there was a decent diesel option for my Frontier. It's the perfect size truck for me, but my 15 mpg fill ups hurt every time.

-Erik M

Oh cool! What's your Frontier look like?

Hey Jeff, what did you do for cold starts. Mine does not have a fast idle mechanism nor provisions to mount a throttle cable like the 4D55 had. Sabbir thought it should be controlled by a water line running to the pump but the pump does not have a water line. Do you have any insight?

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I haven't had any problems. It was -20 last week, I just cycled the glow plugs for about 5 seconds and it fired up after sitting outside. I do have a block heater but I've never used it. I have my idle set at about 900rpm.

smugshot_1905541-L.jpg

smugshot_8991440-L.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78