NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
Are they putting an Disco 4 Compressor in it or just rebuilding it?

Jerry-
Neither. My mechanic prefers the Hitachi over the AMK, but I decided to go ahead and switch to coils and drop the EAS all together. I think if I were in the U.S. and could rebuild the compressor myself the jump would have been less compelling but out here where its our only vehicle I don't really want to deal with all the sympathetic failures-i.e. a brake light goes out, or a brake switch goes out, and next thing you know the thing drops to the bump stops. Certainly not the end of the world and easy enough to troubleshoot but not something I feel like dealing with in 120 degree heat. I barely use my air suspension's features anyway so I went ahead and ordered the AB conversion kit (the HD/OME version) and then shipped it to myself. The second pic is the boxes. We shall see how this all turns out.
r-
Ray

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Will post up reflections and more discussion when I get her back!

I predict you will LOVE it in sand, and be a little less pleased with springs nearly everywhere else.

Being able to go over 30 mph and lifted is terrific, but the loss of articulation and ride comfort is quite noticeable

jhawk

Adventurer
I've been running the 2in coil set-up for going on a year. I wheel mine pretty hard and have yet to be in a situation where the lack of the air suspension caused me issues.

Jim

Ray_G

Explorer
I predict you will LOVE it in sand, and be a little less pleased with springs nearly everywhere else.

Being able to go over 30 mph and lifted is terrific, but the loss of articulation and ride comfort is quite noticeable

I'll be most interested in the degradation of ride quality, admittedly this truck doesn't see too much wheeling so the potential loss of articulation isn't too big a concern right now-for the foreseeable future if I want to wheel I'll just use the D1.

A.J.M

Explorer
How are you getting on with the seat covers?
Are they just front seats or do you get back ones as well?

Look very smart and may be getting added to the list of things to do to mine.

I do owe you a beer or 5 for the tool kit idea. It's very comprehensive and i think it would be a good thing for my own car.

Ray_G

Explorer
How are you getting on with the seat covers?
Are they just front seats or do you get back ones as well?

Look very smart and may be getting added to the list of things to do to mine.

I do owe you a beer or 5 for the tool kit idea. It's very comprehensive and i think it would be a good thing for my own car.

Seat covers are fantastic and the wife now wants them for the D1. Admittedly I went in half-way and only got the fronts, in retrospect I should have just ordered the full set and the rears are on my list of things to do in the near term-its worth getting all of them in my opinion, I'm quite happy with the end result.

Beers are always good, glad it helped provide some ideas. In the near term I want to figure out a better system of securing it back there while still retaining at least one of the two rearmost seats. Am thinking my newly acquired recovery pelican and the tools will nest in some kind of low profile frame on the back right half of the rear cargo area. Still mulling all that over at the moment.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
So I got the truck back right before Eid started, but with other stuff on the agenda hadn't had too much chance to try it out. I doubt I'll really give her much intended use till the weather cools a bit, so a few months, but the initial impression is positive.

-The ride is not as 'soft' as with the EAS that's for sure, you can feel the road's imperfections and such a bit more. Its not a drastic change mind you, just noticeable.
-I would also say that because it is a bit stiffer it also feels tighter on the curves and such, I always felt like the truck would wallow just a bit given how heavy she was but with it stiffened up like this that no longer seems to be the case.

Install appears very clean (not that I did any work, but the mechanic was impressed with the whole setup).
What is unresolved is the ECU flash unit doesn't appear to have worked its magic but that could be error on my part-i.e. the suspension fault light is still on (I am not going to hardwire till I get back to CONUS and can do my own work and have alt vehicles) but so is the scrolling error messages associated with the suspension rising slowly and such that the flash was supposed to remove. Ironic since it is also yelling at me that the truck is in extended mode. I am going to play around with it and have an email into AB about the matter, but I could be off base since all the terrain response and such still functions. I also have a set of rods coming from L8 if but for no other reason than to stop one of the scrolling messages.

I love the stance.
IMG_0819.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg

jhawk

Adventurer
I had the same issue. Hard wiring the module in fixed the warning light and beep. I do still get a warning message every minute or so not to exceed 30 mph.

Jim

Ray_G

Explorer
I had the same issue. Hard wiring the module in fixed the warning light and beep. I do still get a warning message every minute or so not to exceed 30 mph.

Jim

Jim-
Thanks for the feedback so I'll know 'what right looks like' when I hardwire-that may come this fall when temps drop and working on the truck is more tolerable/surviveable. Will be interested to see if installing the rods mitigates the extended mode warning. All told I'm still pretty pleased with knowing there is zero chance of sitting on my bumpstops.
r-
Ray

DividingCreek

Explorer
Cool thread Ray.
When you said you were pretty much done with the build on this truck a couple weeks ago I came looking for the thread. So the gorgeous pool in the one picture after a day of sandstorm pictures begs the question, how do they keep the pool clean ? Congrats on turning 40, thought with your rank you were older :).
Find me any 110's to ship back yet ?
Cheers,
Doug

Ray_G

Explorer
Cool thread Ray.
When you said you were pretty much done with the build on this truck a couple weeks ago I came looking for the thread. So the gorgeous pool in the one picture after a day of sandstorm pictures begs the question, how do they keep the pool clean ? Congrats on turning 40, thought with your rank you were older :).
Find me any 110's to ship back yet ?
Cheers,
Doug

Doug-
Ha, thanks on the age thing-believe me when the Marines are thrashing me I feel every day of 40 and then some, but yeah, I'm doing alright for my age I guess!
In terms of the sand and such, everything here is kept clean through one simple reality: cheap labor + lots of $$$.

In terms of 110's, I keep my eyes peeled but most of them are either brand new late 201X's or mid 90's. Not sure if you saw these the other day over on the Defender source but after I grabbed the LR3 from my mechanic (our mutual acquaintance who spent time here and gave you some business recommended him to me and it's been a great benefit since I have very limited capacity to do too much in my parking garage). You'll note others over on D90 were wondering if you'd be able to fit in the cab of the race truck...
IMG_0810.JPGIMG_0811.JPGIMG_0809.jpg
What I found interesting was the tire cover on this D1 (it appears to truly be an NAS 98 based off the badging, bumper, etc. Aside from the weird ladder, it has a high SD rack, limb risers (those are a bit in excess of needs here) and a OEM winch basket)
IMG_0821.JPG
In terms of the Defenders though, these are around (and not too expensive). Sadly this one was a 96
IMG_0813.jpg

r-
Ray

DividingCreek

Explorer
Because of the super low cost of fuel there to the shipping line, its about the same price to ship something from Jebel Ali to Baltimore as it is from the UK. So keep your eyes open.

Ray_G

Explorer
For what it's worth I still have the lift rods on the truck from before the coils.

Jim

So I put on the L8 provided 'proud Rhino' rods this weekend...so far the truck is no longer bitching about being in extended mode so that's a plus. It now lets me see the outside temp of 113, so that's a minus. All told I think everything is functioning as intended until I can hardwire in the black box. Driving the truck a great deal leads to the impression that ride comfort has decreased a little but responsivness appears to be better-i.e. the relationship of the stiffer springs compared to the air bags makes the truck feel tighter, it also corresponds to feeling a lot more of the road.

Then again after 2500mi in a lifted D1 a few weeks ago...the D3 still feels like I'm riding on a cloud.

Small projects re-starting this weekend, and then longer term...perhaps commissioning a spare tire carrier.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior