Need more power

thefnswits

Hi I have a 2007 FG140 and its a big slug. It has a 10ft masonry body and toolbix betwwen the cab and dump bed. Last time I was getting materials it tipped the scales at 9930 lbs!

I have two 10k lb capacity trailers, one of which weighs almost 3400 lbs. when I attach the trailer this truck struggles! I need more power out of this engine...is there any aftermarket ECU programmers, intakes, exhausts, anything??? what can I add that wont void my warranty? thanks all!

kerry

Expedition Leader
I''m surprised. I've got a 99 with the smaller engine and I'm running close to 12k and I don't notice any lack of power. I've been impressed with how it pulls the passes in the Rocky Mtns.

Amesz00

Adventurer
theres a diesel chip company in Australia that does piggy-back chips for fusos, for bout $1500AUD you plug it in, and it gives around 20-25% more power/torque by changing the injection volume and timing (advancing it).
this is probly best done in conjunction with a good exhaust (at least 3" mandrel bent). the intake is not so critical, but is not too crash hot if your chasing lots of oomph. after a chip and exhaust, you can go to boost controllers, allowing you to wind up the stock turbo a few psi, but normally you'll find the stock setup sits right in its efficiency range at stock boost, so if you want lots more boost, as defenderbeam said, its aftermarket turbos etc.

Andrew

thefnswits

this truck is SLoooooow. when i was pulling a new 2500 lb trailer i bought today up a highway pass (maybe 4-5% grade) It struggles to hold an acceptable highway speed of like 50MPH.

How often should the fuel filter be changed?

are there any intake options that have better flow than the 6 foot long snorkel tube? does K&N have an air filter for it?

finally....1500 AUD for a piggyback chip!~?!?! that's insane! is there any company that sells exhausts for these? At low speeds in 1st through 3rd gear this truck will pull a house but once i get onto any main roads i'd hate to get stuck behind me towing anything heavy!

thanks again!

engineer

Adventurer
How many miles on the rig?
K&N didn't make much difference to mine...
Check the intake just below the top, there is a massive restriction via a water extraction. I removed this and replaced with a straight stainless intake with slight improvement, donaldson ram feed intake on top makes it better at high speed also.
Let us know how you go!!
Chock

Amesz00

Adventurer
this truck is SLoooooow. when i was pulling a new 2500 lb trailer i bought today up a highway pass (maybe 4-5% grade) It struggles to hold an acceptable highway speed of like 50MPH.

yeah mate i have the same problem because the 39" tyres simulate a fully loaded truck.

are there any intake options that have better flow than the 6 foot long snorkel tube? does K&N have an air filter for it?

replace the entire section from the 4" inlet of the filter upwards with 4" stainless or aluminium pipe, with a ram style head. this and and exhaust with at most a straight-through muffler will probly see you about 5% gain. will definetly feel more willing at higher rpm.

finally....1500 AUD for a piggyback chip!~?!?! that's insane! is there any company that sells exhausts for these? At low speeds in 1st through 3rd gear this truck will pull a house but once i get onto any main roads i'd hate to get stuck behind me towing anything heavy!

i know seems exy. but then there is nobody else that does anything for them. its not like F-truck, ram or silverardo, which every man and his dog make an upgrade computer setup for that will easily see you 500HP, funnily enough there isnt that many people that want thier FG to make 300RWHP...
oh BTW, i just ordered one of these chips for my rig, gets here on thursday, so ill let you know how it turns out.

is there any company that sells exhausts for these?

any good exhaust shop should be able to rig you up a decent exhaust, its mostly straight bits of pipe.

Andrew

dzzz

I wouldn't bother with intake or exhaust unless the tuner tells you it's needed at a certain power level. Even if these changes make a difference the cost per horsepower/torque is extremely high.
Bigger diesels can add 100 horsepower with just tuning. Hopefully the little fuso engine is de-tuned a bit for longevity.
If your underpowered most days you have the wrong truck. I assume your not in the U.S. as you mention masonry, heavy towing, and Fuso FG in the same paragraph. :)

Amesz00

Adventurer
I wouldn't bother with intake or exhaust unless the tuner tells you it's needed at a certain power level.

cant see why this would be. the exhausts on these things are ridiculous, like trying to blow through a drinkning straw. good 3" zorst stops it from feels like a wheezing asthmatic at mid or high rpm. intake is not so crutial unless chasing big boost.

Hopefully the little fuso engine is de-tuned a bit for longevity.

yes it is.

You are pretty much out of luck if you're in the US as they don't bother to answer emails. Maybe they have more business than they want.

hmm, interesting. you could also try a helpful dealer (is there such thing??) who has the software to get into the computer and ask them to make a few alterations?? ive also heard that mitsubishi ECU's are not hard to hack into...

Do any of the company"s piggy back systems fit the FG649 ?

im fitting a DPchip to my FG649 tomoro. let you know how it goes.

Andrew

ozzyfishaman

Adventurer
Im fitting a DPchip to my FG649 tomoro. let you know how it goes.

Andrew
Hi Andrew, I am interested in how you find the performance of the DP Chip, forget all the hype about 25 to 30% increase in power most of the manufactures advertise, you cannot beat the on road performance testing.
I sell a variety of performance chips and programmers to suit a huge range of common rail diesel trucks, I find for the Fuso's and Isuzu's the Stienbauer Module definitely out performs the other modules or chips as most people refer to them .In my own Isuzu NPS I have tried quite a few modules and settled on a Stienbauer as it gave me the most torque and power without question.
Performance comes at a cost though, the Stienbauer Retails in OZ for $1992.00 and the Diesel Power Chip that I rate second retails for $1195.00,so your DP Chip (Backed by Berrima Diesel in NSW AU ) is in the Middle of the Two.
Cheers Ozzyfisherman

alan

Explorer
I totaly agree, we have fitted many different so called chips and have found the steinbauer outperforms them all, it's the only one that controls injection and monitors engine parameters, increase the fuel rail pressure as most do, is asking for trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle