need advice on a 3 person sleeper trailer - small budget

ACFaulk

SE Expedition Society
Been debating options for a long time. I have a 04 jeep wrangler. I'm tired of tent camping. I need to accommodate 3 people. Debated getting rid of my jeep and going to a Van as a solution but the places I wheel are ideal for a smaller rig. So leaning toward a 5x10 cargo trailer. I can get one even new for around $2000 to $2200. Before I pull the trigger wanted to see if you guys had any other ideas? Any options I may have missed? For the money and size it offers this seems like the best fit. Granted I wont be able to drag this just anywhere. I'm hoping I'll be able to pull it up and down some dirt roads etc but I don't see it going over any serious terrain. Some of the things I would want in the trailer:

- 5x10 size
- V nose design
- Insulated
- window unit ac (I've seen some very interesting ways to mount this) I like the method of mounting it in the trailer fully and then ducting the intake and exhaust air out the trailer possibly through the floor that way the sides of the trailer have no cuts in it.
- barn doors in the back
- side door access
- options for shore power and battery power
- at least a 15 tire
- leaf spring axles (I think would be better off road)
- roof vent

Again, looking for ideas that I have not thought about...Trying not to go to large b/c of the size of the jeep. If I had a wider vehicle I go with a 6' wide. Thanks for any feedback!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've thought about doing one of these as well. I was looking at used little fiberglass campers but they aren't cheap.

Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Mine is a 6' wide variety because I towed with a full size, but I've seen a few based on 5x10 bases. Loved the ability to have a rear kitchen w/ the double doors and a side entrance for the living area. Link to my trailer build is in my sig. so I don't clog your thread with my pics.

Don

-

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Consider a fold down bunk bed in there, queen on the bottom and a flopper off one side above the bed, you could easily sleep 4 and a couple kids or two Great Danes, LOL.

ACFaulk

SE Expedition Society
I agree with the rear kitchen ideas. as well as big mattress on the bottom and fold away bunk above for the kid. even figured out I could mount the AC window unit in the vnose section inside the trailer and vent to the floor. I want to keep the outside looking like a typical trailer so don't plan on installing any windows yet. I'll stick with just the roof vent. I think a peep hole in the door would be a good idea. I'll need battery / inverter for lights and charging devices etc. I still have a couple of weeks before I pull the trigger on the purchase. Once I do I'll start a new build thread. Appreciate the replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman