Natural vs. synthetic

coastsider

Adventurer
I'm interested in opinions on build materials used for storage and equipment used in camping and over landing. So much stuff is made of plastic today and my camping gear is no exception. But when is leather better than vinyl? Or wood better than plastic? Modern polymers and plastics certainly have flooded our everyday lives and off-roading is no exception, however is a handmade leather duffle better than a mass produced vinyl one for backcountry camping? Or a well crafted camp kitchen box made from birch better than a stamped aluminium one? Weight and durability are factors in choice for sure, I just think something that's been hand crafted and built to last from natural materials has a certain appeal to it. I guess I would still choose a modern tent over an old canvas one any day though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It's all about the cost to benefit analysis and return on investment, go read up on developing, building, and selling a product. Product life cycle is also beneficial to know as well.

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
To me, it depends on the situation. I like leather, wood, and other natural or otherwise "old-school" materials, and I will use it if it fits what I'm going to do. Trekking and playing in mud? I won't use leather. I don't think vinyl ever makes sense, if I can't use leather, I wouldn't use something that pretends to be something else, but that is a personal preference.
I have some Ortlieb duffles (plastic, and it shows), and I'm a fan of cordura. Red Oxx makes some really nice heavy-duty cordura bags, and I have a tonne of their stuff. However, it is not waterproof. Water resistant is about it.

I like wood, and most of my furniture is ash and oak, and the coverings are leather or wool.

I will never own a cotton or poly cotton tent ever (again). The upsides does not in any way weigh up the downsides (to me).

I also like high-tech stuff such as carbon fibre and kevlar (in epoxy), titanium and other modern stuff. I also like tech.

What I'm trying to get at is that it depends on what I'm doing/going to do, and it depends rather much on taste and personal preferences.

As for the bag, leather is very heavy, and it doesn't take kindly to mud, as oppossed to (some) man made fabrics. But there are downsides to (some) man made materials too: Black cordura quickly looks filthy, and it positively vacuums any dog/cat hairs you might encounter.

However, go with what you think will fit "the mission" the best and what you like the best. Don't take leather or cotton bags river rafting and that sort of thing, unless you're also willing to pack them in drybags to protect them.

tarditi

Explorer
It depends. Just because something is modern doesn't mean it lacks craftsmanship or durability.
There are times when a well-crafted birch chuck box will perform better than my molded dosko campmate, but my campmate is much lighter than the wooden chuckbox it replaced.
I could use an army footlocker to store my gear, but the design isn't really weather resistant or conducive to storing what I want - I prefer a pelican or aluminum box... even a action packer would be better.
A nice expensive awning is great, but you could just as easily use a poly tarp and some poles to do the same thing.

Style, preference, budget, and other factors all drive our gear selection decisions - this is a great campfire topic, though.

coastsider

Adventurer
I could use an army footlocker to store my gear, but the design isn't really weather resistant or conducive to storing what I want - I prefer a pelican or aluminum box... even a action packer would be better.

I must admit I do love pelican cases and use several in my off road set up, and a great example of man made is better than natural for that use. Can you imagine using wooden boxes for storage?? Back in the days of Edmund Hillary there was no real high tech materials, didn't seem to stop him reaching the summit of Everest though.

coastsider

Adventurer
It depends. Just because something is modern doesn't mean it lacks craftsmanship or durability.

Agreed, Snow Peak and Alu Box are just two examples that come to mind. Beautifully made and designed, and Snow Peak uses a lot of wood in their products.

coastsider

Adventurer
Wow skygear that's a comprehensive break down! Clothing is an area that I wasn't thinking about, but I'm a big smart wool fan for sure. Gortex is a huge thumbs up also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears