Need help finding a JKU internal cargo rack that sits high

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I've searched high and low for an internal cargo rack that sits high up near the roof. All the ones I have found sit at the height of the wheel wells. The Teraflex one is the only I found that was height adjustable, but at 23" it's still too low. I remember seeing one that had roll bar clamp similar to the Rock Hard sport cage types. That seems like you can move it up and down all you want, but have no clue who makes it. Rock Hard doesn't. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

daveh

Adventurer
Have you looked at the interior rack from Adventure Trailers? It sits pretty high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rubicon91

Explorer
Are you trying to clear a 50 qt fridge or something? The only ones I have found that sit high were the TF and AT ones. Others didnt fit over my 50 qt. Here is the TF installed in case you had not seen how high it can go. Not sure if it is high enough for what you are asking but figured I would post a pic.

Attachments

• 20161011_132538_resized.jpg
    20161011_132538_resized.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 40

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Are you trying to clear a 50 qt fridge or something? The only ones I have found that sit high were the TF and AT ones. Others didnt fit over my 50 qt. Here is the TF installed in case you had not seen how high it can go. Not sure if it is high enough for what you are asking but figured I would post a pic.

Greatly appreciate the pic. I haven't seen the Teraflex one mounted that high. Only had measurements from their page. Unfortunately it needs to be a couple of inches higher. Thanks for the pic. It really helps to get a better idea.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I made my own to clamp to the roll cage bars. The issue you will have is that the higher it goes, the farther forward it moves (or the hole position needs to change. It would be pretty easy to make one, and probably not impossible to modify someone else's to sit higher.

How high are you looking for? How far from the roof?

Loading becomes harder as you go up due to the amount the top drops down to the start of the glass.

I posted pics of my system in the "show your storage" sticky. I don't have the pic ready to post here and now.

Nate.

theksmith

Explorer
i put in a Front Runner rear storage shelf in my JKU. it sits decently high, but i did some mods to make it clear my Dometic CFX65-DZUS fridge plus the thickness of a custom slide and false floor.

the main thing was adding a couple 1.5" x 1" aluminum tubes to lift it 1.5". i also had to re-drill the Front Runner mounting brackets to move them just over 1" forward when i did this so that the shelf would clear the angled rear roll bar. i still have about an inch between the edge of the shelf and the back seat. it now sits just a tiny bit higher at the top than the back seat. i also changed the way their slat bolts worked to gain another 1/2".

i think customizing the Teraflex shelf brackets would have been easier, but someone gave me the Front Runner shelf for very cheap. post #6 of this thread has full details on the changes i made: https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4761

Yuke

Adventurer
If you flip the teraflex brackets around you can get it up about 8 inches down from the opening of the glass.

rubicon91

Explorer
Greatly appreciate the pic. I haven't seen the Teraflex one mounted that high. Only had measurements from their page. Unfortunately it needs to be a couple of inches higher. Thanks for the pic. It really helps to get a better idea.
No problem that is at its highest point however there is a bracket that attaches to the roll bar holes where soft top attaches. From there you attach to the shelf. I am sure you could quite easily make another small bracket to attach and raise it higher. If you need any measurements for how high it is let me know. It has 3 heights I believe and this is the highest it goes with the brackets at hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rubicon91

Explorer
If you flip the teraflex brackets around you can get it up about 8 inches down from the opening of the glass.
Yeah didn't even think about it this way. It could work. I don't need mine any higher I wanted one to clear my fridge but yeah I don't see why this couldn't happen then you can crank it up higher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears