My Syncro Project

teenwolf

Had a little time to work on one of the rust spots today. It was a little rougher then I expected... This may not be a perment fix, but will keep some mud off me while driving:smiley_drive:

This is my first attempt at any body work, and I only just learned to weld.

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

Also worked on a customers syncro earlier (tune up bits). Curious if anyone knew if these bumpers were aftermarket or something home made?

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

1sweetvan

Adventurer
Looks like you need either more Voltage or less wire. Welds look like they are going in cold. Also make sure your metal is clean, that one piece looks like it is painted. Also ensure there is no Breeze so that the Shielding Gas can do its job and not get blown away. Are you pushing or pulling the wire? With shielding gas you push, with Flux Core you pull the wire.

teenwolf

Voltage was as low as it can go because I was just melting through before. I will try a slower wire speed. I did clean the paint back, just hard to see. Was breezy outside, I will try it indoors. I've got in the habit of pulling for some reason. Our welder is really over kill for sheet metal. I've only welded exhaust piping and that looks much flater/cleaner. Not my best looking work for sure... Thanks for the tips!

The other spots are flat and hopefully easier.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
Yea, definitely push the wire when working with GMAW, (Gas Metal Arc Welding). For a couple or more reasons:

1)As you weld you are moving to cold metal because you are pushing away from what was just welded. If you pull, you are always subjecting the hot metal to more heat.

2)Also, you can go faster putting down less weld and therefore less heat.

3) The shielding gas stabilizes the arc and protects the molten metal as it cools. If you pull, the gas is being projected away from where you are welding.

Solid wire, FCAW (Flux Core Arc Welding) is more like a stick electrode in that the flux protects the metal and stabilizes the arc, so you pull or in the case of a stick electrode drag it.

teenwolf

I've been so busy getting the track car ready that I haven't had time for the van. Hoping to have the westy top off the parts van soon so I can start cleaning and repairing the cracks. If I want to grab the front swivel seat out of it as well, do they need to be cut out? Or do they simply unbolt?

Also I feel my front diff is never engaging and that my VC is gone. I had the van running on the lift and only the rear wheels would spin. Should I remove the center driveshaft until I have time/money for a decoupler/solid shaft? I mean is it going to damage any of my drivetrain?

Thanks Matt

squeegee_boy

I've been so busy getting the track car ready that I haven't had time for the van. Hoping to have the westy top off the parts van soon so I can start cleaning and repairing the cracks. If I want to grab the front swivel seat out of it as well, do they need to be cut out? Or do they simply unbolt?

The mounting plate for the swivel needs to be cut out and re-welded into the "new" van. After that, it's pretty much bolt-on. FYI, the swivel adds an inch of height to the seat. Not a big deal on the passenger side, but for tall folk it can be annoying on the drivers side.

Also I feel my front diff is never engaging and that my VC is gone. I had the van running on the lift and only the rear wheels would spin. Should I remove the center driveshaft until I have time/money for a decoupler/solid shaft? I mean is it going to damage any of my drivetrain?

Thanks Matt
Yeah, that sounds like the VC failed open, which is a fairly rare failure mode (but it happened to mine, too, so it's not unheard of). Usually they become really aggressive.

Assuming there aren't severe vibration issues, leaving the shaft in place won't hurt anything. However, since it's not currently doing anything, you may as well remove it and save a bit of weight and gas money while you're saving for the other bits. It's a good time to inspect the U-joints.

Robyn

squeegee_boy

Oh yeah, don't throw out the VC, even if it is toast. It'll be useful to someone as a core, and you can probably get a few dollars for it.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
neat build. That bumper doesn't look like anything anyone offers currently. Probably home built. Keep up the work! I like syncros!

teenwolf

Finally removed the prop shaft because I was getting a strange feeling in the front wheels like the VC was trying to work. Also some vibration at 35 mph. Is a used prop shaft worth much?

I plan on replacing/ rebuilding as much of the drivetrain I can afford over the winter. I plan on parking it next month indoors and start gathering parts. Driveline first, then camping, then rust repair then a lot more camping.

As for the motor swap I'm leaning towards a 12v vr6 with a small insta spool sized turbo to get plenty of low end pulling power. But at the same time not pushing things to the point of failure. I see guys our making big power in their syncros... hopefully I can find the right balance. I thing somewhere between 200-250 max (driving like a grandmother to church of course) would be ideal for moving a lightly packed van and a 1700 lbs. rabbit/ dolly.

Thing would be moving alot quicker if I didn't own all volkswagens... but I may be driving a tacoma this winter. Maybe I'll take all the VW's off the road and be able to save. :D

teenwolf

Picked up a vr6 and a spare head. High milage but these motor seem to be fairly stout after you do a timing belt job. I have a lot of parts to collect before I can begin to swap but its a start. Also been having a lot of fun playing with my newly inherited tacoma. Almost unstoppable in the snow :smiley_drive:

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

rody

Nice project teenwolf hang on $$$ :) About the engine swap , i did one on mine ok it was all ready deisel . I touch a 1.9 TDI engine out of a 98 jetta put new TB,seal,injectot to get someting reliable and put it in to the hole bolt on . Engine not the big expence about 2000$ tranny is the expence 5000$ just in part . Im really happy with my setup i do 27 mile / gallon at 60-75 m/h at 3200-3500 RPM . VT not to far from my place we should ride sometime together .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78