Need input on FWC options (new 2016)

gsanders

Observer
Some advice from a non-FWC owner but an owner of a Phoenix camper. We have owned it for a few years now. Answers/input/suggestions in bold.

Thanks for the great input! I massaged the option list.

Exterior lights - deleted

Good idea

2nd battery deleted (will add later if needed)

I don't know what batteries they come with stock, but I did much research on batteries when we first bought the camper because the single group 27 deep cycle was shot. I ended up scrapping the "normal" RV deep cycle route and instead wired up 2 deep cycle golf cart batteries. MUCH, MUCH, MORE batter capacity at a similar size. I built a custom sealed battery storage that hooked up to the existing battery vent out of an Action Packer storage case that you can buy almost anywhere. So much more battery storage -- I can run our furnace, LED lights, and water pump for days without recharging.
Solar deleted (will do this myself)

Yakima tracks only, kept

Good plan, even if you don't use them they are a good resale option

Jacks deleted (will source some used ones somewhere)

I take my camper on and off a lot, so I like them, but that is totally up to you.

Furnace added (might as well spoil myself lol)

Furnace is great. The reason we got our camper was to be outside more in the winter. You live in Tahoe, do you ski? Nothing better than a ski road trip with the camper where you can camp in ski area parking lots and get off the mountain at the end of the day in a warm camper. Same can be said for in the morning to get going. I elk hunt with mine, the heater is a must. I looked at swapping our standard furnace for a catalytic, lots of pros/cons for each. The big thing for the catalytic for me is the open flame near our dogs/toddler as well as the venting.

Fridge, not sure on 65L or 85L. My ARB is 40L and with planning carried two of us through 10 days of Alaskan bush with no resupply, so I know 65L is sufficient. But would I regret not getting a bigger fridge? Would the energy needed increase in proportion to the size increase?

Up to you.

Fiberglass exterior, would this hold up better than aluminun to brush and tree limbs? All my rigs get really pinstriped from the dirt roads I'm addicted to. They get more overgrown each year.

I put a hole through our fiberglass with a tree limb and fiberglass is extremely challenging to patch/paint and make it look good. If it were me, I'd go aluminum. I thought the original FWCs were aluminum because of the durability and simplicity to repair but they decided to add fiberglass as an upgrade for looks.

Thanks again for the input, it is very helpful to get opinions from folks who have been there done that!

JonB

wyocoyote

If you haven't pulled the trigger consider The AT camper also out of near Sacramento. I like that they are a bit simpler in many ways though truly "clones" by folks that left FWC.
many peoples "over the phone" experiences have been better with AT (All terrain) at least when seeking parts/ service for there older FWC campers I hear. If your experience is different please post dont want to spread hearsay. Very unlike Alaskan who will drop just about anything to help you out no matter how ancient your "telescopic camper"

If you haven't pulled the trigger consider The AT camper also out of near Sacramento. I like that they are a bit simpler in many ways though truly "clones" by folks that left FWC.
many peoples "over the phone" experiences have been better with AT (All terrain) at least when seeking parts/ service for there older FWC campers I hear. If your experience is different please post dont want to spread hearsay. Very unlike Alaskan who will drop just about anything to help you out no matter how ancient your "telescopic camper"

Excellent customer service and attention to customization requests by ATC. I'm impressed by them.

jonb96150

Observer
Time for an overdue update from the OP.
I procrastinated on pulling the trigger on ordering a new Grandby for so long that when my wife asked when it would be ready to pick up I knew I was in trouble! So I renewed my search for a used one with newly found motivation.

Somewhere (I think it was on wander the west) I found a link to a virtually new 2016 that had been purchased from the Jackson Hole dealer. The orig owner used it for a short time and decided it was too small for his liking so he bought a Hallmark and left the Grandby at the Hallmark factory outside of Denver. The Hallmark folks listed it on their website as a courtesy to him. So I rolled the dice and drove 1200 miles to pick it up.

It had a lot of options that I would not have ordered but it was a front dinette model which is kind of hard to find used.
Options we would have ordered:
Jacks
Roof fan
Yakima tracks only
2nd deep cycle (they are nice AGM)
Front dinette
Gas strut lift assist
Porta potti (still in wrapper unused)

Now for the options we would not have ordered:

160 watt solar panel: I was going to do this myself and save some $, but now I'm glad it is already done and done right. The 160W does a great job of keeping the big batteries fully charged.

2.7 cu ft 3 way fridge: I would have opted for a compressor fridge.

Forced air furnace: I was going to install a catalytic heater requiring no power. The furnace is nice to take the chill off in the morning, but I would not want to hear it cycling on-off all night. And not as efficient as a catalytic, the furnace is exhausting BTU's to the outside as all furnaces do.

6 gallon water heater with outside shower: Don't know if the shower or water heater will get much or any use. Potable water is usually too precious in the boonies to use for showers. I would rather have more storage space.

8' Fiamma side awning with light: I have yet to use this in our 2 weeks of camping but I know it will get used. The main issue is that it is already pinstriped from trees and brush and I'm afraid it is going to be badly damaged. If it's not too hard to remove and install I will put it on for trips that don't involve tight overgrown two track trails.

Exterior LED lighting: It has the lights on the vertical sides of camper and also underneath the four corners of the camper. I really like these and am glad they were installed. Some folks said they never used them but I use them a lot. Most of our camping is boondocking, just a level spot in the middle of nowhere, and quite often there are rocks, holes, etc... to trip over after dark. Having these lights is great. With two of us it is hard to move around in the camper, so I can putter around, brush teeth, shave, just sit and read, listen to the radio, etc... outside after dark. It really adds to useful space after dark. The side lights and underneath lights are switched separately so you can use just the underneath lights for a more discrete light source that won't be seen from a distance unlike the side lights which are very bright. Not uncomfortable to look at, but can be seen at quite a distance. I even left them on all night as a test and still had 12.7V in the morning after using the interior lights quite a bit.

Thermal pack: Really glad it had this option. Seems to help keep the camper cooler when it is warm outside, as well as warmer when it is cold outside. Added bonus is that when you open the windows you can tuck them in between the thermal pack and the vinyl wall and they are out of the way. Especially the window above the stove. I have seen pix of that window just kind of flopping about close to the stove and sink. Looks awkward, in the way, and prone to cooking and dishwashing splatter.

After 40 years of tent camping we are in camper heaven! We use some nice self inflating pads on top of the supplied cushions which are a little firm for our old bones and sleep very well. Sometimes too well! With windows closed for warmth, and with the thermal pack it stays fairly dark inside and one morning we didn't get up until 08:30! We were really surprised at how late it was!

Thanks to all for the input. We are glad to be a part of the FWC group. I was in Reno yesterday and three different people came up to me and wanted to talk about the camper. I was surprised. Here at S. Lake Tahoe you see FWC campers several times a day, so I did not think they were so unusual. But there seems to be a lot of interest in them.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears