My *slow going* M416 camping trailer build.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Found another weakness, the actuators would not work at all when it was in the teens for temperature. I do not know if they got a decent amount of moisture in them or what, but even with it stored in the barn when I went to lift it I could not get any of the 4 to even attempt to lift.

OppugnAll

Two questions..

What size tires are you running on the trailer..

And based especially on your latest problems with the actuators. If you started from beginning, how would you design your system? I love the overall usefulness of the design, having RTT and full use of trailer bed. So looking to gain from your experience of your work done so far, how I might replicate the idea.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Two questions..

What size tires are you running on the trailer..

And based especially on your latest problems with the actuators. If you started from beginning, how would you design your system? I love the overall usefulness of the design, having RTT and full use of trailer bed. So looking to gain from your experience of your work done so far, how I might replicate the idea.

Tires are 225/75 R16

I would design it from the start to use actuators, only I would find a weatherproof actuator up front. I likely would use the trailer tongue lift actuator like what I listed earlier in this thread, as they are weatherproof.

If I did not do that, I would consider gas struts, and try to figure out a way to lower it.

For me the scissor jack was more of a pain and extra weight then it was worth, it also took forever to put up. I like the convenience of the actuators as I can be setting up camp as it raises and I can control the height at which I set up the tent pretty easily.

I likely wont camp in the winter, but I wish I would have known they would be so finicky about the temperature as I could plan ahead and store the trailer in the barn with the platform already raised.

tdittyrocks

Observer
Did you happen to check the voltage of your battery? When we had a cold snap here, in the teens, I attempted to raise my rtt and my actuators didn't move either. I checked the battery voltage and it was low, just under 10v. I plugged the charger in and tried again. This time it worked! My actuators are mounted horizontally and I live in a pretty dry climate so I am probably less likely to have water make its way into the screw drive of the acuator. I thought I'd ask because low voltage seemed to be the cause of my initial disappointment.

Travis

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Did you happen to check the voltage of your battery? When we had a cold snap here, in the teens, I attempted to raise my rtt and my actuators didn't move either. I checked the battery voltage and it was low, just under 10v. I plugged the charger in and tried again. This time it worked! My actuators are mounted horizontally and I live in a pretty dry climate so I am probably less likely to have water make its way into the screw drive of the acuator. I thought I'd ask because low voltage seemed to be the cause of my initial disappointment.

Travis

I had my float charger plugged in on it, and it was showing 100%. My on board voltage meter was not showing the voltage as being down. It was the first thing I checked. Why they wouldn't move when cold I still do not have a clue.

Zerofallen

I had my float charger plugged in on it, and it was showing 100%. My on board voltage meter was not showing the voltage as being down. It was the first thing I checked. Why they wouldn't move when cold I still do not have a clue.

Probably unlikely, but they hadn't seized due to the metals contracting at a different rate?

jah310

Adventurer
Could you share where you got the led strip with switch...I'm looking to do the exact same thing for my trailer tent, but haven't able to find a led strip with switch. Any help would be much appreciated - thanks,

Added an led strip so I don't have to hang a battery lantern inside. Trying to figure out where to put the others.

4uta8esu.jpg

u8u6ysep.jpg

azutyha6.jpg

4a8ezupe.jpg

3udu4uny.jpg

ezyrydus.jpg

jeepfreak81

Adventurer

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Found another weakness, the actuators would not work at all when it was in the teens for temperature. I do not know if they got a decent amount of moisture in them or what, but even with it stored in the barn when I went to lift it I could not get any of the 4 to even attempt to lift.

Did you ever get this resolved? I'll give you a long shot to check. I worked on an electric actuator for use external on aircraft. At -65F the grease became more like stiff tar than a lube and the electric motor would stall. At 19F and if there is a lot of surface area then stiff grease may be the issue. we ended up usng a spray on molybdenum based dry lube.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Any chance ya sell this trailer?????????????????
Not the military one the other one!!

Currently neither trailer is for sale. The utility trailer I posted earlier is far to useful, and as much as I consider selling the expo trailer I know I likely would regret it immediately.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Did you ever get this resolved? I'll give you a long shot to check. I worked on an electric actuator for use external on aircraft. At -65F the grease became more like stiff tar than a lube and the electric motor would stall. At 19F and if there is a lot of surface area then stiff grease may be the issue. we ended up usng a spray on molybdenum based dry lube.

I figure it is a lube issue, I plan to tear the malfunctioning one apart when I order the new one and see if I can tell what happened. KNowing how they are built may help me repair one one day in a pinch. My wife had to work Memorial Day so we didn't go camping, and now for the 4th we aren't going far so I am going to just deal with the actuator. It likely won't get used again until the week after labor day.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I believe this just needs glued, the limit switch appears to be working again on this actuator.

10500372_10152949749493294_291916046877157004_n.jpg

This actuator was stuck, I tore it apart and it appears to work now. This grease sucks, and I am pretty sure it is a big part of the reason the actuators won't work in winter. Does anyone have any grease suggestions?

Edit: Dammit this one keeps conking out, sometimes it is working sometimes it isn't.

10453447_10152949749628294_4797416286032783543_n.jpg

10421148_10152949749763294_4086997018162962939_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle