Neat Electrical Connections

Humvette

Adventurer
Guys,
I am about to wire up my winch on the Hummer. I need some neat electrical connections for the top posts of my batteries? I want them to be sealed form the elements some how. I had a starter cable corrode out on me. That was hard to find! I need top post mounts that can accept (4) 0 gauge wires. See the Hummer winches are so big if you put them on the side mounts of an optima you will melt them!!!
(4) connections
- battery to battery for paralel setup
- winch setup
- In cab hot spot
- In cab dual isolated batteries (in the works hehe)

I also want some of that shrink wrap that has the gue inside it...

I am looking at the RubberDuck 4x4 sealed relay panel with breaker!

:victory:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
If the battery is in the engine compartment and the winch is on the front bumper 1/0 cable is probably overkill.
If you're using an AGM battery the terminals don't been to be "sealed" from the elements. If you're not using an AGM then sealed from the elements won't help much as the corrosion is caused by the battery gassing out around the post.

A quality cable lug (properly crimped and sealed)
heatShrink-with-boot.jpg

connected to a quality terminal
mil-spec_battery_term.jpg

will work just fine.
The ones on my '95 discovery are going on 10 years in service with no corrosion.
The ones on my Lightweight were installed in '86 and have no corrosion (which includes nearly 15 years in northern border states).

FWIW, the Odyssey/Diehard Platinum side lugs can handle the same load as the top posts.

Humvette

Adventurer
I want them sealed for 2 reasons. I have a metal tray about 1.5" about the 2 yellow top optimas (ie not sealed AGM's).
- I don't want the tray to short out the batteries and strand me
- I want to stop corrosion before it starts

Yellow Top Side Posts (w/top posts) are just connected to the top posts by a flat piece of metal. Some people on the Hummer forum used them that way and it became a fuse LOL. Realize we run 12,000 lbs winches and sometimes use them for 200 feet :) .

I have the 1/0 welding leads just sitten around :)

I have done some searching online and i really want some screw down type (to hold the wire)

Thx,
M

dzzz

Anything used in salt water boats is going to be more than you need. It's not a cover you need, but tinned copper lugs. Install with dielectric grease.

Humvette

Adventurer
I am more worried about that metal tray right above it getting bent down some how... 1 in 1000000 chance, but still.
M

Expedition Leader
Here is a great place for every kind of insulated terminal cover imaginable; I bought my military battery terminal insulated covers from them. You have to make a $15 minimum order but they have so much cool stuff that it's not a problem for me. :)

http://www.vteworld.com/

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Here is a great place for every kind of insulated terminal cover imaginable; I bought my military battery terminal insulated covers from them. You have to make a $15 minimum order but they have so much cool stuff that it's not a problem for me. :)

http://www.vteworld.com/
Cool! I've been looking for covers for the mil-spec terminals but haven't found them before. Not that I looked all that hard. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78