N.A.R.V. - 2008 Chevy Express AWD Project

straker101

Observer
Man, totally digging your van! What model Kenwood radio did you end up going with, how do you like it? I'll be installing my traxda lift next weekend, hope it goes smoothly. Also, the headlights are super rad, I can only find the round ones, can you include a link to all this stuff? Ill pay ya in girly giggles:hehe: (Radio, mount, harness kit, headlights)

Stereo:
Kenwood deck is the DDX793
Kenwood eXcelon Performance Series speakers all around and Kicker 10" CompRT sub (with Kenwood eXcelon amp).
Middle of the line system, but sounds really good. I've been happy with Kenwood in the past and don't like paying an extra $200 per component to have the name Alpine or Pioneer on them (as good as they are).
IMG_5604.jpg

I don't want to hijack the NARV thread so I'll post the rest of the stuff over on my 'Ruby' thread. Head over there to check it out...

Oregonic

Excellent work! I'm going be to use this as my guide for our own bunk.
Two questions...
1. Did you ever finish the front bunk panel? If so, pics?
2. Are your original side box support plans something I can download, or something you can email to me?
Again, thanks for posting, you given me a good starting point!

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
I did finish the front panel.

As I said earlier in the thread, the platform extension was built to be portable so that it could be left in my garage when not needed and/or used in other capacities, other than just a bed. I built it slighly smaller than the width of the other platforms pieces, so that it is easier to work with inside of the van (....and because it was the size of my leftover wood).

I do not normally keep in in the van, I just pack it when we need it. We've used the bed platform a few times over the past year or so, and it has worked flawlessly. When I do install it for a trip, I "lock" it (the extension) to the other platform pieces with a couple clamps. I probably should have thought that out more.

If it is my wife and I, we use the inflatable full matress that is kept in one of the built in's storage areas I built. If we are doing a guys snowboarding trip, we just set our camp pads on the platform with our cold weather bags.

6mLeZ0e.jpg

Travel mode with extra platform stowed

hJvx8Kk.jpg

The bottom of the platform extension. The legs are Ikea desk legs cut to the correct height.

7Pxh52P.jpg

Platform Extension in place, from the front

ZCoy9dq.jpg

and underneath. Here is where I would normally clamp if traveling with extension setup

S0De1gR.jpg

From the back

fGRu5w2.jpg

Bed storage - Fits bed, sheets, inflator, and window coverings

592l4jv.jpg

Bed inflation is easy with 12v plugs in the back

OR59FWb.jpg

Underneath in full comfort mode

YXeCYwX.jpg

From the front with matress

eOjIZ61.jpg

Platform Extension in table/bench mode. We actually use it like this quite a bit when camping.

I have more images of the platform and some measurements of the extension at http://imgur.com/a/Ux0zE

As for the plans....I originally drew it out it SketchUp, but I can't find the files. They wouldn't have been much use, as they were just conceptual.

I hope this helps.

shirk

I can't tell from the pictures but is there room to leave the 2nd row of seats in and have the bed behind them?

I have been thinking about an adventure van to build up for my growing little family and thinking of a Express/Savana AWD passenger van. We've got one toddler with another one on the way so we need to be able to properly secure two child seats.

My thought is to do a rear platform like you have and then just one row of seats. I can clip the seat into the 3rd row position if we need the interior space to hang out inside and get out of the weather. With the front seats swiveled this would be what I call the "living room set up". For regular driving the seat would be clipped into the 2nd row position. At night for camping either leave the seat clipped into the second row or slide it forward to the front to create space.

This hinges on the seats not being too hard to clip into the floor mounts.

Does that seem possible? I've not yet gone and found one of the vans locally to mess/look at the seat mounts.

I'd LOVE to see the north american manufactures move to a full set of rails in the floor to slide the seats anywhere the way that the euro vans are.

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
I can't tell from the pictures but is there room to leave the 2nd row of seats in and have the bed behind them?

I have been thinking about an adventure van to build up for my growing little family and thinking of a Express/Savana AWD passenger van. We've got one toddler with another one on the way so we need to be able to properly secure two child seats.

My thought is to do a rear platform like you have and then just one row of seats. I can clip the seat into the 3rd row position if we need the interior space to hang out inside and get out of the weather. With the front seats swiveled this would be what I call the "living room set up". For regular driving the seat would be clipped into the 2nd row position. At night for camping either leave the seat clipped into the second row or slide it forward to the front to create space.

