Need help on 05 Sequoia - Limited air suspension failing - bought LC 100 springs

TacticalSr5

53742_10151133795124003_1169955889_o.jpg
Formerly a 4Runner guy, gearing up an all purpose expedition vehicle on the sequoia Platform.

IMG_4351.jpg
Late this May I bought a 2005 limited Sequoia 4x4.

FullSizeRender 8.jpg FullSizeRender 9.jpg
Put bilstein 5100's on the front just days after buying it, and left to New Mexico from Oklahoma with my girlfriend.

IMG_4491.jpgIMG_4533.jpg
7 hours in and 70 miles away from the first campsite, the rear air suspension deflated and the weight of the back end began to rest on the axle itself. At this point I find that when this happens, the ride will suck at 65 mph and 5 mph alike. In a canyon with no cell service at midnight, we rode it out to the camp site. Of course, I was heated, thinking deflated is how it would be all trip long..

IMG_4850.jpgIMG_4851.jpg
When it finally aired back up regularly it was 4 days later and in santa fe, our last leg of the trip.

It has been mostly fine since leaving NM. Thankfully, but I am gearing up as best I can to replace the air bags with coils.

Now I have 100 series land cruiser springs to replace these air bags, but don't know what parts I will need to buy so that I can set the 2005 Limited Sequoia up to receive a pair coils again.

IMG_4959.jpgIMG_4959.jpg

That is my biggest challenge, and I can find VERY little information online about it. I have spent over 10 hours searching the google and related forums for which parts to buy. But I NEED HELP.

Can I get the parts needed from an SR5 at the junkyard? Is that the easiest way to accomplish the deed? Because finding these parts new online is not facilitated. I am not sure what ALL I need to make sure that the job is done "properly!"

Can someone help me out with a link or some wisdom?

Much thanks in advance, can't wait to show you this sequoia amongst the much larger sequoias of California late this July for the real first expedition test.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I had an LC and own a 06 sequoia today. Why not just put Sequoia springs on? Pretty sure the LC springs are too light. Sequoias came with standard suspension. Mine handles loads pretty well takes a pretty heavy load to start the rear sag on the standard springs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just looked I suspect the Sequoia set up is shorter beefier spring also. My LC springs seemed much longer and for sure were not as beefy lower load rating etc. 2016-06-20 09.43.21.jpg
2016-06-20 09.42.47.jpg

sseaman

Adventurer
I swapped 100 series springs on the 04 Sequoia we had a while back and it did net some lift, we didn't have the air suspension so not sure what will be required. Maybe get some pics and post those for more feedback.

99Yota

Observer
I contemplated swapping out the airbags for coils on a vehicle (GX470) but found these guys:

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/TOYOTA-Sequoia-suspension.php

Although I had a different vehicle, the concepts are similar.
There are 3 components which are suspect:
- Airbag (most likely) link = cheaper than dealership replacement
- Sensor (less likely) junkyard = replacement
- Pump (possible) junkyard = replacement

If you have been finding your vehicle down on the bumpstops first thing upon starting vehicle, likely the airbag(s). If you've experienced the height extend all the way and respond to the height adjustment inputs, likely a sensor.

If you can't hear the pump initiate when trying to raise the vehicle with the level switch, possibly the pump because:
a) The relay (or fuse) is bad
b) It died

If you have your air setup still installed, it might be worth checking which of the 3 components failed. Assuming it is an airbag, you'll retain the ability to load level when towing which is something going straight coils can't do. Soapy water and a flashlight can be your friend.

If you do decide on coils, check out OME as they have lots of Toyota specific applications. Not sure whether Sequoias were ever offered with coil suspension but you could always go with a stock setup and insert an aftermarket airbag for load leveling purposes...

XPLORx4

Adventurer
Other than disabling the AHC system, the only other parts you need to replace AHC air bags with standard coil springs are 2 spring isolators, part number 48313-0C020 (approx $125 each)

The spring mount on the axle is already designed to accept coil springs (or air springs). Only the top mount needs a different spring seat.

Be aware that LC100 coil springs will net an increase in the ride height, so you may need to adjust your front suspension to match any potential rear lift.

I have an '05 with AHC also, and I had considered replacing the air bags with coil springs, but I opted instead to keep the air springs, since after I lifted it and put 33" tires on, it won't fit in my garage unless I set the AHC to "low".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78