N.A.R.V. - 2008 Chevy Express AWD Project

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
I'm planning on installing the Traxda key/block lift kit (dirt cheap on Amazon). I'm currently getting a lot of sway/sponge-ness in the van. There are some bargain basement C rated tires on it now. I'm hoping some E rated BFG ATs will tighten it up, but I too will likely be upgrading shocks all around.

Traxda 404045 Front and Rear Lift Kit

Current goal is to make it snowboarding road trip ready ASAP. Because the season is here!

Last edited:

rockbender

Adventurer
Looking good! Hopefully the carpet has good longevity - I really like the way it finishes out.

FYI, I recently swapped some crappy P tires for E rated Michelin's on our Express and it made a HUGE difference. That is the first step to getting rid of the sponge for sure.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I'm planning on installing the Traxda key/block lift kit (dirt cheap on Amazon). I'm currently getting a lot of sway/sponge-ness in the van. There are some bargain basement C rated tires on it now. I'm hoping some E rated BFG ATs will tighten it up, but I too will likely be upgrading shocks all around.

Traxda 404045 Front and Rear Lift Kit

Current goal is to make it snowboarding road trip ready ASAP. Because the season is here!

FYI I used a rough country kit I believe this one http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-283n2.html
$200 with shocks. The rear shocks do need an adapter to work correctly.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
When I cranked the adjustment bolts all the way up I ended up about 3" higher and mostly level.
I used cooper atp load range E tires 265/70/17 I think.

If I were to start fresh I would not use the rear shocks that came with the kit and instead use 3/4-1 ton Van bilstein shocks #24-025706 in the rear. I'll be switching over to those shortly. I think I may upgrade my rear spring pack to a 3/4T as well. It squats a bit too much for my liking with the hitch carrier on there.

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
Really like the interior mods. Any updates on the front bed section/table?

Not yet. Just haven't had the time. I've been getting plenty of use of it though this snowboard season.

Just last weekend, I was toying with building a removable camp kitchen. I spent a couple days drawing it up, inventorying my plywood, etc., when I walked into Home Depot and found this for $50. It fits absolutely perfectly under my bed platform and holds everything for my camp kitchen. It rolls in quick and easy and holds a ton of weight.
zo3GZdW.jpg

I can fit four of them total....I just can't come up with what to use the others for yet.

I'll likely be getting wheels/tires in the next couple of weeks. My wife's car is in need, and the current tires on the van are the size she needs and in good condition. Win-Win.

Last edited:

njtacoma

Explorer
I really like the rear platform you built.

Could you measure the distance from the back seat to the back doors with them closed?
It would be great to have the measurement from the top of the second bench seat, and at the floor level.

I have an unhealthy attraction to the really long 155 wb vans, but no AWD. But I think the 135 is too short for what we need with all our stuff and big kids (2 teenagers and 1 preteen), plus friends and/or parents.

I've looked at a few AWD vans online, but they haven't been close enough to go lay a tape on.

Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998