Does that seem possible? I've not yet gone and found one of the vans locally to mess/look at the seat mounts.

I'd LOVE to see the north american manufactures move to a full set of rails in the floor to slide the seats anywhere the way that the euro vans are.
Easily possible. That is what we do when we want to sleep three. Two on the bed, one on the front bench.

The seat mounts in these vans are not the most user friendly, but they are tough. To get the bench moved forward/back, you need to have a little working space to stand without breaking your back....they are quite heavy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

shirk

Easily possible. That is what we do when we want to sleep three. Two on the bed, one on the front bench.

The seat mounts in these vans are not the most user friendly, but they are tough. To get the bench moved forward/back, you need to have a little working space to stand without breaking your back....they are quite heavy.

Good to know. The seat do clip in and out without tools?

How much space is there between the 2nd row and the front captains chairs? If the captains chairs were swiveled around and kids were sitting on the bench seat would you knock knees?

Would love to see some pics of the bed installed in yours with a 2nd row set in.

I really like the way you've done your rear platform. Finding your build have moved the Express/Savana into a distinct possibility for us.

Now the tough part to sell the spouse on the idea of a full size v8 van.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Bench seat is tool-less. Has a pin on each side that holds it. Full size van is awesome with kids. Nice to be inside strapping them into car seats vs reaching in when the weather is bad! I typically run mine with the second row out so there is lots of room to maneuver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shirk

Bench seat is tool-less. Has a pin on each side that holds it. Full size van is awesome with kids. Nice to be inside strapping them into car seats vs reaching in when the weather is bad! I typically run mine with the second row out so there is lots of room to maneuver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Chevy had just made these bench seats able to fold forward if would be much easier to do a "weekender" type set up the vans.

Oregonic

LYlqoY2Fo - Your interior work is top notch. I'll definitely use it as a blueprint. One thing I'll be doing differently is setting the bunk up at window level, so my little kiddos can bunk up underneath. I'll do some LED's and make it a fun little sleep cave.

Oregonic

I like the idea, but I'm not sure it'll work. I don't think the 2 benches are actually interchangeable. That is, you can't set the back row up for the afternoon to hang out in the van, then move it to the other bench position for bedtime. (but maybe that's not what you're saying...) I'm pretty sure the attachment points for the middle and rear rows are spaced differently, and can't be swapped back and forth. But please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that. I mean, you can run one, or the other, or both, but each bench's mount is specific to the two available spots. Which is dumb.

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
I like the idea, but I'm not sure it'll work. I don't think the 2 benches are actually interchangeable. That is, you can't set the back row up for the afternoon to hang out in the van, then move it to the other bench position for bedtime. (but maybe that's not what you're saying...) I'm pretty sure the attachment points for the middle and rear rows are spaced differently, and can't be swapped back and forth. But please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that. I mean, you can run one, or the other, or both, but each bench's mount is specific to the two available spots. Which is dumb.
My two benchs are completely interchangeable.

jdharrin

Observer
That's surprising, the 2 benches in my 2007 are NOT interchangeable, the spacing on the mounts is different. That said, I have switched the mounts from seat to seat for my setup but that is not something I would tackle while on the road.

Regarding folding, there was a guy who posted how he modded the factory bench so that it would fold, someone with better search skills than me would need to dig it up though.

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
LYlqoY2Fo - Your interior work is top notch. I'll definitely use it as a blueprint. One thing I'll be doing differently is setting the bunk up at window level, so my little kiddos can bunk up underneath. I'll do some LED's and make it a fun little sleep cave.
I've actually considered putting another "ridge" in near the top so I can do the same, and use it low or high. If I did, there would be a portion of the platform that would not be supported on the left side, due to the slope on that built in. Also it would hit my 12v outlets...so those would have to move.

If I ever redo everything, there are definitely some things i would do differently. For instance, i would edge the bed platform with u-channel for strength rather than how i did. It would be lighter and give me a few more inches of storage height.

More than likely, NARV will be up for sale before too long. I love it, but I just don't get to use it as intended as much as I would like to....and as an everyday driver, it is a little large. We'll see...I have my eye on another AWD project vehicle too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78