Mysterious Land Rover Key

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
In an ironic twist, I purchased a mint 1998 Land Rover Discovery I 50th Anniversary Edition years back. I sold it to a guy who purchased it for his daughter. When it arrived, he realized it was simply too nice for her to drive. He sold it to his Dad. His Dad was one of my sister's best friends. When he died, he left the truck to her.

In with the truck was a spare key that I cannot remember providing with the truck, nor do I recognize. It has the Land Rover logo on the largest portion.

I have no idea what to tell my sister that it goes to. She has now had the truck for two years and it just turned 90K miles. It is a great little truck and I will probably buy it back for my son (now 11) to have as his first truck (we'll see).

Can anyone help identify this key?

MysteriousKey.JPG

Thanks
D

Scarab

Some of the D1's came with a removable plastic cap over the wheel nuts.

They were in different designs some of which were little grub screw type things.
Could it be a tool for removing the cap on the locking wheel nut?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I am trying to get a closer image sent from here. She doesn't believe it will fit any of the lamp guard hex bolts. Remember, this is of 1998 Disco. It didn't have cross bars, so that isn't it.
Thought perhaps it was a release for the radio, but that doesn't seem to be the case either ...
D

Matt Neale

As above, it's a hex key for removing the lamp guards as fitted to a Discovery 2. I've got a couple of them kicking around as they are supplied with the lamp guards.

Kit contents for front lamp guard set - STC 53193 pictured below - the hex key is at the lower right.

-
stc53193kitcontents.jpg

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Ah, front light guards are on her truck. It is a DI, but I was focusing on the rear lamp guards. I'll have her check to see if this works on her front lamp guards ...
Thanks
D

Matt Neale

LR supply a hex key as the guards need to be removed to change a bulb etc. It'll only work if the guards are still fitted using allen head bolts...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan