My Search is over "Tune Outdoors M1" in person!

Billincamo

Nice reply. You opened my eyes to Tune. I had never heard of them but am very interested. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a topper. The M1 is in the running, but I have mixed feelings. Go with super cool but unproven or go with the more established. I think I know what I'm getting with Ovrlnd...good product, great customer service. M1 seems like a good product on paper, but there's no track record. Not sure on the customer service at this point. Everybody is great at the start, but who knows what they'll be like down the road.

I hear you and don't blame you one bit. If I didn't get to see the M1 in person there is no way I would have put a deposit down on one. Once I was able to see it and put my hands on it I felt there was nothing better on the market and some not near as stout as an M1. Living an hour from the factory is an added bonus if I do need any warranty work done. The fact that I spent time talking with all three partners made my decision even easier. A group of guys that I feel are in it for the long haul.

Billincamo

AMAZING!

What a coincidence!

So many new members with a deep interest in the same newly introduced camper!

What are the chances!?

:eek:o_O
Not sure what your point is. Apparently you were never a new member at one time. If your implying I have some kind of connection to Tune Outdoors you are wrong. I own Bill Pellegrino's Archery Hut in Colorado Springs, CO. I am a retired Colorado Springs firefighter (34 years of service). I spend more time outdoors then I do indoors. I have owned a Big Foot Camper, Four Wheel Camper, and a GFC over the last 30 years. I guess I had an in with those companies also, hahahaha. Forgive ms for sharing my experience with a new company that I fortunately learned about from Expeditionportal 2 days before I was going to put a deposit down on a different camper. I was extremely happy I got lucky and read about Tune Outdoor when I did. It kept me from an expensive mistake. If you noticed when I refer to the three partners I don't mention any names, because I don't remember their names. I do feel that Tune Outdoors has a product different from anything on the market and I left their factory with a feeling that they are going to be very successful. I drove up to Denver with low expectations and didn't think there was a chance I would be leaving a deposit behind. I had already made up my mind on what I was going to purchase. You'll have to excuse me for sharing my experience with forum members, I was under the impression that is what this forum was about.

Bill, If I understand your description of the corners correctly, they are not metal but a molded composite? Will these corners stand up the flex of the truck bed in rough terrain?
The side panel doors, are they framed or more of a flat aluminum, and are they ridged with no flex?
Thanks Jeff

Billincamo

Jeff,
The corners are extremely beefy, I don't believe any amount of flex could have a negative effect on them. they are over engineered and over built.

If I remember correctly the doors are flat aluminum and have an angle aluminum framework on the interior side. I don't remember if they flexed or not . They reminded me of my GFC doors somewhat.

Not sure what your point is. Apparently you were never a new member at one time. If your implying I have some kind of connection to Tune Outdoors you are wrong. I own Bill Pellegrino's Archery Hut in Colorado Springs, CO. I am a retired Colorado Springs firefighter (34 years of service). I spend more time outdoors then I do indoors. I have owned a Big Foot Camper, Four Wheel Camper, and a GFC over the last 30 years. I guess I had an in with those companies also, hahahaha. Forgive ms for sharing my experience with a new company that I fortunately learned about from Expeditionportal 2 days before I was going to put a deposit down on a different camper. I was extremely happy I got lucky and read about Tune Outdoor when I did. It kept me from an expensive mistake. If you noticed when I refer to the three partners I don't mention any names, because I don't remember their names. I do feel that Tune Outdoors has a product different from anything on the market and I left their factory with a feeling that they are going to be very successful. I drove up to Denver with low expectations and didn't think there was a chance I would be leaving a deposit behind. I had already made up my mind on what I was going to purchase. You'll have to excuse me for sharing my experience with forum members, I was under the impression that is what this forum was about.
Report him. He’s just being an obnoxious troll.

Inked

Really liking this arrangement, space! Priced really well (relative of course to everything else out there) Would love to see a tailgate delete option for this.

84FLH

You called me out and dressed me down fair and square, Billincamo. I apologize for insulting and impugning your integrity, character, and your camper.

How it happened, I don't know, but I didn't see your "member" status when I read the post. I did see, though, lots of new guys chiming in on a relatively new camper offering. Through bad experience on a major hunting site, I found when lots of new members tout something, they're, well, touting it.

If I'd not been so fast on the trigger, so to speak, and saw it was a knowledgable member reporting on a subject he's forgotten more about than I may ever know, I'd have sat down and shut up.

But no. I went off half cocked.

Now, reading your articulate rebuttal to my knuckle dragging act, I'm a bit ashamed to have thoughtlessly smeared a man of obviously good character and morals. The kind of man who was the fiber of the America I grew up in, and who made America great in the first place.

I am humbled by your words and I apologize for mine.

Billincamo

You called me out and dressed me down fair and square, Billincamo. I apologize for insulting and impugning your integrity, character, and your camper.

How it happened, I don't know, but I didn't see your "member" status when I read the post. I did see, though, lots of new guys chiming in on a relatively new camper offering. Through bad experience on a major hunting site, I found when lots of new members tout something, they're, well, touting it.

If I'd not been so fast on the trigger, so to speak, and saw it was a knowledgable member reporting on a subject he's forgotten more about than I may ever know, I'd have sat down and shut up.

But no. I went off half cocked.

Now, reading your articulate rebuttal to my knuckle dragging act, I'm a bit ashamed to have thoughtlessly smeared a man of obviously good character and morals. The kind of man who was the fiber of the America I grew up in, and who made America great in the first place.

I am humbled by your words and I apologize for mine.

No need to apologize, I shouldn't have taken it personally as I am also suspicious of posts and their motives. I can't blame you. unfortunately In this day and age a person has to look at posts with both eyes completely open. I was pretty pumped when I found the Tune Outdoors Camper as it feels like the perfect camper for my needs and I wanted to share that with other members. My only intentions were to let others know that this was another option for a truck camper. When I heard about this unit I had very low expectations and after seeing it in person was incredibly impressed with the design and quality, enough to put a deposit down on the spot. Fortunately I had already looked at all the other alternatives before seeing the M1 in person. Your obviously a person of great character as a lot of people would have read my response and just moved on instead offering a genuine apology. Have a great day!

Wallygator

Adventurer
Subcribed!(y) Looking forward to the delivery of your camper. A new company is hard to get behind but it sounds like this is legit and could be something I may "need" in the future.

Last edited:

Bergger

Explorer
I got a chance to see one of these a couple of days ago at the RV show in Denver. I have to say it is a nice unit. It appears to be very well built and compared to my ATO Summit it is huge inside. The quality looks very good, the space in giant inside, the bed platform with east/west sleeping is nice (as long as your not much over 6' but they do offer a bed extension, and I liked the power pack platform they had mounted on the track. I also liked the included lighting. In my opinion its going to be a great 3 season, or 4 season if your winters are very mild, camper. Also with the extra space it'd be great if you have a child.

I'm really glad I got to see it and get inside it. However for us it would not work for several reasons. First, while the space is giant inside, I prefer the more streamline shape of the AT and some of the other toppers out there. Since 90% of the time I'm just driving around and not camping I like to have less wind drag. Also since I live in a climate with extreme and long winters it would definitely not work. I needed the most insulated and condensation proof camper topper out there. The single pane windows, though they 2x as thick as a windshield, coupled with the large amount of exposed aluminum and the smooth hard ceiling would turn it into a condensation and frost fest once temps got down into the teens and single digits. Even with a heater and fan based on my experiences in my topper I think it'd be a problem for us. So for that it just would not work for me. The fabric they use seems pretty good though not as thick and tight as what's on my AT Summit. But appears much better than others like the GF and FW campers.

However for those who camp in warmer temps, want a larger interior space, do not mind the large side overhang, and single pane windows it looks like a very good product to me and I'd definitely check them out. Like I said the quality looks quite good. I did not see it closed so I do not know if the top fits flush with the bottom or if the top overlaps the bottom. If it fits flush hopefully they have designed it so it does not leak or collect water like many of the GF campers do. That's one thing I really like about the AT is how the top overlaps the bottom when closed. Stays bone dry inside. But from talking to them and looking at the product it appears that they have done lots of research and testing. Also they are going to have other options coming out as well, such as a maxxair fan, thermal pack, screens for the windows (hopefully shades cuz those windows are huge!), and I believe there is going to be a heater option as well.

Anyway those are just my thoughts and it was really cool to see a new product coming to market. If you're looking for a topper camper I'd certainly check this one out before making your decision.

Billincamo

I got a chance to see one of these a couple of days ago at the RV show in Denver. I have to say it is a nice unit. It appears to be very well built and compared to my ATO Summit it is huge inside. The quality looks very good, the space in giant inside, the bed platform with east/west sleeping is nice (as long as your not much over 6' but they do offer a bed extension, and I liked the power pack platform they had mounted on the track. I also liked the included lighting. In my opinion its going to be a great 3 season, or 4 season if your winters are very mild, camper. Also with the extra space it'd be great if you have a child.

I'm really glad I got to see it and get inside it. However for us it would not work for several reasons. First, while the space is giant inside, I prefer the more streamline shape of the AT and some of the other toppers out there. Since 90% of the time I'm just driving around and not camping I like to have less wind drag. Also since I live in a climate with extreme and long winters it would definitely not work. I needed the most insulated and condensation proof camper topper out there. The single pane windows, though they 2x as thick as a windshield, coupled with the large amount of exposed aluminum and the smooth hard ceiling would turn it into a condensation and frost fest once temps got down into the teens and single digits. Even with a heater and fan based on my experiences in my topper I think it'd be a problem for us. So for that it just would not work for me. The fabric they use seems pretty good though not as thick and tight as what's on my AT Summit. But appears much better than others like the GF and FW campers.

However for those who camp in warmer temps, want a larger interior space, do not mind the large side overhang, and single pane windows it looks like a very good product to me and I'd definitely check them out. Like I said the quality looks quite good. I did not see it closed so I do not know if the top fits flush with the bottom or if the top overlaps the bottom. If it fits flush hopefully they have designed it so it does not leak or collect water like many of the GF campers do. That's one thing I really like about the AT is how the top overlaps the bottom when closed. Stays bone dry inside. But from talking to them and looking at the product it appears that they have done lots of research and testing. Also they are going to have other options coming out as well, such as a maxxair fan, thermal pack, screens for the windows (hopefully shades cuz those windows are huge!), and I believe there is going to be a heater option as well.

Anyway those are just my thoughts and it was really cool to see a new product coming to market. If you're looking for a topper camper I'd certainly check this one out before making your decision.

I agree 100% about condensation in the stock form of the M1. I ordered the max fan for ventilation. Also went windowless knowing I am going to insulate the sides and back hatches with reflectix. I did this in my GFC and never had an issue. Also kept it cooler in the summers. I live in Colorado, so I have camped in temps down to -5 in my GFC without condensation and stayed warm enough for a good nights sleep. Although putting my cold boots on in the morning is never fun. That was with a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag. I am ordering the insulation pack for the tent portion as soon as it comes available. I don't think I will have any issues on my late season hunts which tend into December. I routinely camp in a tent when its 10 to 20 degrees without a heater so the M1 insulated with a heater should be toasty.

I just noticed the “lift board” design in the Tune pictures. That appears make dealing with condensation far easier than it is on FWC style campers.

Billincamo

Good news. Received a call today they are getting ready to start my build. I am making a trip up to Denver tomorrow to have take final measurements on my Ram 1500. They were good with me taking the measurements but I have the time to make a trip so I am going to meet them measure the bed out. Figured since this willl be their first Ram 1500 build that would be a better plan. Best guess was 1st week of May for completion. Going to do my best to wear it out starting in May!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12