My Ultimate Expediton Vehicle

detailbarn

Adventurer
Thought I would share this and get some feed back. Base vehicle would be a 2000-2004 Dodge Dakota standard cab , with an extra cab mounted with a shorted bed. This would give me a decent wheelbase not to long or to short. While still having good inside storage and plenty of outside bed storage.

Not sure if my notes are readable after the scan so I will post them if they can't be read.

expedition1.jpg

offroadchef

Adventurer
the 1st thing that came to me is.. will the fridge fit in the hatch area?

Otherwise It looks good, what kind of time frame are you looking at?

detailbarn

Adventurer
not sure on the fridge , have to see what the inside of the cab looks like. if there are reinforcements in the way i may have to adjust for it. As for time frame probally never at this point , this was a design i had prior to having my son. So that why I'm sharing it cause I doubt I'll get to build it , as of now I picked up a 2006 unlimited for all of us to fit , next is the trailer for the jeep.

toyrunner95

Explorer
i like it too, i wish i had an extended cab, hey do you guys think a 04 front clip and a quad cab would fit on an 84 bobbed frame without too much trouble?

BMAN

Adventurer
A standard cab frame with extra cab body, I'm assuming you would be bobbing both the front and rear of the bed? Why not 4 link the rear and go with coil overs back there while you're at it? Just a couple of thoughts.

86cj

Explorer
I have a 03' ext cab dakota that I spend allday everyday in at work. I work construction and wheel the snot out of the poor little Goodyear SRA tires everyday (I hate loader ruts). Unless your rider is a small person that sits straight up all the time, you won't fit much behind the pass seat. When drivers seat is adjusted comfortable for me a (short dude) room is scarce behind the seat. The 4 door cab would do nicley....

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
thats where I'm headed with my taco for next year. An extra cab on my reg cab chassis. depending on funds and time I may get a whole donor truck witht he v-6 and do the swap. This depends on several factors though the biggest is if I'm going to run a campa trailer or something else that is top secret that I'm working on :hehe: :exclaim:

The cab swap is the pain in the ass part for mee I hate body work but can do it. I am considering cutting at the apillar and sectioning in an extracab roof and rear wall. Then fill in the floor pan from there. This may actualy be the lesser of evils given the amount of wiring and stuff that has been added to my rig at this point. I do not know still doing more reserch.

Mumbaki1037

Observer
Your plans look great :clapsmile . I really like the door hatch idea for a fridge as I too have an extended cab. Just wondering, when cutting the sidewall of the extended cab does it affect the stability or rigidity of the whole cab. Has anyone ever done this?

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I think you can save money by starting with a 4 door. Use the extra 2nd row space for storage and no problem fitting the fridge. If you think the truck is too long for you, then "bob" the bed, but I think the longer wheelbase is better for overland travel anyways. Much easier to do it this way unless you are building a frankentruck from the junkyard.

And honestly, why the SAS? I think a homebuilt SAS will be less reliable than sticking with a more "stock" set up and some 33" tires. And the 4.7L V8 is already there, which is a good motor, but I think I saw something about a 5.7 Hemi on your drawing?

Sorry, not trying to be down on your idea, which is pretty cool. Just my .02. Closer to stock = more reliable = Expedition rig.

Although your truck, as drawn, would be cool:D

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice specification on the truck. The dodge is a good platform for NA, with lots of dealer support in MEX.

It will be fun to watch the project develop :)

it looks like a great start, i like how youre planning the setup with the sketches. is everything scaled out, more or less?

i have a similar "issue" as you with the approach and departure angles, a tundra is very similar in size (even similar shape and engine size) to a dakota...there are some really, really well built dakotas around here, they look like a great platform for an offroad/expedition build.

have you considered trimming off the rear quarterpanels to the frame, and protecting the quarters with a wraparound low-profile rear bumper? you might be able to save the forward bed length that way. moving the rear axle forward decreases the amount of "outside" heavy storage you have, since youll be closer to cantilevering fuel, water, and spare tire weights and potentially wind up with severe understeer and poor articulation in front (or a high cg from throwing everything on the roof). a long wheelbase can be a pain in tight turns, but at speed and over straight-line obstacles it's more stable than a short wheelbase...and you can carry more toys :D.

it ends up looking something like this, and then you have to decide what to do about the exhaust.

not trying to talk you out of bobbing the bed, but there might be other options that will work just as well and let you keep some cargo volume and capacity in the bed.

at 130" w.b. i havent had a problem yet...nor has another guy with a tundra who actually did bob his bed 14", kept the rear axle in the stock location, and moved the front axle forward a couple inches when he did his axle swap, and he runs pretty rough trails. his truck is pictured in this thread, with a d60 rear axle and 44/60 front, as you can see it's a monster on the trail but not much room for expedition stuff in the bed.

you honestly dont need 60s with 35s, not for expedition stuff...unless youre going larger than 35s in the future. 35" is a great diameter for trucks this size, since the breakover and access angles are poor compared to tacomas and other minis, and it's less work to fit the 35s under the truck and retain a low c.g. than it is to fit 37s or larger tires that can be run with a dana 60. 60s are also heavy and expensive, and with 35s you could get away fine with a 9/44 or pair of 44s with 60 steering components and axles. the result will be strong enough, and lighter and cheaper than a pair of 60s. look around, mix and match your parts...you may be able to find a hybrid solution that fits your needs better than a pair of straight 60s...609, 6044, any combination you can think of can be built these days, oftentimes lighter, stronger or cheaper than straight 60s (but you usually only get to pick one of those things, and sometimes two if you look really hard).

regardless, i cant wait to see the results. it's good to see another "full bodied" expedition truck planned out there :D...and i'm sure with the detail youre putting in that i'll be looking at some of your ideas for my own build :).

-sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears