Neat little awning that attaches to your spare tire!

Morticon

Adventurer
I dunno if any of you guys have seen this but I thought it was pretty neat.

And for only 60 dollars not bad of a deal.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/83.htm

Since it mounts to a a 37" tire just like the trasharoo, I bet youll be able to strap it to a rear tailgate/liftgate/swinggate or maybe even a side door for a side awning?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
WAY cool.

I loved my full-size ARB/Camping Lab awning and will probably buy one again...(Sold it, doh!)...but this would seem to be a very versatile bit of kit, in the way that i can be dismounted and carried.

quite honestly, during 98% of my year, when I am NOT camping, being able to bring a bit of shade with me to a soccer game/party, etc, and not having to lug our EZ-up would be a real treat...

Plus with the Molle attachment points, you really could add quite a bit of storage with Blackhawk or Maxpedition style pouches/dump bags, etc. Might actually be a great alternative to a day pack, if the strap system is "all-day" comfortable.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I picked up one of these quite a while ago: Spinnaker Auto Shade
I put it to the side of my Campinglab awning as a wind break and to expand the room underneath. It worked so well I picked up a couple more. Very versatile and handy to make a quick shelter or sun break. Packs up very small. I keep two in my toolbox all the time. Easily tied off to the poles on my awning it handles high winds very well.
At the time they were priced under $20. I see now that they can be found on amazon just under $30 with free shipping. Worth that I would say.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The POS awning on our van is the acclaimed fiamma TI45. If that thing blew off when going down the road I would not stop to pick it up. Well... I'd stop and kick it off into the road side ditch so nobody would hit it. They say its the best one so I would hate to see the ones that are second. My next awing would defiantly be something like this light inexpensive Smithy built. Nice find on tire version!

Steer clear of the overrated, heavy,expensive crap like mine: http://www.eurocampers.com/-Fiamma-F45STi-35m-118x-82-awning-with-titanium-case-60-lbs_p_227.html

kai38

Explorer
I have one I used on my FJ Cruiser, I had welt sewn onto the smaller end and had this awning channel
awning-molding.gif

on the roof, I also have the channel on the sides of my RTT so I can have the awning up higher. The welt slides thru the "C" section of the channel.
Well made awning with a storage bag and shock corded poles and set of steal stakes and cord for the guy lines.
I also had a Camping Lab awning but sold it to make room on the rack. I didn't use the awning much and this was a good price for a replacement.

nigelish

Nigelish
I tried to get one of these last year but no one stocks them over here, so went to ACE hardware and got a triangular sun sail and mounted it on my Garvin rear rack with a hook, to 2 spare tent poles, it works the same takes around 5 minutes to put up. Picture shows it after some high winds normally tighter than this.

NigelSalalah 079.jpg

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
I guess if you dont have to move the tire to open the gate, or swing the tire, outwards, this thing will work although quite small.
I don't know about the smittybuilt quality- if it's anything like their seat covers gear holder , I'd stay away- they lasted about a year and they looked like a bear got a hold of them..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears