Need input on suburban purchase and suspension modifications!!

duxndogs

Observer
I've decided to buy a suburban (4wd of course) to use for camping, hunting, travel, etc. :smiley_drive:

My scenario: I do tow some, not much weight though- usually a lightweight pop up camper or trailer loaded up with 2 atv's when we go hunting. I have a company car so it wont be my daily driver. I'm looking for 2003+ models with considerably low mileage (less than 100k). There's plenty of 1500's on the used market but not too many 2500's, at least in my neck of the woods. I may have to travel some for the right truck. Bottom line - I want a reliable truck that I can load up the family & gear, hook up the camper and head across country for a week of camping in the mountains. I plan to keep this rig a long time!!

I can't decide b/w the 1500 or the 2500 model?

As far as suspension mods:
- I'm considering a nice leveling kit to give me 3 in the front and 1.5 (or whatever in the rear) and running 33's, maybe even 34's if they fit?
- also looking at the Rancho 4 lift kit, Rough Country 4 lift kit, maybe even a full blown 6 in lift? If I go with a lift kit it will likely just be a 4 in kit. Not sure I want to go a full 6 in. With a 4 in kit I'll run 34's, maybe even 35's. Not sure what it would be like driving a 6 in lifted truck with 35's across country??

If I was going for looks alone, which I'm not, it would be the 6 in lift with 35's! :drool:

If I go with a 2500 model with 35's will I need to re-gear?

I was thinking the GM 6.0 could easily handle a lift and larger tires. The standard gearing is 3.73 I believe, maybe 4.10? I need to check on that!

Anyway, I need some input from the experts before I pull the trigger! :victory:

Thanks!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Have a '87 2500 4x4 w/ 65k from Ca. Did a 2" BDS w/ 285/75-17 Toyos on H-2 wheels. Amazing orig condition. Having a total shoulder replacement in 10 days and selling some of the toys... PM if interested. And next door in NC!!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
^I would strongly consider that first!

Also I think it would benefit you to check out all the Sub builds in this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/110884-Collection-of-Build-Threads. If you haven't already checked it out it might give you some ideas on suspension height and tire size. If you go with a 1500 I don't think I would go much bigger than like a 285/70R17 with a leveling kit. The 2500's can handle more tire, but keep in mind that fuel mileage will suffer greatly especially with the 6.0. For 35's you can get away without a regear if the truck has 4.10's, but if it has 3.73's or 3.42's you will be hurting when towing or pulling hills. Going with more than just a leveling kit (the 4" and up lifts) will involve all the drop down brackets for the IFS. This isn't always ideal, and is more for looks than for those that get out and wheel their stuff.

evilfij

Explorer
Mine is older and I have 265 75r16 and am still happy with the 3.42s of course I am used to rovers with 80hp less.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
2500 is a must have IME. The 6.0L is one of the best engines out there.
-
Pure Beef rear axle on the 2500. The 1500 rear axle is pathetic. Bigger brakes IIRC as well.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I agree, a 2500 is a must have. You can't beat the 6.0L engine but not all 2500's with the 6.0L came with the 10.5” full-floating rear axle although all 8.1L equipped Suburban's did. Don't overlook 8.1L Suburban's due to fuel economy as they really don't get any worse fuel economy than a 6.0L. I've had both engines in HD Silverado's and the difference in power was huge while the difference in fuel economy was barely noticeable.

As a far as suspension, Cognito Motorsports seems to have the cure-all for all things GM IFS related.

duxndogs

Observer
As a far as suspension, Cognito Motorsports seems to have the cure-all for all things GM IFS related

I think you're right...I was looking at their kits the other day and like what I see. I've also read good things about their lifts on some of the GM forums. Leaning that way!

duxndogs

Observer
2500 is a must have IME. The 6.0L is one of the best engines out there.
-
Pure Beef rear axle on the 2500. The 1500 rear axle is pathetic. Bigger brakes IIRC as well.

Buliwyf - thanks for your insight! I've read many of your posts in the past and read your F250 build up. You seem to have quite a bit of practical experience and you know you're 3/4 ton trucks.

I do like the idea of the 6.0. My bro-in law has a 2500 HD with the 6.0 and he loves it! I'm not too concerned with mpg as I won't use this truck as a DD.

What kind of mileage can one get out of the 6.0 if well maintained? What about transmission? I think they used the 4L80E for the years I'm looking at. Other pros - service and parts should be readily available. Should have plenty of pulling power for my needs.

I'm hoping I can find one with decent miles for the $ I'm wanting to spend.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

duxndogs

Observer
Found through a friend-of-a-friend a 2003 suburban 2500 4x4 with 47k miles.

Trying to buy it!

What do you guys think?

I'm thinking I'm going to buy it! Rare find with that kind of mileage! :wings:

Last edited:

Jon Nelson

Observer
Too bad you're back in NC (we spent 29yrs in Richmond VA) - we're probably going to change up our vehicles soon and our '03 2500 Yukon XL with Quadraster/Lether/3rd seat etc might have to go in order to make parking space for an additional vehicle for work....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12