NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
Audio system update?

Sorta, well yes. Adding a Kenwood KOS V1000 to the mix, which will in turn allow for the integration of a K702 touchscreen monitor (i.e. a screen where nav would be if I didn't have an SE w/o it); GPS nav (& potentially XM too), a backup camera, blue tooth, ipod, etc. Still sorting out exactly how I plan to do it-it has been done by other LR3 owners before to augment the HK system that didn't have the factory ICE add ons (i.e. I have the nice system but no BT, no ipod, no Nav, no XM, no backup camera capability).

So what it will mean is that I pull the driver's seat out (I think) to install the massive box under there and do A LOT of wiring to get it all integrated in some form/fashion. Good times. Figure that will be a good time to also do the VHF install since the center console will be apart, again, for that. At least this time I'm not going up and down 22 floors between my apartment and the truck!
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic; consolidated (pt 1)

As a companion to the various updates in the Mantec overhead storage thread (MANTEC thread & with full credit to Markq for pointing out the Blue Ridge Overland Gear Land Cruiser Attic's compatability with the LR3 & LR4 platform, I figured I'd provide a consolidated documentation of my modifications to get some overhead storage into the truck.

The why:
IMG_2114.jpg
The idea of having an attic to put soft/lightweight items into the truck without them getting squashed by larger, heavier items has tremendous merit. MANTEC's hard solution looks fantastic and as the thread notes, would work esp well integrating in with one of their cargo barrier/dog guards-esp if someone was dedicating their platform for traveling and such. For me the cost of procuring and shipping, plus the reality that my truck is a DD and I want to be able to easily use all three rows of seating made the BROG an attractive option. The lower cost, and my affinity for the company (made in my home state, good people, easy to work with, and VERY high quality for the price point), made picking up one of these a quick purchase after seeing it in Harbinger's truck: BROG LC Attic

My major change to the device involved making a set of aluminum runners to attach the attic to that would let it sit solely in the 3rd row area. Time intensive but not terribly difficult with a range of power tools (dremel, drill press, belt sander, angle grinder w/flap wheel, riveter, jig saw w/metal blade, vise (for bending)). The runners are approx 22" long and use a seperate piece to serve as the interface with the rear grab handle. For those that don't have a 7 seater, I am working with my buddy who has a 5 seater to see if the hardware is in place under the headliner in the aft portion of the truck to screw into-standby for updates there!. A quick, crude, sketch of the runner showing basic dimensions when taken from a 2" wide by 1/8" thick piece of aluminum:
Runner dimensions.jpg
Fabrication of the portion that goes under the grab handle; approx 8" long and then some asymmetric holes for the grab handle:
2016-11-15 15.35.52.jpg
2016-11-16 16.57.44.jpg
The beta version of the runner used bolt plates to provide slots at the end, also note the cut out for the cargo light:
2016-11-16 18.00.31.jpg
I decided to rivet the two pieces together, in post prototype production units more rivets (better spaced) were used but even this should be strong enough.
IMG_2097.jpg
A lot of test fitting to keep things tight, time intensive but not difficult.
IMG_2096.jpg
In place in the the vehicle, I use slightly longer pan head screws to ensure good attachment for the grab handle going into the roof-my assumption is MANTEC does the same with their product.
IMG_2099.jpg
Attic now installed for test use during thanksgiving road trip.
IMG_2106.jpg
Cont'd in next post....

Ray_G

Explorer
Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic; consolidated (pt 2)

The beta testing illustrating that the idea could work, and work well, but I was not satisfied with how crude some elements were. The crux of my concern was being able to quickly detach the attic if, for some reason, I didn't want it in place. Because of the space's dimensions and the desire to keep the attic as tight up to the roof as possible I went through several iterations of attachment before settling with a semi-permenant mounting.

Using fastex buckles, with the female end bolted to the runners, was good for QD purposes but ended up leaving too much slack in the attic for my tastes.
IMG_2148.jpg
IMG_2149.jpg
IMG_2167.jpg
In the end I took advantage of having a grommet kit on hand and placed some in the strapping near the attic proper, and then bolting that directly to the runner, here's a test fit where there is still a fastex buckle:
IMG_2183.jpg
At this point I, perhaps rashly, decided that was the ticket and put grommets in all four corners and then removed excess strapping:
IMG_2185.jpg
**For those either getting a set of runners from me using all these lessons learned, or those crafting their own I suggest not cutting all the strapping but rather slot your runners and then use the BROG hardware, which has an end piece that allows you to feed the strap through the runner and then double it back on either the strap or the attic's edge webbing to allow a tight cinching up close to the runner (and thus the roof) but also a quick-ish detach capability that doesn't involve removing 1/4" grade 8 hardware. I don't have pics of the BROG hardware on hand, but it will make sense when you have it in hand and see it all work together. You will likely still end up cutting off a significant amount of excess strapping

One other modification I think most will do is adding a 2nd cord lock to the attic. BROG uses 550 cord under the attic mesh like a hammock of sorts, you can adjust the tension on the attic with the cordage, but having only one cord lock means adjusting it like a shoe lace if you start on the opposite end and work towards the lock. Having two locks, a simple cut & seal of the 550 cord and then feeding through the lock, gives you the ability to adjust on either end.
IMG_2124.jpg
Since wrapping up my install I put together some sets for fellow board members, using some of the lesson's learned I decided to just slot directly into the runner-and provided a 1/4 hole in case more permenant fastening would be desired. Construction isn't too difficult but is time consuming, contact me if you are interested in a set and we can work something out. As noted previously I'm also starting a set for a non 7 seater to try in the Twin Mountain LR3 so there is the potential for direct install into a truck w/o grab handles in the 3rd row in the future too.
image2(2).JPGimage1(1).JPG
The final look, tight up in the recess of the stepped roof area holding several jackets, a poncho liner, and a towel with room to spare for more soft goods if need be. I've seen no issues with it since final install.
IMG_2186.jpg

Last edited:

jerdog53

Explorer
I had a friend make an attic for mine that attaches to the 4 grab handles in the back. Its made of canvas, 1" nylon straps and Fastec buckles.

morrisdl

Adventurer
The Kenwood system is still a good upgrade. I have had it since 2008 and still works flawless. I would have swapped it out for a tablet, but haven't figured out how to recreate the awesome relay switch feature. The K1000 has 4 relays.

4rOpoky7iYlyPPVuOwsC0YkoB7sDpjO3IQaz9Giz_Asx5aQSbHFRQB3isk6MMDHrMuIpcESw7c3m-4V8Dohennh9SODlfx3Ax0orrUw2qy_pcnAKWWA-Px_9RxtWJeTfPaRemJu5UbmFILLY3YiVO0FNcTCieehjHMz9W9judTnLSMyRLiaCNzz7Y_u_hchg7nJMeZc09bmC8VQbS26lNBlxrP3Fomn6I5xZFyuW8GrA3q2Ecvh_scv5FvVSnVSSef5d_3mPjSSmvgXUMumwxS94BaIfFOTo4M8UtDN8nktGeEESV7cJGjjvlAB50QSPg-1jirQcTpPSi2HiJpaX__xgwnh4Thy6DXKA6sqEjdfpWCgMGGwG4oQE2qq3gcGm_xBXYsPnLH86gq627oc5CLjz-CmgfX90--k9QhdXewgc03atRl2V38WzvYUjJVGpcTLxnBrLBTcrmYygGWmvGnIcj5E81-Z6Jtxn0_kPRUek-xXmtpm8mmtw-lu_k86lR3M0N3b1c9dHZFy4LIUvCTHAO_yWgLAikE9Doqqije4HF4Z9FAYlNJeyK0dzHrRzzqjlcVrFgXaRLDhsu56hN_zD5SBjcRpMuv4daAGWAPGCYJmKGQ=w1059-h794-no-tmp.jpg

Good luck with the install. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ray_G

Explorer
The Kenwood system is still a good upgrade. I have had it since 2008 and still works flawless. I would have swapped it out for a tablet, but haven't figured out how to recreate the awesome relay switch feature. The K1000 has 4 relays.

Good luck with the install. Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh wow...I'm going to be sending you a pm shortly, I have a few questions and it is great to know a board member did this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
Nakatenga D3/D4 window vents/Series-Defender Outfitters shout out (US based vendor)

I have long having eyed the fantastic vents that Nakatenga makes, as seen on previous threads here on ExpO. I don't particularly need them for my truck but I wanted to grab a set as an Xmas gift for my partner in crime up at Twin Mountain who has both pups and will sometimes sleep in his red LR3 Clifford (*I hope he doesn't break his internet hiatus and start lurking on ExpO, otherwise surprise is lost).

Then I was sitting at the Northern Virginia rover owner's happy hour (every 3rd Thurs of the month at Kilroy's in Springfield, event posting is over on Defendersource) with the usual collection of vagabonds and I found out that Series-Defender Outfitters has more than just the Defender line of Nakatenga stuff; he also carries the vents. (SDO D3/D4 window vents) Since he's a local, a fellow enthusiast, and a friend that made the opportunity to buy some that much easier and at our next opportunity to drink beer & talk rovers I brought cash, SDO handed a set over.

I had to examine them of course.
IMG_2240.jpg
As others have noted, high quality piece of kit there. Makes me almost wish I had dogs, or slept in my truck!
IMG_2241.jpg
They look fantastic on the truck too! (Then I begrudgingly packed them back up since you can't play with other people's gifts, it is unseemly)

Figured I'd show them off here and highlight a fellow enthusiast (no affiliation, no incentive on my part) who is a vendor. If anyone is looking for a stocking stuffer for themselves...

r-
Ray

ColoDisco

Explorer
I have been thinking of having a set just for luxury of venting in the summer as the one sunroof really doesn't vent off enough heat. Will have to make this a Christmas present to myself. Thanks for the link!

morrisdl

Adventurer
Nice, especially if you need security. I just took Home depot screen door material, magnet strip, and hot glue:

Py2Owulva61X1pbxBhfwdWzOmsdIX6Uw03jdqriKqw4E466uTlsyzX4rfO-v_jSM7V3BeNLNP9Wj0wWJkahisuSX1TBWD4rKud1XlhC62vjJeWtwAFyADezrhLQ-ynzywa-dKiolwAktKPmQBQ5e5lDGjQj7psHO2gHL3f64kxFkaITpsnoL2DQRD8VNV8rzNcmB8bTS_FnPxkmwkBsLJgayz_pxbs1ZC0tsGs8QoK5n2F34xnjrknYV3M2481YvHP3Gg_tnCiAJy54yG13xtXfIf5P6P06tdTedaixTWspb9XGfTf5Xppj5O0BVj8Wx29ri4_nDt_vvMTjIZRYRBYtcnmKMgzNYMlMrkLkitYKEv0NmgkNSFnyHQIyZN5zvIj_F_fccPFiiCKhAvDiAsmA_nA8A4FpPQpJxV2233-eKa02wI7K8chTgb-k6o65ctSEucibPz7jmO51apo4gfXc8EIy-W3dcYFP1iZ0gJy8o_WJdOY3Hq6DH9GBSlO1zruPuXGQyhvXjjxbz-BKkF31T-YId8oHX6PUW0liZCWTi2IMsNUmKMVoyOjLUFxuzBAh1lSaTAE4JyRzGG--tk3vKrP8QDmhHW9tgREWT10n12jOeT5CrbToFuvp_BubhEdJZeEaKGyC4wIjhr8RyDZhgCLPnmazM2AJYDi4u750=w1059-h794-no-tmp.jpg

Less than an hour crafting.

Ray_G

Explorer
I like that you can still move the windows up and down with them. I'm always cautious on these random ebay items, but I will probably take the plunge here soon and see how they turn out.

I half wonder if what you posted that is in the US and what I found in the UK comes from the same supplier (likely China). I'm skeptical on a lot of fleabay too but admittedly I've had damn good luck when it comes to a lot of the LR3/D3 stuff I've gotten, esp the stuff from the UK market.

I too will be pulling the trigger on the screens but it isn't an imperative at the moment given winter is upon us here-but before the heat comes back, they will get put in to offset my ghetto fabulous UAE pop in sunshades thare are far less elegant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears