Need help choosing between a new Roush ford ranger, Colorado zr2 (gas) or a Toyota Tacoma.

Unfortunately just got the news that my vehicle was mechanically totaled. I was looking to get a vehicle in the next month or two but not so soon.

I'm currently hoping to spend ~50kish CAD for the vehicle. I spend my weekends often fishing, biking or hiking/camping and am in a large snowfall region.

I drive ~15k a year and would like somewhat decent mpg.

Currently the prices here are:
Ford ranger: 46k
Zr2: 50k
Tacoma: 50k

Any advice is appreciated

Hey all,

Unfortunately the Roush ranger sold before I got to the dealer today. But the dealer was scuzzy and advertised it for 46k online and via phone and then in person added on 9k in "market fees". They then tried to sell me a 2020 ranger with 40k on it with paint missing on the door sills and front bumper and added in a $2800 "Alberta prep package" which was oil changes, tire rotations and free detailing for a year lmfao.

Needless to say I didn't get either the Roush or the 2020 ranger.

I'm looking at a 2020 ranger with 9000kms on it for 47k now and a zr2 bison for 52k

What equipment does the roush ranger have?

It was sold before I arrived this morning to the dealer.

The options were:

Standard Package Components
Includes
ROUSH Grille with Dual LED Light Bars
Painted Fender Flares with Integrated Lighting
ROUSH Performance Suspension
ROUSH Dual Tip Cat-Back Exhaust System
18-Inch Satin Black ROUSH Wheels
32-Inch General Tire Grabber ATX All-Terrain Tires
ROUSH Fender Heat Extractors
Premium ROUSH Leather Interior
ROUSH Gauge Cluster
Serialized Interior Badge
ROUSH Floor Liners by WeatherTech
ROUSH Graphics Package
Red Tow Hooks
ROUSH Tailgate Badge
Locking Lug Nuts
ROUSH Hitch Cover
ROUSH Key Fobs

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Fan boy… All the new midsized stuff is good. Tacoma is just a dog running a Camry motor ??
I’m a realist- the total cost of ownership is real, look at used Toyotas vs domestic vehicles. If I was driving one everyday I’d prefer the Ranger power plant, but would probably live with the Toyota due to reliability and long term value. I’m not sure that makes me a fanboy- but if it does ok.?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
and am in a large snowfall region.
The new Colorado AT4 looks damn good!! Most modern of the mid sized
I believe the Colorado is the only one with auto 4x4 as well.

For winter driving it's a very nice feature to have. Put it in auto 4x4 when the 1st snowfall comes and leave it there till spring.

The truck will kick into 4x4 when ever it needs to automatically. It's a feature I wish my F150 had.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hey all,

Unfortunately the Roush ranger sold before I got to the dealer today. But the dealer was scuzzy and advertised it for 46k online and via phone and then in person added on 9k in "market fees". They then tried to sell me a 2020 ranger with 40k on it with paint missing on the door sills and front bumper and added in a $2800 "Alberta prep package" which was oil changes, tire rotations and free detailing for a year lmfao.

Needless to say I didn't get either the Roush or the 2020 ranger.

I'm looking at a 2020 ranger with 9000kms on it for 47k now and a zr2 bison for 52k
I was dealing with a dealer in Edmonton that tried something similar. I think it was mud flaps, bug deflector and something else. Said they add it to the truck as soon as they hit the lot. They didn't end up selling me a truck.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I’m a realist- the total cost of ownership is real, look at used Toyotas vs domestic vehicles. If I was driving one everyday I’d prefer the Ranger power plant, but would probably live with the Toyota due to reliability and long term value. I’m not sure that makes me a fanboy- but if it does ok.?
You obviously haven’t priced any used truck recently. Plus resale value on a vehicle is the same rabbit hole as what do you want your monthly payment to be. You never buy a depreciating asset vehicle based on perceived future value. These aren’t collector vehicles there basic little pickup trucks for carrying bicycles, fishing and hunting gear for weekend warriors?

YetiX

As someone mentioned above, the Colorado ZR2 is the only one with Auto-4WD which is very handy in snow. It's also the only truck that comes from the factory with front and rear lockers. I don't know if you do your own maintenance, but oil changes on the Colorado (gas) are super easy.

jmmaxus

I was looking and test driving trucks 2-3 years ago ended up not buying a truck but at the time here are my thoughts and comparisons:

Tacoma TRD Off-road: I liked the terrain selection and the layout and feel of the interior except I’m 6’2” and didn’t fit comfortably, also the backseat on the 4 door cab was cramped to the point my teenage son wouldn’t fit either. The Tacoma has a sit on floor feeling.

Ranger FX4: interior was nice and I fit in it and the backseat was roomier and could actually seat an adult in the back. The turbo engine seemed to have more pickup than the Tacoma.

Colorado ZR2: I’m not a Chevy fan but I have to admit the handling and feel of the ride in the ZR2 was superior to the others. I think it’s the Spool Valve shocks they make the truck ride very smooth. Even my die hard Toyota truck friend riding in the back during the test drive was impressed. We drove the Tacoma and ZR2 back to back. The ZR2 had less room than the Ford but more than the Tacoma. Dealbreaker was it had no Adaptive Cruise control at the time and I don’t think it has it now either. Can’t go back to normal cruise control.

If the next Gen Tacoma improves interior room I’d buy that. Right now I’d likely buy the Ford Ranger. If the GM twins had adaptive cruise I’d consider it over the Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179