need advice to get started in photography

roamingaz

Explorer
My dad gave me a old camera when I was a kid and have been hooked on taking picture ever since. I want to get more into it and need some ideas where to start with a digital camera. I have a nice point and shoot but want something with different lenses for more professional pictures.
I prefer quality so what would be a good camera to get?

Stan the Man

Adventurer
First, what is your budget for the camera and lenses? Also, welcome to a wonderful hobby and a black-hole for money :ylsmoke:

photoman

Explorer
Very true about the black hole.

In addition to what you are looking to spend:
What subjects do you want to be shooting? (landscape, family stuff, sports, animals, etc.)
How deep do you want to get into this hobby? Travel camera, hobby, or potential income?

I have some gear I am selling. If it doesn't go this weekend to a friend I will send you the details.

chimivee

Observer
Most all mid-high end cameras are pretty good these days. Even P&S cameras can be excellent. You almost can't go wrong with any of the D-SLR's from the big brands. Figure out your budget, intended use, and desired features. By all means, get the gear you want, but in the end it's not the camera that takes a good photo. :) Enjoy!

piercearrowinc

Supporting Sponsor
Getting equipped to persue a hobby in photography is not that involved. I use a Canon EOS Rebel XSi with a cheapy lens. I am saving for a Canon lens. Give yourself time to learn your camera before investing a ton of money on gadgets. I'd suggest purchasing memory cards with at least 4GB of space. Always have a few next cards if you are on an extended trip. A good camera bag is important. Check out this one from Best Buy. As far as software goes I like Apature from Apple. You can do a lot of editing. Good luck with your new hobby!

ywen

Explorer
Given how fast digital SLRs have evolved over the past few years. I would highly recommend looking into buying a used model.

As long as the camera is in good condition (free of signs of being dropped etc..) it will work well for many years. The only thing you get with buying a new one is the newer models typically have better high-ISO image quality and HD video. If you buy a newer model used DSLR, the image quality will be very close to what you get with a brand-new model.

Lenses will last forever and never depreciate. A used lens is also a safe buy but their prices will be much closer to new prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears