Need Advice on Best setup for emergency use

hikerpaul

I just bought a tacoma with a flippac, and plan to take it on isolated back roads in the mountains and desert.

I'd like some type of communication device for safety if I run into real trouble I can't get out of myself.

I have a PLB (personal locator beacon) but would also like some sort of radio for actual communication potential. (My previous jeep had a CB)

I obviously would like whatever would provide the best chance of reaching help, in a real emergency.

I presume that I would want whatever has the best combination of range and chance of getting through to where I want to.

What do you use. What do you recommend. I'd like as many specifics as possible. I don't want to reinvent the wheel and do a lot of research that has already been done, or duplicate the experience you already have.

Just want if possible a step by step guide to what to buy, where to get it and if possible how to install it.

If there are several good choices I'm open to several.

I'd be willing to do a little work to get a license if I needed to, if it wasn't too difficult.

I'd prefer to pay as little as necessary, and would be happy to search ebay or craigs list for used units, if I can buy what I need used.

thanks

Paul

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
You have a couple of options and since you already have a PLB you will understand why I start with:
SPOT Global Messenger - think of your PLB but with more "friendly options" you can send an OK message to loved ones in case you are just running late.....HELP which goes out to up to 10 of your buddies in case of a breakdown.....911 which goes out to the closest SAR to your location...
All messenges include a text to cell phone & email with your GPS #'s and a link to google maps.
A less than "all or nothing" solution than a PLB.....

In addition I would recommend HAM radio....you can pass the Tech test super easy with some online study....
You can get a 2 meter only radio with antenna (CB sized) for under $200 total....less if you go used.
And a word on used HAM equip...most folks take great care of their stuff and it last forever so you can get good deals on used stuff......

Personally I like to recommend a handheld ham radio used with a mag mount external antenna. That will get you started, have enough power to be a part of trail runs and reach many repeaters...and most importantly if you don't like it you can sell it all off with out major install issues.

Oh and why HAM.....well because there is along history of emerg service with ham, lots of folks listen to repeaters....will a modification to the radio you can reach out on emerg service freq...this mod is illegal to use unless a life or death emerg....Search previous threads on this....
Plus you get FM clarity and huge range.

I am sure others will chime in also.

Overdrive

Adventurer
Hi Paul, and welcome to ExPo!

Ruling out a satellite phone due to the high costs, your choice of emergency communications boils down to the Spot system or a Ham radio. Having both would be best. A CB radio probably is worthy of mention just because they are so inexpensive these days, why not have one? But if you are familiar with a CB, a Ham has far, far better range--no comparison. It also has the ability to connect to a phone patch so you can make a phone call from your ham, provided you have an appropriate repeater connection. And as Lance said, there are a lot of good folks just listening to the ham and those folks could make phone calls on your behalf if you have an emergency situation. You would of course need to supplement your Ham emergency communications with a GPS so you could provide coordinates for your rescue--the Spot does this automatically.

I am working on buying/installing a 2-meter Ham as we speak, feeling that this gives me the most bang for my buck for the time being. (A Spot would cost $270 the first year and $100 each year thereafter. A Ham will cost you around $200 period, no further costs.) I am going with a vehicle-mounted one for now (called a mobile) and will get a hand-held (also called an HT) in the near future. I am doing this for the extended range a 60-watt mobile with a large vehicle-roof mounted antenna will provide over an HT.

You can do things with the Ham that Spot will not do...that is, if you make a connection, you talk to a real live human to explain what emergency you are experiencing so that the appropriate resources can be sent without delay. The Ham's range is limited, though, so will you be able to reach anyone? Whereas with the Spot, it should always be able to send an emergency signal, but the information sent is generic, so will the appropriate resources be sent without delay? The other benefit of a Ham and CB, but again focusing on the Ham, is that there's a chance some other unknown person on the trail near you will be able to come to your aid. With Spot, you'll never know there's someone "around the corner" from you when you could use their help.

With a Ham or CB radio, the antenna will make all the difference. Be sure to have a correctly installed appropriate antenna.

You asked for specifics. HamCity.com and UniversalRadio.com have been recommended as having good prices and service.

I've rambled on long enough; there's about $.04 there.
Scott

hikerpaul

Thanks for the advice --few more questions

Thanks both of you for the advice. It has been very helpful.

I have a few more questions.

1) Can you buy Spot service by the month, I tend to use my camper irregularly so I'd prefer to just pay for service during the months when I use it rather than all year, if it is possible to do so. . (I even turn my car insurance on and off so pay only on the days I use the truck/flippac.)

2) Can the ham radio I buy also communicate on CB bands or woud I need to get a ham and cb if I wanted to do both.

3) Does it matter which frequency ham radio I get,

4) Can you recommend some particular models ham radio and antennas, so I can look on the used market (or refer me to site with specific recommendations)

If you cannot recommend particular models and brands what specifications, should I should look for.

Since I am looking primarily for a system I'd use in an emergency I'd like to maximize my chances of being able to reach help--so this would affect my choice of models.

5) Where would you recommend looking for used ham radios besides craigslist and ebay

Thanks again for all your help

gary in ohio

Explorer
A yaesu ft-897 will meet all your needs. It can be portable with internal batteries or 12v powered. Internal tuner or external. Cover HF, 6,2 and 440.
Either mounted or packed along with some simple wire antenna for HF and easy to erect VHF/UHF antennas you have a complete portable system.

Overdrive

Adventurer
1) I don't know if you can buy Spot by the month, you'd have to contact them. Click on their logo at the bottom of the ExPo home page. Some company was offering rentals, so that may be an option for you.

2) There are no Ham radios that incorporate CB, it's against FCC rules, so you need a separate CB radio.

3) 144 Mhz (aka 2-meter) seems to be the most popular. I saw someone commented that in the area around Moab, he found 440 Mhz (aka 70 cm ) to have more repeaters in the area. Luckily, there are dual band radios (144 / 440) so you could transmit on whichever you need. Of course, they cost more.

4) see Gary's post above

5) http://forums.qrz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

gary in ohio

Explorer
It also depends, do you want an radio that be used in an emergency or do you want a box that says help come and get me. Big difference in needs..

5artist5

I did quite a bit of research before I decided to go with Ham radio. I also wanted it for emergency situations in remote locations. It seems like the mobile combo radios that are 2-meter and 70 centimeter (144/440mhz) are the way to go for this.
Firstly these are the most popular bands and therefore more people are listening. These are the main bands that you have access to by getting the Tech license which is the easiest one to get. There are other bands that you don’t have access to with the tech license but the rule is that if it is a true emergency (life or death, not just lost) you may use any means to communicate. So because of that you could buy a radio that has the 144/440 and also HF frequencies that travel a farther distance but that you legally would not be able to use unless a life was on the line.

I went with a mobile instead of a handheld because the handhelds are 5watts or less while the mobiles are 60 or more. This plus a good antenna will give you fantastic range, at least in my opinion. I am able to hit repeaters that are quite far away with my setup.

I went with the ICOM 208H
IC-208H.gif

Another nice thing about these dual band radios is that most of them have detachable faces. So you can put the actual radio under a seat or wherever and mount the face controls on the dash.

gary in ohio

Explorer
5artist5 said:
but the rule is that if it is a true emergency (life or death, not just lost) you may use any means to communicate. So because of that you could buy a radio that has the 144/440 and also HF frequencies that travel a farther distance but that you legally would not be able to use unless a life was on the line.

we have gone over this many times and I will not debate the legal/illegal use in an emergency but I would not bet my life on finding someone on some random frequency. If your not using the radio/band on a semi regular basis you never know what freq to use. Its more than just keying the microphone where you hear someone on the receiver to talk with them. As the Public safety moves to 700mhz its not even going to be an option.

If you want a radio to keep in touch or communicate in an emergency then you been given several valid options.

Last edited:

5artist5

gary in ohio said:
we have gone over this many times and I will not debate the legal/illegal use in an emergency but I would not bet my life on finding someone on some random frequency. If your not using the radio/band on a semi regular basis you never know what freq to use. Its more than just keying the microphone where you hear someone on the receiver to talk with them.

I would agree with this for the most part. My current radio only has bands that my license covers. I keep a repeater guide in my jeep and i usually program repeater that are local to where i will be going ahead of time. But if i were in an emergency and I don't hear anything back from any of the channels I have then I may start wishing I had HF capabilities as well. Recently I have been thinking about getting a more powerful antenna to keep in the jeep for emergencies. Does anyone have any recommendations for something that would fit that bill?

1leg

Explorer
Some important points to remember in emergency communication, using Ham radios.

1: Use and monitor the National emergency frequencies. 146.520
2: When you have a real emergency don’t wait for someone to respond to give your information. Just because you don’t hear anyone doesn’t mean no one can hear you.

gary in ohio

Explorer
1leg said:
Some important points to remember in emergency communication, using Ham radios.

1: Use and monitor the National emergency frequencies. 146.520
2: When you have a real emergency don’t wait for someone to respond to give your information. Just because you don’t hear anyone doesn’t mean no one can hear you.

146,52 is NOT a National emergency frequencies, Its a national calling frequency. Ham radio has NO set emergency frequencies. There is Wilderness Protocol that uses .52, but I know of no organization that is actively monitoring 52 for emergencies. On top of that it requires you to have some way of telling time and be willing to wait 3hrs if you miss your window. WP might work in some have tourist/hiking areas but generally should be counted on to save you.

As for #2, its worth a shot but dont bet your life on being monitored by someone.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think most ARES/RACES groups encourage the use of 146.520, sure would make S&R easier. Wilderness Protocol does not require you to be truly in the middle of nowhere to work and it'll only work as long as everyone uses it. In reality as long as people who are in an area with minimal or no repeater coverage just monitor 146.520, it'll be better than nothing. I've once had a short QSO with another station following the W.P. on 146.520 out near Dinosaur National Monument on the way down to Echo Park. Truly a Wilderness spot if the definition ever fit.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
A couple of comments on the post so far.

An HT is not a good choice for a first radio, I learned that the hard way. The range is limited and they tend to be hard to program for repeater use because of the small size of the keypad and display. Plus they are a PITA to use while driving. I basically have to stop the vehicle to adjust squelch or Tx power levels because the keys are so small.

If you are going to depend on any technology in an emergency you need to practice using it to become familiar with it's operation. And you need to use it in an ongoing manner to stay familiar. This is actually fairly easy with ham because you can practice almost anywhere. There are plenty of operators out there ready to chat for a while. In particular with HAM you need to learn to set your radio up for repeater operation. Repeaters are what you will rely on in remote areas for a contact.

If you chose to get a HAM radio be sure to get one that has a weather RX capability. I use this function on my HT and mobile unit constantly. Many radios can also be programed to monitor for the 1050 NOAA alert signal and automatically notify you of extreme weather alerts.

IMHO CB is a total waste of time unless you travel with groups that are stuck in the 70's and want to be in the loop with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears