My Wandering Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rot Box

Explorer
I’m treading new ground with this trip. Solo travel has never excited me. It is not that I am afraid to travel alone, quite the opposite really, it is because my best travels memories have been shared memories. It has been my travel companion’s reactions to a shared event that sticks with me for years to come. How we felt matters more to me than what we saw. From day one I have either traveled with family, Boy Scouts, high school German class, College, friends, or my wife. Now I am traveling alone.

I am not going out into the world to seek solitude; I am going out into the world to experience it.

I am glued to my screen after reading that :Wow1: Few... very few people know what it is like to experience this and you will appreciate every minute of it when you look back guaranteed! Be safe and keep that Cruiser full of oil--it will get you there--that's what they're built for :bike_rider: Best of luck and let me know if you head this way I'll gladly donate a 5 gallon bucket of 15w-40!

Andrew

RusM

Adventurer
You remind me of Chris Mcandless, (sp?) who is my hero, if a jaded grown man can have a hero.
Good luck to you.
But I imagine this will be the best thing you ever do. I envy your balls.

No, he does not. He is minimally prepared for his adventure. McCandless was not prepared at all. Quit making that goddamned idiot a hero!

After much thought and discussion JerryYukon and I have come up with a plan. Its not perfect, but it will get me to AZ without the worry of being stuck on the side of the road.

The most likely thing that is going to happen is we are going to use his front bumper hitch set up from his Jeep that he tows behind his 2500 HD. All that needs to be done is weld it up to my ARB. The crazy thing is that he was going to be traveling a similar path a few weeks later. His departure date has been moved up now. We both want to take our time and see Big Bend, White Sands, etc. If its taking too long I can just go from where ever I am at the time and head straight to AZ to make it there in time to have about two weeks before I need to be at Overland Expo. I volunteered my time to help set up so I need to be there by March 30th. The closer I get to AZ the better I will be should I need to start heading out on my own. I would rather break down in New Mexico where know I can get help instead of say Mississippi.

My plan is to head to Flagstaff first, then Prescott and a stop at Overland Journal, then head down to Phoenix before heading to Overland Expo. After OVX I will drive through Canyonlands and Southern Utah on my way to Montana.

Thanks for all the support and advice everyone.

Last edited:

DarinM

Explorer
If you end up coming through the Austin area, let me know and I'll do what I can to be useful or beneficial.
Safe travels.

RedDog

Explorer
Phil, scratch all plans for beer in Montana. I'm bringing Canadian Rye Whiskey. If we're to do it, we should do it right.

Best continued wishes on your wild and wacky tour of America. :victory:

Phil, scratch all plans for beer in Montana. I'm bringing Canadian Rye Whiskey. If we're to do it, we should do it right.

Best continued wishes on your wild and wacky tour of America. :victory:

I would say that is a good plan right there:victory:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I'm tempted to sign up for Overland Expo just so I can see all you awesome people in the real world! Glad to hear you've got a viable plan B... :smiley_drive:

njtaco

Explorer
So you are planning to have a tow bar installed and ready IN CASE the truck dies, NOT planning to tow it all the way, right?

Either way, you are going to get some ribbing from the Jeep and Rover guys :jump:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
So you are planning to have a tow bar installed and ready IN CASE the truck dies, NOT planning to tow it all the way, right?

Either way, you are going to get some ribbing from the Jeep and Rover guys :jump:

What are you talking about? 99% of land cruisers are still on the road.

(The other 1% actually got their owners home)

:elkgrin:

It looks like we are going to tow it to at least the Big Bend area. After giving it much thought we decided it is just the most logical plan. Oil funds are now a towing fund to get me as close to AZ as possible. Once to AZ things will be okay.

Klierslc

Explorer
If you have the time, I have a garage and all the tools you need if you want to tackle the valve guide seals. I am just over in Quantico--a short hop from Front Royal. I would also be willing to help when I am not working. I have an FSM for your rig and plenty of wrenching experience.

I have an airbed and plenty of chow as well....

Let me know if I can help.

Also, have you tried some of that engine restore stuff with the seal conditioner in it? I don't have a recommendation on brand, but some if it works ok from what I have heard....

Klierslc

Explorer
Also,

I am on my 3rd 80 series. I would be happy to go through your rig and tighten her up a little to make sure she doesn't give you any more problems. Give me a week and a little wrenching and we will have her purring like a kitten.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Also,

I am on my 3rd 80 series. I would be happy to go through your rig and tighten her up a little to make sure she doesn't give you any more problems. Give me a week and a little wrenching and we will have her purring like a kitten.

This is the best suggestion yet.

Rather than taking up a collection to pay for mosquito control of the whole country, this would be a much better long term solution...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/454664-low-mile-93-fzj80-drivetrain-drive-before-you-buy.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger