My take on SleepInJeep and TJ Rear Storage

emohn

Observer
Spent some time out in the garage today reminding myself of what a shoddy carpenter I am. Still, I have plans for the first weekend in November to camp at Road Atlanta for the American Road Race of Champions and wanted a workable solution for sleeping in my TJ.

I came up with this... a 33" x 33" x 10" storage box set up to have two sliding plastic totes (yet to be procured) on either side of a center divider. Along with that is a removable leg portion that slots into the space vacated by the removal of the passenger seat. I figure that along with a bit of cushioning provided by a carved up twin sized 1.5" memory foam topper and my sleeping bag, this should be a pretty comfy setup. I tried it out for roominess and at 6' tall, 210 lbs I found it to be at least as roomy as my solo, backpacker style Kelty Dart tent.

Anywho, here's some halfway decent iPhone pictures. I can take some more detailed pictures once I get the rest of the cushions, etc in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0175[1].JPG
    IMG_0175[1].JPG
    963.6 KB · Views: 355

emohn

Observer
Well, I can only manage to get one of the pictures uploaded at the moment. I'll take some better pictures later if there's any interest.

-Erik

emohn

Observer
A couple more shots attached. I'll try and get some better pictures of the mounting for the detachable front portion, as well as (hopefully) the cushion, etc tomorrow when it's light out and I don't get swarmed by trick-or-treaters in the driveway.

Attachments

• DSC_7848.jpg
    DSC_7848.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_7850.jpg
    DSC_7850.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 221

College Kid

Adventurer
Looks good, I am curious about what your doing with the space left from the passanger seat when your not sleeping. will you be pulling the pass. seat when your planning a trip or just leave it out full time?

emohn

Observer
There's no way to keep the passenger seat, so I'll likely just leave the front portion in place while traveling.

As far as it being too small - well... it's a short wheelbase Wrangler, so it's as much space as I can make available. The forward portion is about 2 ft wide and the rear box is 33", so while not spacious, it's enough room for me to lay flat on my back (my preferred sleeping position) in a mummy bag and still have some wiggle room.

howell_jd

Adventurer
I think it looks better than sleeping sitting up in the driver/passenger seat. I did that a few times in a HMMWV on more than a few deployments. If it works for you is what's important. You might want to give some thought to window darkening too - something you can pop in and out or velcro across. Just a thought. Hope to see your project develop!

emohn

Observer
I'll be packing my tent as an option on the first outing in case I find this setup to be too cramped, but with as much rain as we've had already this fall, I'll gladly trade off a little elbow room to for a 100% guarantee of not waking up with a river running under, through, or around my tent.

The sense of scale may be hard to get with the pictures I've posted, but this platform gives me every bit as much room as I would have in my 1 person tent, or as one of two people in a 2 man tent. Still plenty of headroom and room for other gear to my left (for things I need easy access to) and under me in the bins. Obviously a trailer and RTT or a larger vehicle would be a better option, but for solo weekend trips and considering I've got less than $50 in what you see, I'm pretty happy so far.

I'm heading out shopping in a bit to see what I can come up with for a mattress and storage bins. I'll report back later this evening.

-Erik

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
hmmm....almost seems like a tent outside is a more comfortable option doesn't it?

I vote no on that one.

I have been sleeping inside my wrangler for years -- I find it much nicer than a tent. I did essentially the same thing as Emohn, but without the 10" deep storage area. The deck is the same level rear floor of the tub. This provides a surprising amount of storage under the front section of the platform. Enough for all my recovery gear, tools, rags, etc. There is enough room on top of the platform for me (not exactly a skinny guy) and my mongrel (65 pounds of pit bull) to sleep comfortably.

Yea, it's a just a touch on the narrow side, but it is easier to roll over in than say, a bivy. Plus it's faster to set up/tear down, much quieter (particularly during monsoon season), there are no rocks/sticks to clear out of the way, don't have to wait for a wet tent to dry before packing up in the morning, you have a radio to listen to when you wake up to early, or go to bed early due to incliment weather, . . .

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a later addition that reduces the amount of stuff to load/unload . . .

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled-42a.jpg
    Untitled-42a.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Untitled-43a.jpg
    Untitled-43a.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0001a.jpg
    IMG_0001a.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 212

emohn

Observer
Nice setup, Brian!

I debated on whether or not to go with a storage box + platform, or just a platform. In the end I decided that I hate packing (I *always* forget something) enough that having the rear box always packed and ready to go made the most sense. The added benefit is that it essentially turns my vehicle into a Bug-Out-Vehicle (not that I'm a SHTF'er) or that I'm prepared if stuck out on the road or trail. I like that wheel well storage a lot and might have to tackle something like that on the drivers' side.

-Erik

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
A couple important notes about the storage boxes that cover the wheel wells . . .

You can't drop the top with those installed. The arms that support the rear bow can't drop down where they need to. Not a problem for me, as I never take the top off. You can still pull the windows out -- which is what I usually do.

Second, you can't install the rear seat. Again, not a problem for me, as I travel solo, or with my g/f. As a bonus, people don't want you to be the designated driver anymore. :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman