NEED advice on DIY Trailer Build

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
76CFCA37-13D8-4E18-B7AA-BA9264033851.jpeg8DBCAAF6-03B8-46C6-87B2-3226E6C0FA66.jpeg57A6F316-713F-468D-AD7E-5E4DC513754F.jpeg0BAC44B4-AF67-4700-94B6-B12E898515CC.jpeg6AFF77AB-0D34-4360-AAF7-B155DE9A3459.jpegCC71FD31-F213-4951-8B0A-77A94F9203AD.jpeg76CFCA37-13D8-4E18-B7AA-BA9264033851.jpeg8DBCAAF6-03B8-46C6-87B2-3226E6C0FA66.jpeg57A6F316-713F-468D-AD7E-5E4DC513754F.jpegCC71FD31-F213-4951-8B0A-77A94F9203AD.jpegHello ??

I have been a member for quite sometime now but I had dropped out of sight cause of life happening but came back cause I’m thinking of moshing my completely restored 1947 Bantam T3-C 1/4 ton trailer.

I wrestled with the idea for far too long and was looking into getting a teardrop or overlanding trailer but I just can’t find exactly what I want. And so the idea came to mind to modify my trailer.

I have 4.5K invested in the restoration and have tried to sell it as is and have entertainment many offers but I just haven’t found the one that would make me sell, so here I am.

As stated, trailer has gone through a complete restoration process and at this point I’m only interested on bolt-on options and not welding options due to all the powder coat on my trailer.

I’m including pictures of my trailer with hopes someone with knowledge can help me or guide me in this process. I have many extra parts for my trailer and the last things I purchased were the no-weld brackets. I have 6 brackets in all, never used.

I would like to extend the a-frame or the hitch so that I can back up the trailer easier. Maybe!, drop the axle and add an off road type axle with bigger off road tires.

Please, all I need is advise. Any comments are more than welcome ??. Also, if you feel I shouldn’t mod this trailer, please speak up and let me know your thoughts. As I said, I still do have lots of parts for this trailer and the M416 as well.

See pics and look forward to any replies!76CFCA37-13D8-4E18-B7AA-BA9264033851.jpegCC71FD31-F213-4951-8B0A-77A94F9203AD.jpegCC71FD31-F213-4951-8B0A-77A94F9203AD.jpegCC71FD31-F213-4951-8B0A-77A94F9203AD.jpeg6AFF77AB-0D34-4360-AAF7-B155DE9A3459.jpeg0BAC44B4-AF67-4700-94B6-B12E898515CC.jpeg57A6F316-713F-468D-AD7E-5E4DC513754F.jpeg8DBCAAF6-03B8-46C6-87B2-3226E6C0FA66.jpeg76CFCA37-13D8-4E18-B7AA-BA9264033851.jpeg

billiebob

What do you tow with? The hitch to axle length looks pretty much ideal. Can you see both sides/tires on the trailer when reversing.
Not sure what mirrors you have but an upgrade there might help too.

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
What do you tow with? The hitch to axle length looks pretty much ideal. Can you see both sides/tires on the trailer when reversing.
Not sure what mirrors you have but an upgrade there might help too.

Thanks ??, my pull rig is a 2022 Ford Bronco, 4-Dr, 2.3K. I still have not pull this trailer with it. My former rig was a 2012 Jeep Wrangler, 4-Dr, 3.6L and it was terrific but very hard to backup.

I have no idea if I’m gonna have the same problem with the Bronco…I hope not, hence the question about extending the a-frame and tongue.

Do you think that would make a significant change? Am I gonna have to change my axle to a more beefier one? Would that. Are any difference? I truly don’t want to go that rout but just asking.

Please advise!

Thanks ??

billiebob

Am I gonna have to change my axle to a more beefier one?
I think that trailer axle should work fine, those trailers were pretty much bullet proof. I think they can carry a 1000# payload.
As an EXPO trailer I doubt you will overload it which would be the only reason to change it.
Changing the axle won't add capacity without changing the springs and frame too.

On reverse, look for a course, once you have the basic habits practiced it makes reversing much easier.
Most of us start off without a clue.

Last edited:

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
I think that trailer axle should work fine, those trailers were pretty much bullet proof.
As an EXPO trailer I doubt you will overload it which would be the only reason to change it.

On reverse, look for a course, once you have the basic habits practiced it makes reversing much easier.
Most of us start off without a clue.

The axle on my trailer is original but not the springs. The springs on the original trailer or before restoration were shot. The ones on now are brand new and beefier which I think can handle more weight but just not too sure about it.

have you seen anyone convert/mod one of these Bantam’s into an over landing trailer? If you have, can you lead me to them? or put me in touch? I would like to pick their brains on the subject. I have had this trailer since I bought it from the owner in California…since 2010 and has been kept in storage all this time. It has seen very little on-road time. It came to florida from California in a storage container.

Please, if you could lead me to someone, I would truly appreciate the help.

thanks, Joel

ITTOG

Generally speaking most of the trailers I see like this are used for storage and not an overland trailer that has pull out kitchens, fridges, etc. If you want these things then sell this trailer and build one to be exactly what you want. I believe if you do a search here on your trailer you will find other builds.

billiebob

have you seen anyone convert/mod one of these Bantam’s into an over landing trailer? If you have, can you lead me to them?
there must be 100 threads right here on the DIY forum

as ITTOG says, unless this is passion to make an EXPO trailer from yer Bantam..... starting fresh is likely a better choice...
but what must be must be

use the search function

Last edited:

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
Thank you to the responses I have received thus far. They’re helping me navigate this issue. As stated before, my pull rig is a Ford Bronco and I have already done a DIY type setting inside the Bronco that will take care of some of my needs like storage and cooler/refrigerator. Right now my 12v refrigerator is on order but in 144A4C61-52B7-46D4-9A44-9EC8B0F995D6.jpeg7930D1CB-B969-4856-96E5-336BA70EB84C.jpeg1166D2D5-388C-4DF7-A5B0-0AF75EA4B781.jpeg686E4FAB-531C-427A-9965-11E49DD110FA.jpeg6694F453-4182-4E42-91C6-C8EA41444CE1.jpegF4AB7BC2-43F2-477C-8AAB-0B15C88B4442.jpegthe mean time I have a cooler in place which is just fine for now.

As far as the trailer is concerned. I pretty much would like to add an aluminum top and on it would like to add the No weld brackets to put a RTT on it. Would be nice to add some Rotopax containers for additional gas and water and some brackets for an ax, pick and shovel. Basically add things that are just gonna be needed in case I run into trouble.

I’ll do what has been suggested already and search for treads that talk about this builds on the Bantam.

thank you!

joel

FN4PAPA

That's a beautiful trailer... Better you sell it and start from scratch if you want an off-road trailer... Building off road trailers as I am finding out is not for the weak of heart or pocket book... This forum is filled with all those 3 months projects that are now in their 3rd or 4th year of construction... Unless you are a pretty capable guy with a decent shop and welder, best to buy something already built of which there are lot of options out there... Best of luck.

Cheers

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
That's a beautiful trailer... Better you sell it and start from scratch if you want an off-road trailer... Building off road trailers as I am finding out is not for the weak of heart or pocket book... This forum is filled with all those 3 months projects that are now in their 3rd or 4th year of construction... Unless you are a pretty capable guy with a decent shop and welder, best to buy something already built of which there are lot of options out there... Best of luck.

Cheers

Sir!, thank you for your honest response! Maybe I was just jumping to a conclusion and maybe I was just talking without really thinking about it in depth. Just went into my garage and took a really good look at this trailer and also agreed with you. This trailer looks to good to be an out landing rig.

But here’s my predicament. I have $4.5K invested in the restoration of this trailer. I know, I put the work and spent the money but that’s on me. I know I won’t be able to probably get that money out of it unless you truly saw what this trailer went through to get it this way and even at that someone would think twice.

I‘m gonna ask for yours or anyones honest opinion on how much you feel this trailer is worth to you if you were to purchase it. Yes, I know how much has been invested on it but what would it be a fair value market in order to sell?

If you can give me a starting and honest opinion, I would honestly consider that opinion and go from there.

Thank you so much in advance!

b/r,

Joel

gatorgrizz27

I think you have a fine base so long as you’re not planning to turn it into an enclosed camper that you sleep inside of.

For extending the tongue, I’d replace the coupler with a length of 2” receiver tubing, so you can put your coupler on 2” square tube and slide it in and out as desired. Longer for carrying a canoe, etc, shorter for storage. You can even swap in a pintle lunette ring if needed.

I’m not sure what’s wrong with your current axle/suspension setup, I’d leave it alone if nothing. If something is bent/damaged Timbren has a write up on their page of installing their off road suspension on military trailers.

This is what I would do as far as storage goes, it should be relatively simple to fabricate a bolt on top with an angle iron frame to go over the existing rub rail and keep it waterproof. Then your roof top tent/canoe bars can be welded to that.

Inside you can build two pull out full sized drawers, one for a kitchen if needed, one big empty one for storage. Bolt a hitch carrier rack on the tongue for holding Jerry cans or water jugs, and some Quick fists on the front wall for tools when needed.

One thing to keep in mind with “off road trailers” is that the vast majority of us use them as base camps, so they might need to go down some dirt roads or washouts, but they don’t need to be able to go anywhere the tow vehicle can on trails/etc. The biggest issue to me is having room to turn it around on trails if they are impassible for the vehicle, rather than the trailer itself getting hung up.

It looks like you’re in S. Florida from the photos, where do you plan on using the trailer most?

billiebob

I‘m gonna ask for yours or anyones honest opinion on how much you feel this trailer is worth to you if you were to purchase it
Its a $2K trailer at best if you find a guy with a red M38..... You have WAY too much invested to let it go.....

On the build this or buy something else..... You cannot replace what you have for $2K so keep it, build what you want. The "drill no holes thing" is fine but don't let that hamper yer choices.

No matter where you end up, the military trailer thing will always be a conversation starter. Keep it. Build it like you want it......
Rebuild it next year..... we never get it all right the first time or we'd all be driving Model Ts today.
Have at 'er, enjoy the project, get out and party with us.

The best part is driving thru a campground, picking a site, walking around and seeing what everyone else brung to the party.

Ignore the nay sayers..... you can build something else next year.

billiebob

I'm camping....

A guy arrives in a new NoBo teardrop.... sets out his solar array..... cooks ToFu..... I'm desparate if I say Hello.
Guy rolls in towing a Bantam trailer with a wicked home built camper thingee..... I'm offering him a beer.
Originality, Imagination, Unique, Character..... so many things to strive for.... you have a great trailer to start the process.

canorisa

Mr. Joel Rivera
Hello gents!

I apologize for not answering posts lately and I know I have been absent but I have been in the hospital for the past 3 days. I was taken due to extreme abdominal pains because of my past injuries and I thought I was just going to have an X-ray taken but no, they took me in and 3 days laters I’m back home. Never believe what they tell you!

well happy to report that I made it through and I made it back in one piece, lol ?. Needless to say, I’m still recovering from being in the hospital and today is our 10th wedding anniversary! and I don’t know if we’ll be able to go out to at least have dinner but we’ll shoot from the hip on that.

Thank you for all the responses! I’m now reading them and considering them. One big question comes to mind real quick that I would like to put out there. For those who have done this…have you drilled holes into powder coated metal? Would I be ruining the finish? Would the powder coat around crack? The last thing I want to do is to start drilling holes and crack the powder coat paint around the holes. Thanks for any and all advice.

I don’t want to replace my a-frame but would like to extend the hitch. How can I do that and what am I gonna need? I also need it to be removable as I need it to fit inside the garage.

My tires are military NDCC’s. By converting my trailer into an overlanding trailer, do I have to change my tire setup? I mean, I do like them and don’t see and don’t have a need to change them but seen lots of these overlanding trailers with 3500# axles and bigger tire setups. I don’t think I wanna go that rout but just asking the dumb question now.

thank you so much in advance!

??????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179