Near Death on The North Rim !!!

haulindave

Observer
On another venture try Tuweep on the north rim. It had very few trees to deal with :elkgrin:

Any more pictures to share from this trip?

Hi Jim ,

Yes , I heard Tuweep /Toroweap area has less trees .:sombrero: I was just checking out some pics from that area . I would of like to have gone there when I was there but the weather coming in end that . Will have to go back and see it again .

Thanks for reading .

haulindave

Observer
I was thinking before you posted there was a lack of trip reports lately, so I am glad you took the time! Thanks. I was afraid you were foreshadowing something happening to your Flippac... Glad all was safe!

Hi Jay ,

I am glad that you liked it . Should of named it " Near Death on The North Rim " . I think its to late .:confused:

I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn to get the picture thing down and posting everything . Have got some good advice and happy that some of you checked it out .

The Filppac held up great , I was worried for awhile with the wind . :Wow1: The velcro straps the hold the top tight in the wind keep coming lose and flapping in the wind , but other than that it held up great .

Thanks for reading Dave :campfire:

haulindave

Observer
if you go to your very first post, click edit, then click the "Go Advanced" button you can edit the title

Thanks Jim ,

It worked , also went in and fixed a couple pics that were missing . Almost lost all of them , then they went all over the page .:mixed-smiley-030: Think I got it mostly fixed ? :coffeedrink:

With help from the Inmates here I'm learning how to do this . :wings:

Thanks again , Dave :camping::truck:

brushogger

Explorer
I was doing that , but it is a quirk I have that I will try and break . Guess I question (My writing ) myself to much . Thanks Jim for trying to help find a reason for my quirk .

Great report Dave. Many people who doubt their writing skills are too worried about what others might think, and will never dare to put themselves out there in a report like this. I applaud you for sharing this trip and the pictures. I would like to encourage you to write more reports for two reasons. (1), Writing is like any other skill. It improves with use. (2), You are a very good at telling the story in an engaging manner (which is actually the hard part). I enjoyed this one. Keep 'em comin' man!

haulindave

Observer
Great report Dave. Many people who doubt their writing skills are too worried about what others might think, and will never dare to put themselves out there in a report like this. I applaud you for sharing this trip and the pictures. I would like to encourage you to write more reports for two reasons. (1), Writing is like any other skill. It improves with use. (2), You are a very good at telling the story in an engaging manner (which is actually the hard part). I enjoyed this one. Keep 'em comin' man!

Thanks brushogger,

I have to admit ( my writing skills ) that is one of the main reasons I hadn't written a trip report before . I do hope to write more trip reports .
I know the more I do it the easier it will get . :iagree:
I am very happy that you think I'm good at telling the story in a engaging manner ? That I still think needs a lot of work . But the encouragement is much appreciated .

I have been reading trip reports and ride reports for years here and on ADV and have occasionally posted a note . Now I see that a note from your readers of support is really nice . So I will I try and post a comment of support more often .

I would say that acknowledgement from the writer to the reader of a post they made is nice also , even if only to say thanks for reading .

Thanks again Dave

Jrally

Adventurer
I'm so use to reading texts these days, on my phone, that anything resembling a complete sentence, whether it has the right punctuation or not, reads perfectly. Yes, you did a great job writing a story that kept us VERY interested. I'm glad my post about dealing with tree options got a few people going. I'm hear to learn, might get me out of trouble some day. If it was truly life or death, I would sacrifice time for conserving energy, mine or fuel. I knew it was too windy for you to use fire as a means for breaking the tree in half, just talking about options. Since I have a VERY small expo vehicle, space is at a premium, and I'm just not willing to carry a chain saw, unless I had a trailer too. An axe, a bow saw, sure, might start bringing short ramps as well, 3ft long or so.

Keep up with the reporting in the future. Jon

Last edited:

haulindave

Observer
I'm so use to read texts these days, on my phone, that anything resembling a complete sentence, whether it has the right punctuation or not, reads perfectly. Yes, you did a great job writing a story that kept us VERY interested. I'm glad my post about dealing with tree options got a few people going. I'm hear to learn, might get me out of trouble some day. If it was truly life or death, I would sacrifice time for conserving energy, mine or fuel. I knew it was too windy for you to use fire as a means for breaking the tree in half, just talking about options. Since I have a VERY small expo vehicle, space is at a premium, and I'm just not willing to carry a chain saw, unless I had a trailer too. An axe, a bow saw, sure, might start bringing short ramps as well, 3ft long or so.

Keep up with the reporting in the future. Jon

Hey Jon ,

That was a good post . When your in a situation it's always good to have options . It's always interesting the different ideas people will come up with in a need to get it done situation . Always good to learn from other people , be it good or bad , then tuck it away in your mind to when you need it !:ylsmoke:

Dave

JackW

Explorer
Trees can be a real pain - we were up at Tellico a few years back and drove up a dead end trail to the top of a bald mountaintop for lunch. On the way back out we rounded a turn in the trail and saw this:

It hadn't been there our on our way up the trail about two hours earlier. I got on the FRS and asked if anyone had a chain saw - one of our group said he had one back at camp (about eight miles away) - but we did have a couple of axes, a tree strap and a winch. It took us about 1-1/2 hours to get through the tree.

I didn't have an axe in my truck that day but I do now - permanently mounted to the bulkhead behind the seats in my Defender. It may be slower than a chainsaw (which I sometimes carry) but I always have some method of removing a fallen tree with me.

Second on the Smugmug photo hosting site - I'm very pleased with the service I get from them. Use my discount code of sLLlYcdNcsg8Q and save $5 on your subscription.

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
What a great trip report, and I loved the (unintened) suspense between each post. I've never been there, but it sure looks nice. I'm glad it all worked out and you all are safe.

SmoothLC

Explorer
Nice report.

I showed the title of the report to my wife and asked her if she came across it, would she read it?

"Of course" was the answer.

Glad everything turned out good for you and your wife. We were up at Jacob Lake last year in the fall and have driven highways 89/389 multiple times.

My first time through that area I had the same thought about the forest. Had to look at a map just to confirm how big that forest really is up top.

Plus, at that elevation and with a storm coming in you were wise to be cautious.

Anyway, thanks for the read!

haulindave

Observer
Trees can be a real pain - we were up at Tellico a few years back and drove up a dead end trail to the top of a bald mountaintop for lunch. On the way back out we rounded a turn in the trail and saw this:

It hadn't been there our on our way up the trail about two hours earlier. I got on the FRS and asked if anyone had a chain saw - one of our group said he had one back at camp (about eight miles away) - but we did have a couple of axes, a tree strap and a winch. It took us about 1-1/2 hours to get through the tree.

I didn't have an axe in my truck that day but I do now - permanently mounted to the bulkhead behind the seats in my Defender. It may be slower than a chainsaw (which I sometimes carry) but I always have some method of removing a fallen tree with me.

Second on the Smugmug photo hosting site - I'm very pleased with the service I get from them. Use my discount code of sLLlYcdNcsg8Q and save $5 on your subscription.

Looks like you guys handled that tree with ease . I agree it is a good idea to always have some way of cutting a tree , just in case .

haulindave

Observer
What a great trip report, and I loved the (unintened) suspense between each post. I've never been there, but it sure looks nice. I'm glad it all worked out and you all are safe.

Thanks for reading . Glad you liked it . You are close , you should go and check it out for sure !

Nice report.

I showed the title of the report to my wife and asked her if she came across it, would she read it?

"Of course" was the answer.

Glad everything turned out good for you and your wife. We were up at Jacob Lake last year in the fall and have driven highways 89/389 multiple times.

My first time through that area I had the same thought about the forest. Had to look at a map just to confirm how big that forest really is up top.

Plus, at that elevation and with a storm coming in you were wise to be cautious.

Anyway, thanks for the read!

Thanks LC , and glad your wife would read it . You do really have to go there to see it for yourself to understand what it's like . The Grand canyon is a magical place and so diverse from one spot to another .

thanks for the report

Thanks for reading Mr.D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater