Need advice for dual input battery charger

Trollhole

Head Jerk
Trailer has a 7 pin connector. Can charge battery off the main power from that but it would be nice to have a charger that has multiple inputs. Say a solar panel, 120v power and vehicle 12v. Is there such a beast out there?

Before going camping and want to just plugin your trailer to charge and maintain battery or batteries.
Going to and from camping and want to charge battery from vehicles alternator
Camping and want to top off battery from solar panel.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
You're kind of talking about 3 separate systems...not sure how to get them into one. As far as the truck charging aspect, it has to be good size wire to make up for the length. If you're just using the 7pin connector, it's probably not going to give you more then 5-10 amps out it based on feet of run and wire size. If the batteries are charged at home and your topping them off driving, then that's probably fine. If you want to deliver a better charge, run yourself a separate set of 6 or 8 guage wires from the truck, to an Anderson clip at the rear, and then a set going directly to the trailer battery(s).

I use an Iota-45 ,mounted in the trailer, a 110 unit to charge and float between trips. I can also use it if we're camping and have shore power, or I bring the generator. As far as camping and set up, I ran a dedicated female 12v socket that plugs directly into the batteries from a solar panel, that has about 10' of wire, and can be moved to take advantage of the sun.

sabconsulting

I've got a CTEK D250S DC to DC charger - that takes an input from the truck and another from the solar - acts as a good MPPT charge controller. If the camper battery is full it even uses spare solar to charge the truck battery.

I've got a regular CTEK AC to 12v charger in parallel with that and they seem to play well together.

Steve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman