Need HAM radio for upcoming ROF trip. Need Ideas.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Probably not the best place to post this question but I know some HAM experts have been replying here. I recently purchased a Yaesu FT-65 but it did not come with a 12 volt charger. So I did some research and found this Yaesu charger SDD-13. But the plugs are not the same (see photo). Does anyone know what 12v charger works with this radio?
6384000e8a8ea06e2ecad5ee04506332.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KENPERK

google search Ham Radio Outlet...call the closest one to you and ask...internet says thats the right part number in your picture..

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Interwebz say SDD-13 is the correct 12V cigarette adapter for the FT-60R and many others, VX-7R, VX-6R, FT1DR, etc.

The FT-65R comes with a 120V wall wart, the SAD-20B, that is used for the SBH-22 drop in charger. That appears to be the plug to the upper right of your photo.

Reading the manual Yaesu does not list a cigarette plug adapter for the radio and looking at photos of the radio I don't see an external jack to plug one in either. It's possible one does not exist because there's no provision made to power the radio from an external power source.

It's been typical that ham radios have such a provision but it's actually not unusual for commercial duty radios to lack this option. It's possible this radio was in the pipeline back when Motorola controlled Vertex-Standard when they owned Yaesu.

Motorola sold the amateur division back to the original Yaesu owners a few years ago and it's now its own company again separate from Motorola/Vertex but design, validation, regulatory testing and getting supply chains in place might mean it was better to go forward than to start from zero. Just speculation, though. It's also possible Yaesu just eliminated it for cost and space reasons.

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
The Interwebz say SDD-13 is the correct 12V cigarette adapter for the FT-60R and many others, VX-7R, VX-6R, FT1DR, etc.

The FT-65R comes with a 120V wall wart, the SAD-20B, that is used for the SBH-22 drop in charger. That appears to be the plug to the upper right of your photo.

Reading the manual Yaesu does not list a cigarette plug adapter for the radio and looking at photos of the radio I don't see an external jack to plug one in either. It's possible one does not exist because there's no provision made to power the radio from an external power source.

It's been typical that ham radios have such a provision but it's actually not unusual for commercial duty radios to lack this option. It's possible this radio was in the pipeline back when Motorola controlled Vertex-Standard when they owned Yaesu.

Motorola sold the amateur division back to the original Yaesu owners a few years ago and it's now its own company again separate from Motorola/Vertex but design, validation, regulatory testing and getting supply chains in place might mean it was better to go forward than to start from zero. Just speculation, though. It's also possible Yaesu just eliminated it for cost and space reasons.

I did not realize there was no plug on the radio until I tried to fit it. But I had a aha moment when I thought the charger would plug into the AC charging stand but it doesn’t. My solution is not perfect but I can charge it off the inverter when driving. It’s only used as backup anyway.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
whats the wall wart say on it voltage wise?

I thought of that too. So I dug through a few old chargers and none would work. Output is supposed to be 12V (nte 16) and 1 amp. Most I had were 5V and/or wrong plug.

dreadlocks

Cut the plug off, or measure it and buy a similar one to assemble and wire it up to one of these in a project box with a ciggy plug: https://www.amazon.com/Converter-12V-Automatic-Waterproof-Transformer/dp/B07WY4P7W8

That will give it a solid 12V output regardless what DC source you provide it.

You might be able to wire it up directly to your vehicle, most things that operate at 12v are tolerant of automotive voltages.. pretty rare to find a 12v device that goes poof at 14.6v

DaveInDenver

@Ace Brown - If the Yaesu SAD-20B wall adapter that came with your FT-65R says 12V @ 1A then the SDD-13 cigarette plug adapter you have would work. I have coax barrel connectors here and might have one that fits the drop-in base. If so we could just cut the yellow-tipped connector off and put one on that fits on. You'd still have to use the cradle since there's no connector on the radio itself but at least you could eliminate the inverter + wall wart step.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
@Ace Brown - If the Yaesu SAD-20B wall adapter that came with your FT-65R says 12V @ 1A then the SDD-13 cigarette plug adapter you have would work. I have coax barrel connectors here and might have one that fits the drop-in base. If so we could just cut the yellow-tipped connector off and put one on that fits on. You'd still have to use the cradle since there's no connector on the radio itself but at least you could eliminate the inverter + wall wart step.

Thanks Dave but too late. I’ve already sent the cable back. I thought of doing just that but thought it would be awkward trying to get in the cradle while driving. With limited use I expect charging via inverter while be ok.

DaveInDenver

Thanks Dave but too late. I’ve already sent the cable back. I thought of doing just that but thought it would be awkward trying to get in the cradle while driving. With limited use I expect charging via inverter while be ok.

No problem. Just let me know if you decide to tinker with it in the future, I'm happy to come up or you swing by the house to work on stuff. Same with solar stuff, BTW.

I wish ham radio brands would stick with form factors and batteries terminals from their sister commercial lines so we could use some of the same accessories. They've come up with some interesting options to keep their radios charged in vehicles.

NNTN7624-2.jpg

ProClip_DSC_9228.jpg

vcm-5_06.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
No problem. Just let me know if you decide to tinker with it in the future, I'm happy to come up or you swing by the house to work on stuff. Same with solar stuff, BTW.

I wish ham radio brands would stick with form factors and batteries terminals from their sister commercial lines so we could use some of the same accessories. They've come up with some interesting options to keep their radios charged in vehicles.

View attachment 594579

View attachment 594580

View attachment 594582

Dave I’d like to call on you soon to help me clean up my wiring, hook up the solar panel on my RTT and get 12V power to it. I have a good place here to do it and it’s cooler here. We can work under my carport. I have a well equipped shop too but the truck won’t go in when the RRT is mounted.

I’m headed to Washington State around July 10 for another ROF Trip and I’d like to get that stuff done before I leave. I don’t expect you to give your expertise away. Lunch and beer $$ or something.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998