Nalgene, still the best...

chet

island Explorer
I found my SS water bottle is noisy. Bouncing around in the truck (no cup holders!) its a pain. the Nalgenes are quiet. Plus I can tell how much I have left without taking the top off. I get the SS ones at cost and still don't use them much.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i kinda liked the SIGG bottle for a while, but i saw the downside with them being lined, and then getting dented.

i preferred the kleens unlined SS, they can take a beating just fine, but never bought any.

my answer has been to limit my exposure by doing things like never heating food in plastic, esp. the micro. i dont make "ziplock food" and other various things that i think are easy to avoid. in doing so i feel just fine about the trace chemicals i may be getting from something like nalgene, IMOP if i can largely eliminate my exposure to many things the couple i willingly subject myself to will keep me well below the"average" consumer.

this has been my motto for almost everything in life, control the things i can so the things i cant dont affect me so much.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
What's the best use for retired Nalgene bottles?

They're water tight and unbreakable so kayakers use them to store first-aid kits, spares, etc.

I've been thinking about strapping one to my moto to store tools.

I wonder if they'd make great party lights when strung together?

Cheers,
Graham

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I like that idea! Aged PE has slightly yellow tint to it. Could make for some mellow mood lighting. Bury some of these new LED's inside to kill their harshness. Or place them up from the bottom of some of those solar yard lights (under so the PV isn't shaded) for subdued camp walkway lighting.

Though not ideal, PE is a reasonable bushing material. In a pinch one would work, cut up and wound up, as a shackle bushing. Or thrust washer, body mount, etc.

A friend of mine uses his second bottle cage on his mtb for tools stuck inside a PE water bottle. Other than being slightly noisy it works well.

smokymt

Observer
I actually work with plastics on a daily basis. Although I am not a plastics expert, I have learned a lot over the years, and I actually think the BPA controversy is quite amusing. BPA has been used in polycarbonates for years, and there has also been a debate over it for many years. The funny part is how quickly rumors can spread and the public freaks out after airing the story on the Today Show.

All plastics have their pros and cons, but I like to try to maintain some general rules for use as often as possible. For example, I try not to expose any plastics to excessive heat on a regular basis, such as a dishwasher or boiling water. I also try to replace after a few years of abuse.

Nalgene still sticks to the idea that their bottles with BPA are not harmful. however they have started producing an alternative due to the freak out. They are now providing helpful info on their website about BPA including some FAQ's. I found it interesting reading so I thought I would share.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/

ignorant

Observer
I have poly carb ones and the milk jug looking material ones. I like the milk jug ones and they don't have the BPA or something... So.. I use those.

Wife is preggy so she is paranoid.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
ignorant said:
I have poly carb ones and the milk jug looking material ones. I like the milk jug ones and they don't have the BPA or something... So.. I use those.

Wife is preggy so she is paranoid.

LOL X2 I just bought her 4 sigg bottles.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Nalgene vs Alu bottle

Lean toward Nalgene myself, but one nice thing about alu bottles is that you can fill them, leave the top off and tuck them into the edge of the campfire. When you're ready for bed put the top on and toss the puppy into the bottom of the sleeping bag. Keeps the tootsies nice and toasty. :jump:

Jim

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Guyout designs water bottle

I got a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack for Christmas, and would like to try this water bottle as a replacement for my old Rubbermaid flip top water bottle.I have seen this Guyout Designs stainless steel water bottle sold as a "Nalgene" bottle by some stores. To add to the discussion of plastic vs stainless steel I would like to refer you to the following video. It shows how a stainless water bottle can be used as an integral part of a survival kit, in this case the main components are the GD water bottle, GSI cup and Maxpedition bottle carrier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaQY...ore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=574

Cheers
Mark

Honestly I prefer the SIGG because of the narrower opening. Although, I don't like the standard cap .....

thumb_7815.12.JPG

....and would like to get one of the military style caps like this:

8188_00.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Backwoods Rambler said:
Honestly I prefer the SIGG because of the narrower opening. Although, I don't like the standard cap .....

Most of my Nalgenes are the narrow mouth ones, drinking from the wide mouth ones can be frustrating, especially when driving. I have never bought a SIGG bottle, the lids are frustrating because I find them so easy to cross thread and then when you do get it on straight it takes so many spins to get it tight.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
My numerous and entirely negative observations about SIGG bottles:

They dent really easily, reducing the capacity.

The stopper isn't attached to the bottle. If you tie a cord around the neck of the bottle that's tight enough to keep it in place, it twists up when you screw in the stopper.

If the stopper is screwed in really tight it requires a lever to unscrew it.

The seal on the stopper falls off easily.

The thread is on the inside of the neck so as the water starts to freeze small bits of ice get stuck in the thread and can easily give the impression that the stopper is tight against the seal when its not.

When the water in the bottle starts to freeze, the bottle splits down the side.

The only advantage that SIGG bottles used to have is they hide the color of water thats been treated with iodine but now Nalgene bottles come in iodine yellow and various other colors. They're also comparatively indestructible and much less likely to leak.

Just my two centimes, of course.

Cheers,
Graham

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Been using Nalgenes for a good dozen years. No reason to stop now. Besides those Siggs are pricey. If I was going to replace my Nalgenes, I would get more Nalgenes and save a lot of money.

paulj

Expedition Leader
While I still use several Nalgenes often I prefer to use 'disposable' ones. For example I get 25oz bottles of drinking water ($0.29 at Trader Joes), and refill them a number of times before tossing. The push/pull top is much easier to use single-handed when driving and even when hiking. They are also more flexible than bike water bottles, and hence easier to drink from. Also this size fits in cup holders in the car.

For spares when camping I take a number of 50oz bottles. It is easier to pack those than 3 gallon jugs.

Someone on this forum also turned me on to rectangular half gallon juice bottles. I freeze several and use them in the cooler, where they pack efficiently. When they thaw I have a bunch more bottles to use around camp (or toss if I have too many).

I still have an old poly Nalgene bottle, but that is reserved for answering the call of nature. The unique cap means I'm not likely to mistake it for other uses.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
paulj said:
While I still use several Nalgenes often I prefer to use 'disposable' ones. For example I get 25oz bottles of drinking water ($0.29 at Trader Joes), and refill them a number of times before tossing. The push/pull top is much easier to use single-handed when driving and even when hiking. They are also more flexible than bike water bottles, and hence easier to drink from. Also this size fits in cup holders in the car.

For spares when camping I take a number of 50oz bottles. It is easier to pack those than 3 gallon jugs.

Someone on this forum also turned me on to rectangular half gallon juice bottles. I freeze several and use them in the cooler, where they pack efficiently. When they thaw I have a bunch more bottles to use around camp (or toss if I have too many).

I still have an old poly Nalgene bottle, but that is reserved for answering the call of nature. The unique cap means I'm not likely to mistake it for other uses.

Isn’t part the point of going with Nalgenes or Aluminum bottles to cut down on all the waste of using the disposables? Personally I can’t for the most part in good conscience use disposable bottles anymore. I go with both the Nalgenes and the KleenKanteens. Like them both.

Here are some good links to why I try not to use the single serve bottles if I can avoid it.

http://www.whoi.edu/science/B/people/kamaral/plasticsarticle.html

http://www.consrv.ca.gov/index/news/2003 News Releases/Pages/NR2003-13_Water_Bottle_Crisis.aspx

http://lighterfootstep.com/2008/05/five-reasons-not-to-drink-bottled-water/

This is not to say that I am not a total hypocrite myself.

In my house we do buy and keep a number of single sized bottles in our Emergency stash and rotate them out to keep them fresh. We decided that having a few cases of water bottles in our Earthquake kit was that way to go because they can be given out to others easily if needed and you can pack them loose around other stuff if you are on the go.

I personally like the big Aquafina water bottles for “the call of nature” because they have a wide mouth. So I usually have at least on of those on trips. Mostly I use them at BurningMan.

There is also the Platypus bottles, and I have been using them for years. I love the Platypus water bottles because they are easy to carry and you can fold them up when empty. You can also suck the air out and make them smaller as you empty them. They used to have a lifetime guarantee. Plus - Platypus hydration products are 100% BPA-free -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998