narrowed down to 3 tires

LUISJG

Explorer
hello.
im looking into tires FOR MY 2014 JKU R,bright white, I have narrowed down to

285 70 17 duratrac
cooper st maxx
bfg at ko

wonder wish one of this at tires is the skinnier, since the number on the manufacturer pages is always non reliable.

also,, anyone know whats the deal with the loading class,,, duratrac has diferent tires in same size diferent load.

the bfg has 2 same size one 10 ply the other 8 ply.

also trying to stay as flush to the fender flares as possible., this will require , what ? 5.5 backspace

I Think im going with either aev pintler black or savegre black

comments welcome,,........... thanks

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I won't comment on the different brands.
But the AEV wheels have 4.75-5.2" backspacing (depending on how they're measured) and will be a great fit at 8.5" wide. Good clearance on both sides and keep the tires in the fenders pretty well.
D rated tires are more than heavy enough on a JK, I would go for the lower load rating if possible rather than E rated.

rodi

Observer
Duratrac. I love mine and will buy another after these. They're lightweight and they have never failed me, on ice, a little snow and on the trail. Most tires do well on slickrock, but these did exceptionally well for me - no chirping or slipping, just drives right up and over.

nickmimi

Adventurer
I like the Duratracs as well. Have not used the others, so cant comment on them. Never a problem with mine, so far. Just ordered another set for my wife's JKU.

sassy gopher

Not sure what BFg changed in their compound but the at's you get anymore get really slick after 10-15k the old ones gripped good till they were almost bald. I have never run either of the other two choices. I run 285/70/17 pro imp extreme at's and love them they are a little more agrees dive than your average at balance really well and wear great. The have held up in the rocks very well too.

Krytos

Adventurer
Guy in our club swears by his Duratracs. He's a stickler for NVH coming from the car as well as ride quality, and he loves the tires. They are very light but probably because they run a bit small.

I ran BFG A/Ts for a while and really liked them, they're great tires but have that on road bias, I sold them when I went to Goodyear MT/Rs. The Cruiser guy in our club clued me in that you can get deeper treads if you order the snow versions. He's had his for a while, they wear nicely. I've seen people have problems with the weak sidewall on the BFG KM/2s, but haven't seen the same with the A/Ts. YMMV.

Good luck.

skates04

Adventurer
I haven't tried the other tires, but ran the ST MAXX on my Liberty, very happy with them, wear well, good on snow and ice, quiet on the road, great off road... Im running Good Year MTRs on my JK now but will probably go back to the Coopers when its time for new rubber.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I ran st maxx on my unlimited for 80k. They were wore choppy then because I missed a couple of rotations. They were very heavy and stiff. Grip was amazing in all conditions and they wear great. I'm trying km2 this season. Just because I have read some many great reviews . I'm going to run quadratec wheels in either gunmetal or machined and have the insides powder coated black. The more I look around the more I like the stock moab wheel. The only other wheel would be a pintler. But I can get 2 quadratec wheels for one pintler.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

LUISJG

Explorer
I ran st maxx on my unlimited for 80k. They were wore choppy then because I missed a couple of rotations. They were very heavy and stiff. Grip was amazing in all conditions and they wear great. I'm trying km2 this season. Just because I have read some many great reviews . I'm going to run quadratec wheels in either gunmetal or machined and have the insides powder coated black. The more I look around the more I like the stock moab wheel. The only other wheel would be a pintler. But I can get 2 quadratec wheels for one pintler.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

THANKS FOR THE RELPLIES,,
I could decide so went half way to 285 75 17 km2.
33.6 x 11 ishh

someday

Adventurer
About these three tires, I have BFG AT Ko's on my truck now. I have 40,000 miles on them with 4/32 left in the tread. I have driven them in ALL kinds of conditions. Across country (pulling my tear drop), several high clearance passes through Colorado, slick mud, hard packed snow, fresh 6-8" snow and most often, pulling a M101 loaded with firewood (3000+ Lbs) on very rough dirt roads (4x4 not needed, but you wouldn’t drive your car down kind-of-roads). I am impressed with how durable the BFG's are. I have not had a single flat as of YET (knock on wood). But as far as traction goes, VERY disappointed. Two or three inches of slick mud, add a slight gradient, maybe throw in my short bed full of firewood aaaaaaaand, Im stuck. I would say slick mud (not necessarily deep) are these tires achilles heal.

I have still been researching tires for about a month now. I have literally read tons of Jeep forums, f-150 forums, Diesel forums, various Off-road forums, more Jeep forums and I have literally read TWO complaints about the ST Maxx. TWO! And that is covering A LOT of posts dating back to 2012. One of the complaints was a guy complained about soft or spongy side walls on a diesel forum and I forget the other one. Other than that, people LOVE these tires!

Another thing I have noticed was, a lot of people were on the fence between St Maxx and Duratracs. I have never owned duratracs, but time and time again I read about side wall punctures. Not a lot, but consistently enough that there is usually one person that CLAIMS to have personal experience with puncturing a side wall.

By summer St Maxx will be on my truck!

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
THANKS FOR THE RELPLIES,,
I could decide so went half way to 285 75 17 km2.
33.6 x 11 ishh

hmmm I might go that size too. They ride good?
I have exactly those tires on my JKUR (on stock rims) since November, so far about 5,000 miles. They look great and drive well, but for my taste they are a tad too wide and feel heavy. If I could do it again, I would probably go again with the slightly smaller and narrower 255-80-17 km2 that I had on my previous JKUR.

Neuner

Observer
I don't think you could go wrong with any of those picks. I've read way too many reviews as well from all over and at one time I've considered each one. Interesting choice. I narrowed mine down to the KM2 as well for when the time comes. Currently still running KMs on my CJ. I really like them and they still hold air nicely even after their old age and the PO gashed the treads and sidewalls. From the changes I read they made with the KM2, it will be an even better tire.

I did have some apprehension with my BFG ATs I had on my XJ. They have collapsible sidewalls and turn the tread into more of a tank tread when aired down which gave great offroad performance. Problem was that they appeared to wear fast and I didn't have as good of gas mileage with them as others. One of the reasons I was leaning towards Cooper and Duratrax at one point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears