Need opinions on '03 Toyota Sequoia for sale

motodh

I'm looking for a 4x4 rig for back country exploring in Central Oregon, light to medium off road use with the family. Any suggestions for other SUVs that can seat 7 would be appreciated. I have a budget of $7,000 for a trail ready rig.

I'd like opinions on a 2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited w/ 270k miles for $7,000.

Here is the ad,
2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 270xxx miles 4.7 iForce V8 Everything works and runs exceptionally well. Doesn't burn a single drop of oil. These engines are known as the "million mile engine". 4WD kicks ass. Right now it sits in the driveway because we have too many vehicles and I start it up about once a week. Right now its a little dusty from all of the construction work going on across the street. This would also be a great base to start an overlander build. I've done a few things to it as upgrades and regular maintenance. -Aftermarket stereo and speaker system installed by InTune -New Powerstop Z36 drilled and slotted brake rotors and pads. -Factory TRD Pro 17" wheels with Maxxis Razr AT 265/70/17 10 ply tires. 14/32 tread remaining. -New battery. -New fuel level sensor. -Newer lower ball joints and shocks. 20k miles ago. -Aftermarket weld in Flowmaster muffler. -New downstream oxygen sensors.

03 seq ltd.jpg

REF

It sounds like it might check all your boxes, high mileage but well cared for. We had one from the same era, it was a great big beast and did everything we asked, towed pretty well, super reliable, but that iforce V8 certainly is thirsty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godzillus

Timing belts and lower ball joints are the big maintenance items on these. Some think the 05+ with the 5 speed auto is a better drivetrain. I don’t mind the power on my 04 with 33”s and stock gears. Price seems a little high at 7k with that many miles, but if you have some proof it was taken care of, it might be worth it

motodh

Timing belts and lower ball joints are the big maintenance items on these. Some think the 05+ with the 5 speed auto is a better drivetrain. I don’t mind the power on my 04 with 33”s and stock gears. Price seems a little high at 7k with that many miles, but if you have some proof it was taken care of, it might be worth it
Thanks! The seller bought the truck at 240k miles, he does not have many records from the previous owners of the truck. He has records for the past 30k miles since he has owned it. I felt $7k was high for the condition of the truck. The truck definitely showed wear in the interior. During the test drive, a few concerns came up like a faulty passenger door lock motor and the sunroof getting stuck. The seller is willing to negotiate but not by much.

drabina

Get information on the timing belt change. Should be done every 90K miles so either was recently changed or you are looking at additional $1K unless you can do it yourself (then it is $200 for the parts). Check underside for rust and operation of 4x4 with the locker. Lights should go on and be steady. Flashing lights mean something is wrong. This applies to turning the 4x4 on and off. You mentioned few non-working items. Be prepared for more just because of the age and mileage. Starter is under the intake so not that easy to replace. If there is rust under the car, check all fuel, brake and power steering lines. Also the tank straps. My tank was held by the skid plate with the straps rusted out.

The price in my opinion is high but the market these days is crazy. Took me months (if not more than a year) to find the Sequoia I own now. Same year, lower price, lower mileage but some issues (rust though frame was replaced under a recall).

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Get information on the timing belt change. Should be done every 90K miles so either was recently changed or you are looking at additional $1K unless you can do it yourself (then it is $200 for the parts). Check underside for rust and operation of 4x4 with the locker. Lights should go on and be steady. Flashing lights mean something is wrong. This applies to turning the 4x4 on and off. You mentioned few non-working items. Be prepared for more just because of the age and mileage. Starter is under the intake so not that easy to replace. If there is rust under the car, check all fuel, brake and power steering lines. Also the tank straps. My tank was held by the skid plate with the straps rusted out.

The price in my opinion is high but the market these days is crazy. Took me months (if not more than a year) to find the Sequoia I own now. Same year, lower price, lower mileage but some issues (rust though frame was replaced under a recall).

This is some good, experienced advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman