Need help figuring out a door handle mechanism

pods8

Explorer
(Double post from my design thread in case there are some ideas of folks in this section of the forum not in the pop-up area).

This is for my camper build. Over lapping hardwall design, need to figure out how to open the outer door when the top is down and thus the inner door is blocking it.

I was thinking of using basic trimark RV handles like this:
31kMCv4Vx2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My door thickness is 2", since the above handles are for 1.25-1.5" doors that helps me out so I can recess the inner handle mount .5-.75" into the door. I was thinking about putting cable controls into the door core and routing the actuation part near the top of the door (which would be above the inner/lower door). The lock latch is just back and forth which would be fairly easy, the latch release would likely need to have the cable control drilled into the housing to actually pull the latch release. Thoughts or better ideas?

20110425_130933.jpg

pods8

Explorer
Tri mark has some latches that use rod linkages that would solve this problem. I will dig up a part number for you.

I'd be interested to see what you pull up for consideration.

Another decent suggestion I got is pushing the plunger from the door jab side (still would take a rod or cable to do so).

However putting a small inward swinging "peep" hatch in the lower interior door to reach through also sounds like fairly easy & fool proof means as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior