Need help: Is this 1988 4 Runner worth $12k

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 2.7L is a 3RZ-FE and it does well. It has 150HP and the 22R-E had 115HP. Your 4 cylinder makes the same power as the original 3.0L 3VZ-FE V6 Toyota used in the 88-95 trucks.

The first 3L v6 is a hot mess. Terrible engine design. I'm surprised there are any left. Must have been kept on life support.

The first generation 4runners are crazy lightweight and did great with the really good 4banger. The down side? They crumple like a tin can if hit by a modern rig, or roll over. Tge crawler guys arent religious about roll cages because they look cool.

12k get a Sequoia, get a Tundra hell get a V8 4runner.

Arktikos

Explorer
The first 3L v6 is a hot mess. Terrible engine design. I'm surprised there are any left. Must have been kept on life support...

It's not so bad. There are a ton of them still going around here. 200-300K isn't unusual mileage for this engine.

But yeah, newer Toyota engines are better.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It's not so bad. There are a ton of them still going around here. 200-300K isn't unusual mileage for this engine.

But yeah, newer Toyota engines are better.
True. If the 3VZ is the worst thing Toyota has ever designed then that's pretty good. Truth is the 3.4L is pretty close to the same engine, although not many parts actually interchange, but the design is the similar and the HG issues can pop up as well. The main difference is the 3.4L has DOHC and 4 valve of course and Toyota learned I think from the 3.0L on how to make headgaskets that would last. The early engines that got rebuilds and later engines last a dang long time.

7echo

Adventurer
It is a used car dealer likely. They are in hopes that someone will want that truck due to an emotional connection, a guy with money now that sold his old '88 years ago and wants that style again.

You can buy 2 decent 3rd gens for that price. Or spend $8K on a nicer 3rd gen and outfit it really nice for the balance of what they are asking for the older truck.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
TL;DR: No, it's not worth $12k. As mentioned above, probably a car lot on a fishing expedition for a fool and his money.

I haven't followed the used market lately, but at $6-$8k it might be worth considering if it's in extremely good condition with recent in-depth services and a long, documented service history, but even then I'd question the decision unless you are absolutely in love with having a 1st gen 4runner.

The 3VZE is far from perfect, but it's also not nearly the ticking time-bomb that the internet community would have you believe. I've had two; the first was in a 94 pickup and had 190k on it when I broke it being an idiot. The second was in an '88 4runner and had 345k on it when it sucked in a foreign object somehow and destroyed a piston and chewed up a head. I tore it down to the block, rebuilt it, and kept on driving it two more years before I was again and idiot and fell for the siren-song of Cummins turbo-diesel goodness. Take reasonably good care of them and the 3VZE is not as problematic as it's reputation would indicate.

That being said, they are anemic and uttery "meh" from a performance and economy standpoint. Although I wouldn't say no to the right truck on account of it having a 3VZE, it would have to be the right truck at the right price. This 4runner is not that truck, even with the 22RE.

Also consider that these 1st gen 4runners are now around 30 years old. Scads of them were made worldwide, and most chassis and drivetrain parts are shared with the same-era pickups, so hard parts won't be an issue, but the little bits and pieces are getting to be a pain in the neck to find. Things like trim, turn signals, grille, etc... are few and far between unless you live in a region where these older Toyotas were pretty common. In LA, probably less of an issue than it is for me here in "jap crap, buy domestic" country, but do bear it in mind. Pieces and parts will eventually break, and if you want to replace them it will be painful, either in terms of time spent finding them, or cost; possibly both.

I LOVED my '88 4runner and would happily own another if they could be found in decent condition for reasonable prices still. I wish there were an LMC truck or Man-a-Fre catalog equivalent for 80s era non-LC Toyotas, because they are some of the best vehicles ever made and I'd love to have another without having to worry about finding parts in a timely fashion.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I wish there were an LMC truck or Man-a-Fre catalog equivalent for 80s era non-LC Toyotas, because they are some of the best vehicles ever made and I'd love to have another without having to worry about finding parts in a timely fashion.
Northwest Offroad: http://www.northwestoffroad.com
LC Engineering: http://www.lcengineering.com
The go-to was Downey (RIP).

But for restoration parts, yeah, not really anything quite like MAF or SOR.

Here in Colorado we have the Yota Yard and Yota Jim. You guys out there have Yotaman.
http://yotayard.com
http://www.yodajims.com
http://www.yodaman.net

wyoidi

Wowza! you could build a pretty amazing rig for 12k and an old worn out 'Runner that usually go for 1k-3k. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 88' 22re and would feel like I robbed someone for selling it for half that...then again I'd never sell it so what do I know haha. That being said, parts are not hard to come by at all, either for the engine (engnbldr.com) or aftermarket accessories (google). In fact I've been pleasantly surprised by how cheap quality parts are to source during my rebuild. No it's not a race car, but I can cruise comfortably down the road at 70 all day and still get over 20 mpg and then go just about anywhere I want off the highway. I can't think of a better all-around rig IMHO

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I always wanted to think my '86 was worth that kind of coin. Ultimately, they suffer from a bit of a luxury tax, in that they're hard to find in good shape.

I paid $700 for mine (out of Washington) and it was a gem. I still miss that thing.

Just a bit of advice... 1st gen 4runners are not comfortable. At least not compared to a third gen with a v8. They are however, a total blast to drive and own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger