Need Help With Set Up/Needs

aquawolfe

I use my truck for daily driver/towing/hunting/camping/traveling. I want a CB or HAM. I work for the fire dept and we use 800mhz. Can I scan those channels? Also for long out back stuff I would like to be able to send emergency traffic when out of cell phone range. I am looking at Kennwood 71A. Will this be able to communicate with Garmin Hand Helds such as 530/520 or will I have to use a CB? If CB what model do you guys recommend? Sorry for so many questions but I am comfused on what I need. I can get a HAM license if needed. I just want the best set up using one radio.

w squared

Observer
It sounds like a HAM would do most of what you want. If you want to scan channels in the 800mhz range, then you will want a dual-band UHF/VHF rig.

This will also allow you to use local repeaters, giving you far better coverage than a CB.

HAM radios will not generally be able to communicate with FRS/GMRS radios unless you perform modifications to the HAM. It is illegal to transmit on those channels unless you are involved in a distress/emergency situation.

PhulesAU

Explorer
NO 800 mhz. with a HF rig you would be able to monitor CB, talking on it would be a No-No. As would be frs/gmrs.

aquawolfe

So if I use my Garmin I'm limited to range. So I need a Ham radio for emergencies and a good CB gmrs and communicating to others on Garmin radios. Is that what I'm looking at?

gary in ohio

Explorer
So if I use my Garmin I'm limited to range. So I need a Ham radio for emergencies and a good CB gmrs and communicating to others on Garmin radios. Is that what I'm looking at?

Might be some confustion and to WHAT your garmin is, Garmin has a 520/830 GPS and a Garmin Rino 520 and 530 GMRS/FRS and GPS 2 way radio. I assume your referring to the Rino radio's. Those are GMRS and require a licnese to use on most of the channels. They will not talk to CB or ham radios, They are different radio services. I dont think the Rino's have NEMA output so you not going to beable to link the GPS to the ham radio.

I think we need to step back and define your needs. Long range, short range mean nothing without a scale. What do you consider long haul, what is short.
The Kenwood TM-V71A is a dualband VHF (2 meters) and UHF (70cm) radio. It will require at least a technician license to operate. Range will depend on many factors, mobile to mobile 10-20 miles, longer range is possible with repeaters (repeats your radio signal from a high location with more power than your mobile).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger