need a 3.4 v6, reman or junkyard?

well, the new to me 02 DC tacoma needs a motor. short story is did a compression check and all cylinders were dead. took the heads off and the exhuast valves are toast. water coolant has leaked into the cylinders and there is now some rusting/pitting in the cylinder walls. i'm looking for a clean slate and i'm looking for a reman or low mileage junkyard motor. which way would you go? has anyone had any good experiences with reman companies? who would you suggest? any leads on a good 3.4 on the east coast (preferably close to central wv) would be appriciated.

as a note. the cat clogged up and this is the end result. keep an eye on your converters, guys.

one last thing, any one want to buy a 02 TRD DC?:) thanks

summerprophet

Adventurer
Wow, that sucks dude.

On a side note, I have the same motor. Engine threw a cat code a bit ago. I was in no rush to replace it, as it is just a trail rig, not a daily driver. Looks like I will be swapping it out sooner rather than later. Sorry to hear about your rig, but thanks for the heads up.

hopefully my loss will be some elses gain. truck is in pretty good shape. only has 84k. i'm looking on the positive side things as these are very reliable trucks, so some money now will pay off in the long run. i think i'll have a good truck for a long time when i get done. hopefully

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Sounds like that truck hardly ever went anywhere. Normally the 5VZ is very durable, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a salvage motor. UNfortunately, its more than I can take on right now...

montypower

Adventure Time!
My preference is original equipment. See if you can find a similar mileage motor... This will be your best resource: car-part.com - It searches all wrecking yards in the US.

i checked out car-part.com. lots of motors for sale on the east coast but most of them were aound 130k and up. the few that i found around 60 or 70 were 2800 to 3500. i can get a reman motor local for around 3500 w/ 3 year unlimited mileage warranty threw napa. i've dealt with them alot in the past and they have been very easy to deal with. i would like to stick with oem but i dont think i can for the price/warranty of a reman.

Desert Dan

Explorer
A friend of mine with a 4R bought a re-maufactured long block from a Japanese engine company in LA and put it in himself.
I don't know the cost etc. He picked it up on a pallet at the factory
He has been pretty happy with it and has 60K on it so far.

Clutch

<---Pass
A friend of mine with a 4R bought a re-maufactured long block from a Japanese engine company in LA and put it in himself.
I don't know the cost etc. He picked it up on a pallet at the factory
He has been pretty happy with it and has 60K on it so far.

would you have the contact info that company?

heard there was a place getting low mile 3.4's out of Japan from one of the local private Toyota mechanics
here, wonder if it is the same place.

i looked at yota shop tonight. they have a complete long block that includes timing belt, oil pump, and water pump for $3200. 2 year/24k warranty. it seems like a lot of money but they use all the parts as the factory. head gaskets, timing belt, water pump. its all the same stuff as the factory. this seems very appealign to me. i found one motor local but it had 198k on it. not interested in that. does this seem like to much money? napa sells there reman motor with a list price of $4200. the guy doing the work for me deals with them alot and could do better on the price. the napa motor has a 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty. i like the idea of the better warranty and being local. they have been good to me in the past, but i'm unsure on the internals they use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998