Need a lighter winch than I see here normally. Warn or ...?

Sid Post

Observer
I need a winch that is 2,000lb to 4,000lb rated capacity, thinking 3500lb is my best option. On the farm, it will be used to pull stuck vehicles out of the pasture (small tractors, UTVs, small pickups, etc.) and downed limbs out into the open where I can get them with my big tractor.

This will be used mostly for general utility but, could be used to pull me out of a bad situation at times. I would like to stay in the $500 range but, I could go a bit larger or smaller. Less than 2,000lb rate capacity is a hard no.

Initially, I was thinking about a Warn option like the Warn VR EVO 8-S but, the $1,000 price tag initially seems a bit high. What would I be missing if I got a cheaper ~$500 winch?

https://www.morris4x4center.com/warn-vr-evo-8-winch.html for <$600 looks like it might be a reasonable option as the other cheaper options appear to be much smaller and meant for UTV/ATV vehicles.

I am open to other suggestions and admittedly, don't know a great deal. I just remember being impressed by the winch I saw at the Warn booth at the Colorado Expo event (MTN West).

Should I consider something else? I really don't know much about winches other than the basics so, I am probably overlooking a lot of things at the moment.

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:

jbaucom

What's it going on?

HF winches are usually very economical and as good as any low budget winch. I have no experience with them, but for around $250 the Apex 5,500 lb winches seem appealing. However, for about $100 more you can get a Badland ZXR 9,500 or 12,000 lb winch. In ATV/UTV size winches, the Warn price premium isn't so bad. Seriously though, you speak of recovering stuck tractors and trucks. Are you looking at a small winch just because they're cheaper, or is it going on an ATV/UTV that can't fit an 8,000+ lb winch?

Sid Post

Observer
What's it going on?

HF winches are usually very economical and as good as any low budget winch. I have no experience with them, but for around $250 the Apex 5,500 lb winches seem appealing. However, for about $100 more you can get a Badland ZXR 9,500 or 12,000 lb winch. In ATV/UTV size winches, the Warn price premium isn't so bad. Seriously though, you speak of recovering stuck tractors and trucks. Are you looking at a small winch just because they're cheaper, or is it going on an ATV/UTV that can't fit an 8,000+ lb winch?

My little tractor is <3,000lbs loaded and fueled. The Kubota RTV has a low center of gravity and gets high centered at times in soft ground. My other tractor is only 2 wheel drive so, it occasionally spins out in wet slick ground.

I'm not mud bogging or anything remotely related to that. The winch will be mounted to either my 14,000lb trailer (occasionally for special needs) and will normally be mounted to my main work pickup.

The Warn EVO VR 8,000lb is ~$600 and an 8,000lb Zeon is ~$1100 with several upgraded features like a bigger drum for cable and better braking plus other stuff. For an extra $200, I can go to 12,000lb on the Zeon.

I don't know about Ramsey winches but, various reviews speak highly of them. The UTV orient winches are cheaper but, I don't think they will last very long if I use them much on my farm.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
I used to say that if it doesn't have a red "W" on it, it will let you down...

I have tempered some since those times, as I've tried out a few other winches and not been let down by them generally. Specifically, I find the Harbor Freight winches to be quite excellent. I use a 5000lb winch on a custom receiver cradle made from their ATV mounting plate and a piece of 2" square tube that I had. I set it up with a wireless remote so all I have to do is remember the remote and plug it in. It pulls out my plow truck in the winter when I get hung up, loads dead cars on my trailer when needed, and rides on the front of our Comanche as insurance when we go camping. It is quite portable, and quite powerful, limited mostly by the size and length of battery cables that I run it with. This winch is currently called a ZXR 5000, and is presently $200. I got mine on sale for 170-something...

displacedtexan

I am a Warn guy... Warn has 3 different manufacturing standards. I think VR is the bottom feeder built and sourced in China. Zeon is a step up, and the M series are the no compromise Warn winch, but there is lots of positive feedback on a brand name that sells for 1/3 the Warn price.... being a Warn guy not interested in a bargain the name escapes me but there are plenty of positive reviews on the internet.

If I find it I'll post it.

Beyond price or warranty is parts availability. Any Warn winch can be rebuilt... most of the cheap competition are throw away winches.

I have a few buddies with Warn Winches that are almost 50 years old.... one has the predecessor ... the Bellevue Winch.

View attachment 771344
I can replace my winch a few times before buying the first Warn. And another one for the price of a rebuild.

Dad and I have 3, all have been used past rated weight and WAAAYYY past duty cycle... No issues.

Sid Post

Observer
I'm debating the WARN VRX 45-S, though the steel cable version is cheaper. It is about twice the cost of a Harbor Freight or similar brand winches.

As noted, I have more confidence in the Warn or similar well-respected names due to the inconvenience and costs of a winch failure "in the field".

Dragging a downed limb out of the trees is not such a big deal if it fails. Helping a small tractor or UTV out of a small mud puddle or, dragging a dead one onto a trailer is a bigger deal and likely a major inconvenience at a minimum, and possibly an expense to recover it if the winch fails.

This suggests spending a little more for quality and reliability is worthwhile assuming the extra expense is reasonable.

displacedtexan

Question, when it breaks in the field how far will you have to hike for that replacement. And where is the value after replacing it twice when you could have just bought a Warn winch and never needed to pay for a tow truck.....

Curious tho why you never answered the OPs question. A brand name seems more on topic.....
If your's needs rebuilt in the field, how far will you have to hike?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior